Hacking looking for opinion and help

tommaloney

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello everyone,

I am bored and I have all my other systems where I want them so I have moved to the WII.

I am looking for the ultimate set up. I have backed up "ALL" the games I own for both gamecube and the wii. I have a black wii with a 4tb ultra small usb3 drive that I want to attach to the top. It has a duel usb power connectors. I know that the gamecube partition goes first on the drive and then the wii partition. Will I be able to put my complete library of gamecube games on one partition and the complete library of NTSC games on the other. The wii is modded and I haven't played a game yet that would not run. Is there anything that I am going to have issues with or does anyone see a problem with the setup besides not having a external power source for the hard drive.

Thanks guys

Last edited by tommaloney,
Reactions: BlazeMasterBM

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Use a single fat32 partition for both wii games and gamecube games

Check out modmii for the generally accepted optimal wii softmods

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hello everyone,

I am board bored
sorry my ocd, lol

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Make sure your hard drive has external power (I wasn't sure from reading your post). The Wii wasn't designed with USB hard drives in mind, and certainly wasn't designed with powering them. But yeah, I've been using a pair of USB Flash drives flawlessly on mine for nearly a decade now, and I have a 2TB hard drive for the more obscure exergaming titles that I rarely play.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Make sure your hard drive has external power (I wasn't sure from reading your post). The Wii wasn't designed with USB hard drives in mind, and certainly wasn't designed with powering them. But yeah, I've been using a pair of USB Flash drives flawlessly on mine for nearly a decade now, and I have a 2TB hard drive for the more obscure exergaming titles that I rarely play.
USB hard drives generally work just fine with the Wii (but not Wii U) without extra power, and as he said it uses an Y-cable, it should be getting plenty of power.
Hello everyone,

I am bored and I have all my other systems where I want them so I have moved to the WII.

I am looking for the ultimate set up. I have backed up "ALL" the games I own for both gamecube and the wii. I have a black wii with a 4tb ultra small usb3 drive that I want to attach to the top. It has a duel usb power connectors. I know that the gamecube partition goes first on the drive and then the wii partition. Will I be able to put my complete library of gamecube games on one partition and the complete library of NTSC games on the other. The wii is modded and I haven't played a game yet that would not run. Is there anything that I am going to have issues with or does anyone see a problem with the setup besides not having a external power source for the hard drive.

Thanks guys
You might have an issue using more than 2TB of the drive. That's because the Wii only supports the MBR partition scheme which normally doesn't allow drives larger than 2TB. Drives with a 4096 sector size instead of 512 allow larger drives, but 4096 sector size drives normally emulate 512 byte sectors for compatibility with older devices and OSes so the system still sees 512 byte sectors and won't be able to access anything past 2TB. Supposedly there are tools to disable the 512 byte emulation but there's no "one size fits all" solution that works with any drive AFAIK.

Reactions: jeannotte

tommaloney

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ya that's what I have been reading, The 4tb drive I have would looks sick attached to the top of the wii. I was hoping to have the complete collection of GC and Wii games all on one drive.

tommaloney

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OK ...... Looking for a clear and precise awnser. 4tb wii hard drive complete sets .... is it doable? what format? what partitions? is there anything special I need to do? I have been reading a lot, and I have tried twice with mixed results. Please someone In the know help a brother out :)

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK ...... Looking for a clear and precise awnser. 4tb wii hard drive complete sets .... is it doable? what format? what partitions? is there anything special I need to do? I have been reading a lot, and I have tried twice with mixed results. Please someone In the know help a brother out :)

I would recommend a 5TB Western Digital Passport or 5TB Western Digital P10 Game Drive.

I see @XFlak referred you to my post from several years ago, but I've updated it along the way as I tried different size drives. The 5TB is needed if you have all the NTSC Wii's and all the NTSC GameCube's. A 4TB comes close, but not close enough, unless you dump most of the singing and dancing games. If you are like me I also have the other region games that were not released in the US, so that will pile onto needing a larger than 4TB drive. While a 4TB sounds good, once formatted it will only give you something like 3.86TB of usable space. I think the 5TB formatted gives you closer to 4.61TB usable space.

I'll copy over and edit the instructions down for just a 4TB & 5TB and post them here once finished. It does get confusing with the 8TB & 10TB drive information still mixed in to it if you're not paying close attention.

Last edited by ca032769,
Reactions: jeannotte

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
I would recommend a 5TB Western Digital Passport or 5TB Western Digital P10 Game Drive.

I see @XFlak referred you to my post from several years ago, but I've updated it along the way as I tried different size drives. The 5TB is needed if you have all the NTSC Wii's and all the NTSC GameCube's. A 4TB comes close, but not close enough, unless you dump most of the singing and dancing games. If you are like me I also have the other region games that were not released in the US, so that will pile onto needing a larger than 4TB drive. While a 4TB sounds good, once formatted it will only give you something like 3.86TB of usable space. I think the 5TB formatted gives you closer to 4.61TB usable space.

I'll copy over and edit the instructions down for just a 4TB & 5TB and post them here once finished. It does get confusing with the 8TB & 10TB drive information still mixed in to it if you're not paying close attention.
Oh is what I linked to not your latest and greatest? Your sig may need a refresh too then while you're at it :)

Edit: nvm, I think I initially misread your answer

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh is what I linked to not your latest and greatest? Your sig may need a refresh too then while you're at it :)

Edit: nvm, I think I initially misread your answer

Not a problem. But yes I plan to create a cleaner instruction set to mainly focus on 5TB drives, but will throw in 4TB & 2TB comments to help those who will be using that size. Those 8, 10 & 12TB drives were fun to get working, I guess proving the concept was worth it, but in the end that large of drive is not needed. I'll leave that old post as is as a reference point incase someone would still want to use an 8TB+ drive.

I'm actually thinking I should just make an original post of this, haven't been an OP yet, so it can be a catch all place for people to reference and post questions. Seeing (with help) I discovered it was possible, this could be my small contribution to the cause. It is good information and should be out there more visibly than it currently is being buried 250 pages back within a 5 year old conversation thread.

Last edited by ca032769,
Reactions: jeannotte and XFlak

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte