Homebrew Looking for help on dumping a save file.

Ulttimaa

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, the article only says to restart the Tool because it previously told you to dump your cart.

But either way, I did restart the tool several times. No luck.

Ulttimaa

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Heart Gold english. I had this same problem with my legit cart of Mario and Luigi: BIS, but with that I managed to get Savsender 1.1b to work, which it's not doing with this.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
To dump the save for that, you have to specify the save size in the ini file, it is like that for any new game.

The NDS backup tool doesn't use a fixed save size, it has autodetect and manual specify of save size. The autodetect will go upto 512KB, anything after that has to be manually set.

Example of such is the Zelda ST, which uses 1MB save files. Using the Wifi ini file, your specification should be:

Code:
#
# NDS_Backup_Tool_Wifi.ini
#

ServerIPÂÂÂÂ192.168.0.10ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ! FTPd IP address
ServerPortÂÂÂÂ21ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ! FTPd Service Port
#FileDirÂÂÂÂ/NDS_BackupÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ! Home Directory

FTPUserÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂanonymousÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ! FTPd Logon User name
FTPPasswordÂÂÂÂanonymous@anonymousÂÂÂÂ! FTPd Logon password

BKI:1024

SaveFileÂÂÂÂ0ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ! Saving size : 0:auto, nnn:Save File Size(KB)

#TrimÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ! Rom Triming Backup

Notice that BKI:1024 is referencing the game you want to override the default save size for zelda.

SirCB85

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
how_do_i_do_that said:
To dump the save for that, you have to specify the save size in the ini file, it is like that for any new game.

The NDS backup tool doesn't use a fixed save size, it has autodetect and manual specify of save size. The autodetect will go upto 512KB, anything after that has to be manually set.

Example of such is the Zelda ST, which uses 1MB save files. Using the Wifi ini file, your specification should be:

Code:
#
# NDS_Backup_Tool_Wifi.ini
#

ServerIPÂÂÂÂ192.168.0.10ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ! FTPd IP address
ServerPortÂÂÂÂ21ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ! FTPd Service Port
#FileDirÂÂÂÂ/NDS_BackupÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ! Home Directory

FTPUserÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂanonymousÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ! FTPd Logon User name
FTPPasswordÂÂÂÂanonymous@anonymousÂÂÂÂ! FTPd Logon password

BKI:1024

SaveFileÂÂÂÂ0ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ! Saving size : 0:auto, nnn:Save File Size(KB)

#TrimÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ! Rom Triming Backup

Notice that BKI:1024 is referencing the game you want to override the default save size for zelda.
Thats got to bee way to easy, I think after Zelda there would have been quite some people who knew that allready and would have tried it on PKMN HG/SS, so at least a hand full would have postet it here on the forum
wink.gif

But hey, if no one proves me eighter right or wrong on this one I will try it myself next Fryday (thats when I expect my EU Release to arrive).

how_do_i_do_that

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Dumping a save and using it is 2 different things. Most people don't even have a legit version of the game to even do it.

The BKI is for the US version of the game of zelda.

You will have to look up the 4 Character code for the game you want either through the xml cheat file or through a rom ID program of some kind. Once you get the 4 character code, you will only need the first 3 to dump a game save.

The ini override is only for the save files, it will not dump a game to a rom file if the AP is resistant to that.

SirCB85

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
how_do_i_do_that said:
Dumping a save and using it is 2 different things. Most people don't even have a legit version of the game to even do it.

The BKI is for the US version of the game of zelda.

You will have to look up the 4 Character code for the game you want either through the xml cheat file or through a rom ID program of some kind. Once you get the 4 character code, you will only need the first 3 to dump a game save.
So, according to the Database of Codejunkies the codes working für HG and SS would be IPK and IPG, now all we got to know is the right size for a savedump.
Well as I read in the thread about PokesavDS Chase-San allready managed to dump a savefile but wasn´t able to reup it to the cardridge which is kind of sad because there would be no use to dump a save when I´m not able to load it back to the original when I´m finished modifieng or playing on a flashcard with it. I would realy like to dump a save from the original, play it on my AK2i and when I need to reload it to the original to use the pokewalker
frown.gif

how_do_i_do_that

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Since pokemon games now use 1MB save files the lines in the ini would look like this:

2^10 = 1024

IPK:1024
IPG:1024

If you want to be safe about the save size, you can give a larger size and use a file cutter to trim the excess off.

I wouldn't know if you could use it directly with a flashcart or not. It does work if you upped it back to the retail game. The games that I do have work ok after hacking the save data and reuploaded, although those games were all under the autodetected save sizes.

I would suggest backing up anything before trying this.

Chase-san

Trophies
Website
www.csdgn.org
XP
Country
United States
how_do_i_do_that said:
Since pokemon games now use 1MB save files the lines in the ini would look like this:

2^10 = 1024

IPK:1024
IPG:1024

If you want to be safe about the save size, you can give a larger size and use a file cutter to trim the excess off.

I wouldn't know if you could use it directly with a flashcart or not. It does work if you upped it back to the retail game. The games that I do have work ok after hacking the save data and reuploaded, although those games were all under the autodetected save sizes.

I would suggest backing up anything before trying this.

Go die! Pokemon saves DO NOT use a 1 mb save. DO NOT.

Considering I write save editors, one would think I know what I am talking about? hrmm?

NO pokemon game uses a 1MB save. None of them, not one. No, no no, no. None of them. I don't want to hear it, none of them do. No not platinum, no not Heart Gold and no not Soul Silver. None of them! Zip AZero, none, notta.

People seriously, if you have no idea wtf you're talking about, don't talk about it! If you hear it offhand, don't repeat it. I don't care if your friend with a 4.0 from MIT and 3 nobel prizes says it uses a 1mb save, because if he does, he is an idiot, because they don't, PERIOD.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure? There are plenty of games out there that save much less info than Pokemon and use 1MB saves. And I heard before that Pokemon uses 512 KB for the actual save, then another 512 KB for the VS. Recorder, which makes 1 MB total.

Chase-san

Trophies
Website
www.csdgn.org
XP
Country
United States
DeMoN said:
Are you sure? There are plenty of games out there that save much less info than Pokemon and use 1MB saves. And I heard before that Pokemon uses 512 KB for the actual save, then another 512 KB for the VS. Recorder, which makes 1 MB total.

OMG, YES! I AM SURE!

The vs recorder data is in the base 256KB slot save. The normal parts of the save are so small they could almost fit into 256 KB for 2 slots (If I recall they are around 140 KB per slot), meaning they have plenty of room for VS recorder (I could lookup the offsets if you liked, but honestly).

Ulttimaa

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Chase-san said:
DeMoN said:

OMG, YES! I AM SURE!

The vs recorder data is in the base 256KB slot save. The normal parts of the save are so small they could almost fit into 256 KB for 2 slots (If I recall they are around 140 KB per slot), meaning they have plenty of room for VS recorder (I could lookup the offsets if you liked, but honestly).

So then... What size does it use?

Chase-san

Trophies
Website
www.csdgn.org
XP
Country
United States
Ulttimaa said:
Chase-san said:
DeMoN said:

OMG, YES! I AM SURE!

So then... What size does it use?

512 KB... Let me supply a diagram for those that cannot read.

CODETopography of the full 512 KB save.

+------+ - 0 KB
|######|
|######|
|######|
+------+ - about 140 KB (total space taken in save slot by save)
|ÂÂÂÂÂÂ|
|ÂÂÂÂÂÂ|
+------+ - 256 KB (end of 1st save slot)
|######|
|######|
|######|
+------+ - about 140 KB (total space taken in save slot by save)
|ÂÂÂÂÂÂ|
|ÂÂÂÂÂÂ|
+------+ - 512 KB (end of 2nd save slot)

CODE
Topography of a single save slot.

+---------+
|#########| Block A
|#########| Trainer
+---------+
|/////////|
|/////////| Block B
|/////////| Pokemon
|/////////|ÂÂBoxes
|/////////|
+---------+
|ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ |
|ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ |
|ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ |
|ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ | Other stuff
|ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ | Blank Space
|ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ |
|ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ |
|ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ |
+---------+ - 256 KB

Chase-san

Trophies
Website
www.csdgn.org
XP
Country
United States
In case anyone wants hard numbers, here you go.

Total space taken up by a single slot
Diamond / Pearl : 120.71875 KiB
Platinum : 124.265625 KiB
HeartGold / SoulSiver : 134.3046875 KiB

Block sizes: (in bytes, displayed in hex, taken from my save editor, and actual save footers)
Diamond / Pearl
-Block A: 0xC100
-Block B: 0x121E0
Platinum
-Block A: 0xCF2C
-Block B: 0x121E4
HeartGold / SoulSiver
-Block A: 0xF628
-Block B: 0x12310

how_do_i_do_that

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
How about you roll over and die.

This is the contents of the slot2 backup tool

Code:
# NDS_Backup_Tool_Slot2.iniÂÂÂÂVer0.4

FileDirÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ/NDS_BackupÂÂÂÂ! Directory

SaveFileÂÂÂÂ0ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ! 0:auto, nnn:Save File Size(KB)

#TrimÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ! Use Trim

#FlashTypeÂÂÂÂGameCode(3char)ÂÂÂÂSize(Mbit)
FlashTypeÂÂÂÂADAÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 4ÂÂÂÂ! Pokemon Diamond
FlashTypeÂÂÂÂAPAÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 4ÂÂÂÂ! Pokemon Pearl
FlashTypeÂÂÂÂA2YÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 4ÂÂÂÂ! Kakei Diary
FlashTypeÂÂÂÂANHÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 4ÂÂÂÂ! Motto Eigo Zuke
FlashTypeÂÂÂÂAZEÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 4ÂÂÂÂ! Zelda
FlashTypeÂÂÂÂYBNÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 8ÂÂÂÂ! Bungaku Zenshuu
FlashTypeÂÂÂÂAVMÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 4ÂÂÂÂ! Bimoji Training
FlashTypeÂÂÂÂA3AÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 4ÂÂÂÂ! Umania 2007
FlashTypeÂÂÂÂAXBÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ64ÂÂÂÂ! Band Brothers DX
FlashTypeÂÂÂÂCDGÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 4ÂÂÂÂ! Disgaea
FlashTypeÂÂÂÂCPUÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 4ÂÂÂÂ! Pokemon Platinum
FlashTypeÂÂÂÂAZLÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 8ÂÂÂÂ! Girls Mode
FlashTypeÂÂÂÂIMWÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ 4ÂÂÂÂ! Seikatsu Rhythm

If your too stupid to understand that there are quite a few games that use something larger than 1MB for a save file. Notice that Band Brothers DX uses a 8MB save file. and that thing has been crawling around for a while now.

Chase-san

Trophies
Website
www.csdgn.org
XP
Country
United States
That post was so stupid it doesn't even warrant a researched response.

First I was talking about pokemon, always was.
Second those numbers are in megabits, so number/8 = mb, all pokemon games in that list are thus 512 KB genius.
Third, I never said games don't use 1mb saves, I said pokemon games don't (and they don't).

I am not sure if you we're trying to make it sound like my argument was something else. But not only have you shown to be incorrect, but also incapable of being able to read English.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night