Looking for advice on psone power supply...

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by jwitz, Oct 15, 2018.

1. jwitz
    OP

jwitz GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    I have gotten an NTSC Psone recently and tried using my UK supply with it, and it does turn on but the CD motor does not engage, so it just goes to the CD player/memory card screen. Assuming that this is a power issue and not a mechanical fault with the motor, what would I need to do to get it to supply the correct power? Step down or step up converter?

I have a USA power supply also.

Thank you.

2. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Bullet Hell
    UK PSone psu should work fine with a US console - the system requires 7.5v, 2amps.
    Seems like you've probably got an issue with the cd unit.

3. iCEQB

iCEQB GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 2, 2013
    United States
    The PSOne power supply can handle the 100-240V range - it outputs 7.5V - 2.0A anyway so it doesn't matter how often you change it.
    Either your drive assembly is cimpletely broken, or only the mechanics.

Power the unit on and push the little button close the Tray Open button and see if the laser lights up red (don't look into it).

4. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    Check if the US power supply supports 240v in and see if you have a suitable adapter lying around (e.g. maybe a shaver/toothbrush adapter).

I suspect it's going to be the motor though.

5. jwitz
    OP

jwitz GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    Thanks for the reply. When I push the button the middle part spins briefly and the lens moves a little but no red light.

I should mention that it has a mod chip installed, so could that require more power?

6. iCEQB

Nov 2, 2013
    United States
    Power is not your problem - the drive seems to be busted.
    The fact the the spindle tries to spin is a good sign that the motor is working.
    The fact that you can't see the diode light up in red is bad however.

To me it looks like you need a new laser, but it's hard to diagnose from here.

Put a disc inside (preferbly an original or audio disc) and leave the tray open and try again with the lid button pushed down and see what happens.

- Does the disc start / keep spinning?
    - Can you hear the laser sliding?

7. jwitz
    OP

jwitz GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    The disc doesn’t start spinning at all, and the laser doesn’t slide. I’ve contacted the seller and he admitted that it could have been damaged in transit since it was international. It’s a real shame, but I hope to try again and perhaps he could pad it a little better maybe with something inside the discs tray as well to protect the laser.

8. iCEQB

Nov 2, 2013
    United States
    Usually these things are indestructable because it's a "solid brick". Without power you can only mess with the laser by force.
    My best bet is, he ripped you off - it's easy to say that it got damaged during transit.

9. jwitz
    OP

jwitz GBAtemp Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    Yeah I figured that but he had several American customers leaving positive feedback for the same item, unless he faked them.

Besides I’ve got the money back guarantee covering me thankfully.

10. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    A CD laser is infrared - visible light, if any, is a side effect (and wasted power)

Most digital cameras can see IR