Looking for some help with SSBB hacks

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by bazamuffin, Apr 7, 2011.

Apr 7, 2011
  1. bazamuffin
    OP

Member bazamuffin RESIDENT DILF

United Kingdom
    I've looked around and from what I can see the people who know what they're doing using hacks assume everybody else knows. Ive spotted a Master Chief texture hack that I wanto to give a rasp, but I can find any clear tut on where to install everything. I've seen guides that talk about installing Riivolution, but nothing that gives the basics (i.e what file extensions go where)

I'm no noob with Wii modding but using texture hacks doesn't appear straight forward from the "explainations" I've seen. Some of the hacks have different extensions (.pac and .pcs), and some downloaded packs have subfolders too.

Just need to know what extensions go where, and obviously how to apply them. Some say Riivolution, some say GeckoOS.

Thanks in advance for any help

2. Hells Guardian

Member Hells Guardian GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    try taking a look at the Wiird forums.

3. M1r0

Member M1r0 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    GeckOS = Cheats
    Riivolution = Texture hacks.

If you want, I can help you with cheats...

4. gamefan5

Member gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Canada
    You can also use GeckoOS for texture hacks, like I do.

5. M1r0

Member M1r0 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    You can? I never knew that... How?

6. DBSharpy

Newcomer DBSharpy Member

United States
    Ooh, I have a bit of knowledge in this topic!

Now, Riivolution and GeckoOS are the two apps people use to run their Brawl hacks. However, in the end, it is mostly a matter of preference on which you use.

GeckoOS primarily does codes since it has Ocarina built in, but there is a code called the File Patch Code created by PhantomWings, he's something of a patron saint of Brawl Hacking. This code looks through folders in a predetermined file structure and patches files on disc with files on the SD card. It is reliable, and works on pretty much any functional Wii, regardless of update status, or even whether it has homebrew or not (using Smash Stack to load Gecko.) If you're using a USB Loader, I'm pretty sure it works with that too. It has the limitation of being a bit off on one of the folders (not much of a big deal) and also not being able to patch files with larger filesizes than normal (a huge limitation.) However, this usually does not get in the way.

Riivolution can do codes as well as file replacement with the proper XML, just as Gecko can do file replacement with the proper code. Pretty much, the upside to using Riivolution is that you can make your file structure anything you want, as well as have toggleable features, like turning on all textures, or only certain textures, etc etc etc. However, it cannot work with USB loaders, and seems to be finicky at times. Also, since it uses the SD card as part of the disc, you can't really save screenshots to your SD card (or anything for that matter.) I personally prefer Riivolution because I can run several mods off of the same SD card without having to take the SD card out of the Wii.

Pretty much, it's up to you about which one you wanna use.

7. bazamuffin
    OP

United Kingdom
    OK, I see. now I have downloaded a Master Chief "pac pack" from Kitty Corp and from what Ive read this is just a "re-skinned" Captain Falcon. Now I have folders in my SD:/private etc with the fighters names as per a guide (i.e Captain = Captain Falcon) do I simply place the .pac files in the Captain folder or do they have to be renamed? There are about 9 pac files all for different colours of character, for example I have 1 file named CyanFitCaptain03.pac. The standard file in the Captain Folder is named FitCaptain01.pac or something v.similar.

I have numerous files for different character textures but it doesn't detail anywhere where they should go and if they should be renamed. I have continued searching but all the tuts I come across seem to assume I already know certain things when clearly I dont. I do intend to use Riivolution to launch this providede I get file/folder structure correct

8. FIX94

Global Moderator FIX94 Global Moderator

Germany
    You need a xml, I personally use this one for brawl:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?vzyftddwz5t
    The file goes to SD:/riivoulution
    Then you need to place the pacs into the correct folder, in your case it would be SD:/private/wii/app/RSBP/pf/fighter/captain where you need to place the pacs. In riivolution you need to select the file code replacements for your default language. If you are starting the game everything should work fine.

9. bazamuffin
    OP

United Kingdom
    Do any of the texture files need to be renamed, or just place as is? I can't seem to find a clear answer on this

10. FIX94

Global Moderator FIX94 Global Moderator

Germany
    No rename needed, simply place them in the correct folders and it will work fine.

11. picano

Member picano GBAtemp Regular

United States
  12. bazamuffin
    OP

United Kingdom
    The link Picano gave me says that files have to be as they are on the ISO, does this not include the pac files? Again, I seem to be getting contradictions with exactly what needs to be done. Also, its talking about using codes with Riivolution but Im not using any codes just texture replacement (Riivolution and the .xml should take of this?). Not sure whether or not Im gonna fuck this off, its not v.clear at all and not sure if I can be arsed attempting to wing it

13. Nintendo_Chick

Member Nintendo_Chick GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The easiest way is with geckoOS or a usb loader with cheats. Enable the file patch code and put your
    files in the right folder
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

For example, if you wanted Darth Vader for Ganon, you would put FitGanon00.pac, FitGanon00.pcs, and FitGanonMotionEtc.pac in sd:\private\wii\app\RSBE\pf\Fighter\ganon\. You change the number on .pcs and .pac files to change what color the texture/vertex is replaced.
    So FitGanon00 would replace the normal color, and FitGanon02 would replace his green color.

The MotionEtc files change the character's attributes, like speed and movesets, and it goes over the entire character. So if you wanted to use the Darth Vader MotionEtc file, none of the other colors wouldn't work right, the CPUs also screw up with you use MotionEtc files. Most don't have this, so until you figure out what you're doing, just avoid them.

14. Xarael

Newcomer Xarael Newbie

United States
    To further specify/ add to picano's reply: KC-MM (specifically Brawl Vault) has not only faqs and tutorials but also the programs and files; essentially all you need to start hacking Brawl yourself. plus hacks other members of that site have made are available for download there. (p.s. I just registered to this site moments ago, I don't know if I broke any rules by suggesting another site and if so, I apologize. And regarding whether to use Riivolution or a USB Loader depends on if you're using a disk or, shall we say "software" form of the game.
    By the way: the folders to place the hacks in (if using Riivolution) SD:/private/app/RSBE/pf/fighter/mario (to use a mario character hack as an example), you'll have to ask someone on the aforementioned site for help with anything other than character hacks.