Looking for recomendations for a motherboard.

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by kjb1686, Dec 18, 2012.

Dec 18, 2012
  1. kjb1686
    OP

Member kjb1686 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hi everyone i am looking for suggestions for a new motherboard. I have a i3 2120 processor so i need a socket to fit that. I found this one i don't know how good of a board it is.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138352

My spending limit is 110 or cheaper if there is a board cheaper. Also i would like a full size atx and not a micro atx as i have a huge case.

Edit: As i was looking around i found this board same price. My question is which of these two boards would one recommend.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157330

2. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Of the two, the ASRock is better than the Biostar. Personally, I would not touch either.

Good brands to look out for are Gigabyte, MSI and Asus. The best value motherboard to get is the Asus Maximus V Gene (or the IV Gene). If you have to have a full ATX motherboard, then there's the Maximus V Formula, but it costs more.
    Since you're going for a cheaper motherboard, look into Gigabyte motherboards since they tend to be cheaper whilst still doing well.

3. kjb1686
    OP

United States
    The biostar had a deal that was if you bought the motherboard you would get free 8gb memory, but that deal has ended. I have that still on there because it seemed like a solid board. The asrock i chose because it was recommended on the falcon guide, and it is 15 dollars off as of right now. The only reason i say a atx is because the case i have is a coolermaster stormtrooper and that thing is gigantic and i mean it.

I will look into the motherboards and see what i come up with i have a limited budget as Christmas is coming up. I will post and you can offer suggestions as to whether or not it is a descent board.

4. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Don't forget to read the reviews. One of the top reviews on that Biostar motherboard is that it died in 2 weeks. And I believe it, since it's Biostar. Biostar, Foxconn and ASRock all fall into the same category of cheap/bad motherboards.
    EDIT: And I don't care if many review sites like the ASRock Extreme series - to me ASRock will always be the first motherboard that failed on me!

5. Celice

Member Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    For what it's worth, I went from a $60 gigabyte board to a $120 ASRock and have seen almost no difference, other than BIOS UI and clarity. I mean, apart from some physical differences, like two extra PCI-E slots, four slots for RAM--but really, in terms of utility, nothing changed for me other than a doubled price. The Gigabyte OC'd to 4.1 on stock too :/

Also, if the RAM addition just stopped, you can always ask customer service about adding it back in. Newegg is known for their generosity when it comes to just-after sales.

6. kjb1686
    OP

United States