Looking for a peculiar RPG...

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Uncle FEFL, Jan 18, 2010.

Jan 18, 2010
  1. Uncle FEFL
    OP

Member Uncle FEFL OBJECTION!

United States
    There's this game called "The Legend of Dragoon" for PS1. It's battle system is among my favorite of all time.

Here's a battle scene. What I'm asking for starts at 1:20. Or just read my comment on the vid.

Now, is there a DS RPG with a battle system like this? I'd really like to know. Thanks in advance.

PS: I'm sorry for making another RPG question. [​IMG]

2. sadak5

Member sadak5 GBAtemp Fan

Mexico
    There is not the same style, but there are two who has a "kind of" style, TWEWY and Sands of destruction. Meanwhile TWEWY uses more like secuence of buttons, there are some time dependant, and the sands of destruction uses combo based attacks.

3. Zane

Member Zane Ace Wizard

Sweden
    Legend of Dragoon is the best RPg for the PS1 hands down. They really need to make a new one.

4. Uncle FEFL
    OP

United States
    That's why I was trying to look for one similar on the DS. I have the original game, but I want one that's portable too. I agree, they need to make a new one.

I'm actually kind of surprised no one attempted to copy this battle style (from the RPG's that I have played anyway). It's truly one of the best in my opinion.

5. kosheh

Member kosheh GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Actually, I'd say Sands of Destruction plays similar. The game you posted looks a lot like the Final Fantasy series with action commands tacked on, to string together physical attacks and make combos :/ If you're going for 3D I'd say Nostalgia but that doesn't have any sort of action command :/
    SoD has you generally hitting two alternating buttons to give different effects to the attack you selected, but it's still nice.

TWEWY is weird; it plays like Kingdom Hearts if it were completely stylus-based and without those awkward drop-down menus. tl;dr a action-heavy battle system in real time and not turn based.
    I suggest DBZ: Attack of the Saiyans. You'd think it was terrible given it's a licensed RPG but it takes multihit combos and makes them um

crazy. I honestly don't know why I like its battle system so much.

6. Fantasy Freak

Newcomer Fantasy Freak Member

United States
    Sands of Destruction is sort of like the video you posted.

I personally didn't like TWEWY battle system. It was way too complicated, having to press buttons and moving the stylus at the same time.

7. Olyfes

Newcomer Olyfes Advanced Member

Netherlands
    Sands of Destructiion

8. manoelpdb

Newcomer manoelpdb Advanced Member

Brazil
    I think the Mario & Luigi RPG series is near of what I saw at your video.

9. Jynweythek

Banned Jynweythek Banned

Russia
    2 Uncle FEFL
    Your video reminds me Super Robot Taisen OG Saga Endless Frontier. Try it, maybe this is what are you searching for.

10. thedicemaster

Member thedicemaster GBAtemp Addict

Netherlands
    using both at the same time isn't necessary.
    the 2nd(button controlled) character can be set to autopilot, making it do some fighting on it's own.
    when using lower difficulty settings this shouldn't be much of a problem.

aside from that there are also strategies that allow you to switch focus more easily(for example, when you use dashing attacks, or barrier pins, you don't need to focus much on the bottom screen)

11. RchUncleSkeleton

Member RchUncleSkeleton Skeletron 9000

United States
    you could always get a psp2000 or psp1000 and play the ps1 game on it, with cetain patches of course.

12. Uncle FEFL
    OP

United States
    I'm at Peach's Castle right now, I haven't played in a while because the level is so damn big lol.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I've seriously got quite a few RPG's to try out. [​IMG]

13. Hisiru

Member Hisiru GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    What exactly do you want? The quick time events?

14. Uncle FEFL
    OP

United States
    That may be what I'm talking about (I'm honestly not sure what you mean by that). When Dart attacks, he uses a move chosen in his profile, and you have to press X at the right time to keep the combo going. When the box turns white, you need to press X so he can do another move in the combo. Is that a quick time event?

15. haflore

Member haflore aeternaliter fluxa

United States
    Yup! That's a Quick Time Event(QTE), which seems to be what you're looking for. In which case the closest thing is probably Super Robot Taisen OG Saga : Endless Frontier, or Mario and Luigi. Though you do get the odd QTE in Kingdom Hearts so you might wanna check that out, also Sands of Destruction has a somewhat similar system going.

16. Uncle FEFL
    OP

United States
    Thanks for your help! This is the second time SRTOGS: EF has been suggested, so I'm guessing it's a good game. I'm definitely going to try it. [​IMG]

17. naoan

Newcomer naoan Member

Indonesia
    I guess if you're talking about timing critical battle rpg in DS you'll think SRWOG:EF first...