Looking for clarification on CFW capabilities.

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by taggart6, May 7, 2016.

1. taggart6
    OP

taggart6 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 20, 2006
    United States
    Los Angeles
    Just downgraded my n3ds us to 9.2 and I'm interested in running Luma3ds. I read this guidehttps://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki but I have a couple of questions regarding functionality.

I'm looking to do a couple of things:run games from my 3ds SD card, and rip games from my 3ds carts that are heavy into online player and require a customer header. I would also like to transfer the games and saves I have on a blue tab sky3ds to my 3ds SD card as well.

Is all this possible with just Luma3ds? Do i need any other programs? Are there any helpful guides you can recommend that cover what I mentioned above in more detail?

Thanks in advance for your our help!

Last edited by taggart6, May 7, 2016
  2. Froster

Froster Your Music Producer

Sep 6, 2015
    Italy
    that MIDI sequencer
  3. Temptress Cerise

Temptress Cerise Miss Magic~ <3

May 1, 2016
    United States
    CIAs don't require a private header. So no need to worry about that at all. As for migrating your saves. You'd probably have to use something like JK's Save Manager and cycle the games through your sky3ds blue. (Not sure if this would work...) - And I am not aware of any known methods of converting sav files to the required format cias used, as those can actually vary.

4. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    All CFW's can play CIA games and don't require any private headers. All CFW's will also be able to download DLC, updates, and play online with CIA's, without hassle. For ripping games, you will either need uncart or access to Gateway's program. And for saves, you will need to install JK's Save Manager to rip and inject your saves into your CIA games.

5. taggart6
    OP

taggart6 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 20, 2006
    United States
    Los Angeles
    Going through the guide right now and I've run into a problem. I'm at https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-2-(Downgrading) and trying to back up the sysNAND.bin

However it keeps failing and I'm not sure. I do n0tice at the bottom a message saying unrecognized file structure. I've followed the guide exactly so I'm not sure what I missed. Any thoughts?