Looking for Saturn Advice

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by whyyes, May 23, 2013.

1. whyyes
    OP

whyyes GBAtemp Regular

Sep 20, 2009
    United States
    I really love the system and have been playing games via SSF on my PC. However, my PC isn't the most powerful thing and I'm looking into purchasing a system. That said, shipping prices online are obscene because of the weight of the system, and half don't come with a controller or hookups. Which leaves me to try and find one locally. I have 3 - 4 shops that *may* have a console in. My question is, what is a reasonable price to pay? A couple years ago it was $40.

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Depends on the condition of the system and what it comes bundled with - starting from about $50 for a standard used system and up if it's well-kept or with games.

3. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    I think $40-50 is a reasonable price. If you can find Sega Saturn modchips then it will be a worthwhile investment. Otherwise, just a normal disk swap trick is enough to get burnt CD-Rs of Saturn ISOs running.

4. Chary

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    The retro game store that I go to has one for $80, but it comes in pristine condition, with all hookups

5. whyyes
    OP

whyyes GBAtemp Regular

Sep 20, 2009
    United States
    The chain of stores I was referencing sells all consoles with a controller and hookups, guaranteed for 30 days. So. If I find one for 50~60 I suppose I'll pick it up. I know where to get a modchip for $30 if I decide to go that route, but I actually have game discs :P
    I will need an Action Replay though, and that's another 30~ because I have imports.

6. wolffangalchemist

wolffangalchemist This is bat country!

Nov 23, 2008
    United States
    middleofnowhere, AL
    there are saturn disc images floating around online that where used by developers on normal hardware to test burned games, these disc unlock the system to use CD-R's without swamping till you reboot the system and i think some even make it region free.

7. whyyes
    OP

whyyes GBAtemp Regular

Sep 20, 2009
    United States
    This is the first I've ever heard of such a thing. Details?

8. wolffangalchemist

Nov 23, 2008
    United States
    middleofnowhere, AL
    they are on a torrent site that is for retro games ONLY and that torrent site used to be associated with another one that exist no more called bitgamer.

9. whyyes
    OP

whyyes GBAtemp Regular

Sep 20, 2009
    United States
    I'm pretty sure I know what site you're referencing. Underground Gamer? Unfortunately don't have an invite there. Still don't see how one of those would run without an already modded saturn / swap trick, thus defeating the point.

EDIT: Well that wasn't hard to find http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/other-consoles/sega-saturn/sega-saturn-system-disc-kd01-2/ Unfortunately, fairly useless.

There's also one on eBay...

Smuff likes this.
  10. EMP Knightmare

EMP Knightmare Fixing GBATemp's Feng Shui Engine (using Win XP)

May 3, 2010
    United States
    New York
    If you are in NYC there are tons of shops devoted to retro consoles and from what I've seen they have been marked anywhere from $50 - $110. All in very good condition with hookups included and 1 game pad, some even come with a game or the original box ^_^

11. whyyes
    OP

whyyes GBAtemp Regular

Sep 20, 2009
    United States
    Not quite, I'm near Cleveland in Ohio, which is a major city, but Saturns are kinda scarce around here. That said, games do show up in the retro stores and move quickly. Saw an original House of the Dead yesterday.

EMP Knightmare likes this.
  12. wolffangalchemist

Nov 23, 2008
    United States
    middleofnowhere, AL
    Yes but if you use it once with the swap trick it lets you boot any burned Cd-r saturn game after without swapping again so long as the console isn't turned off. it can save some wear and tear on disc.

13. whyyes
    OP

whyyes GBAtemp Regular

Sep 20, 2009
    United States
    True. I may look into that. If it doesn't work for me I'll just chip it. There are only a few I'd use ISOs for, most things are very well affordable.

14. Smuff

Smuff Fossilized Gamer

Jul 29, 2006
    By the sea
    Take it from me, chip the thing - The chip is so easy to install after all.

As for "affordable", well maybe. It depends what you're after. With a chip you can at least save yourself from having to buy the ridiculously priced games like Radiant Silvergun, Panzer Dragoon Saga, etc.

It will also enable you to avoid that sickening feeling of dropping a large sum of money on a copy of Courier Crisis only to find that it totally sucks ass and is probably worth about a dollar tops :rofl2: