Looking for good gaming-grade router

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by gumbyx84, Jun 4, 2011.

Jun 4, 2011
  1. gumbyx84
    OP

Member gumbyx84 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    My router has been screwing up for the past few months and I've finally decided to pick up a new one to replace it. I want to get a router that can handle HD streaming and wireless gaming as I will have my PS3, 360, DSL, XL, 3DS and laptops running of it. Can anyone recommend a decent b/g/n Dual-Band router (with Gigibit ports) with QoS (Quality of Service) support for gaming? I've been doing a bit of research and keep getting pointed to D-Link, but they don't have any gaming-grade routers with "true" Dual-Band (they can broadcast at 2MHz and 5MHz, but not at the same time). Any help would be appreciated.

PS I'm also looking into getting a NAS for said HD streaming. Any recommendations?

2. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    That does describe most of the high-end router market, like the Linksys E3000 or E4200, or the Netgear WNDR3700. Check them and see how they measure to your needs.

3. gumbyx84
    OP

Member gumbyx84 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The Linksys E3200 and E4200 look close to what Im looking for but I keep reading mixed reviews on them. Im leaning more towards the e3200 as it is the cheaper of the two and the only performace boost I see is 300Mbps (e3200) vs 450Mbps(e4200) on 5GHz bandwidth. The Netgear I haven't read much of anything good about. After doing some more research, I found CNet and some users recommend the Asus RT-N56U over the Linksys E4200.