Looking for a new Flashcard

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by Starzboy77, Sep 17, 2009.

Sep 17, 2009

Looking for a new Flashcard by Starzboy77 at 2:32 AM (4,635 Views / 0 Likes) 73 replies

1. Starzboy77
    OP

Member Starzboy77 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I know these topics have been done to death but I am upgrading from my lite to a DSI and currently have a CycloDS which is not compatible with the DSI.

I have done all kinds of research and it appears the M3I Zero and the Acekard 2i are the best DSI flashcards at this time. Question is, which one to get? RTS is kind of a big deal with me, do you think Akaro will add this to 1.5? Please provide as much input as possible on what avenue I should go. I can live without RTS, but it would be nice to have. Game compatibility, ease, GUI, and speed are most important to me.

Thanks and mods please allow this topic! I don't know where else to go to ask!

2. Leonidas

Member Leonidas GBAtemp Fan

Slovenia
    You probably want to buy the M3i Zero. Acekard 2i doesn't have RTS and it's not been announced either.

3. Uncle FEFL

Member Uncle FEFL OBJECTION!

United States
    I'd go with the SuperCard. It's not the best now, but they'll probably make some updates to make the overall GUI and stuff faster.

4. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    I don't recommend the M3i Zero, I ended up buying two of them (first had a bad USB cable) and both of them had serious problems, like shutting down in sleep mode, freezing at random, etc.

Acekard 2i doesn't have RTS, and it probably won't ever, but for simply playing the games it's top dog.

5. Leonidas

Slovenia
    Manufacturing defects seem to be very common among recent carts. Both M3i Zero and Acekard 2 have had their slew of problems. I don't think this is a reason to recommend or not recommend a certain cart. If you buy from a reputable shop you will most likely be fine.

6. NESticle

Newcomer NESticle Member

United States
    I would go with the M3i Zero seeing as AKAIO will not be supported any longer.

7. Leonidas

Slovenia
    AKAIO 1.5 is already in the working, as far as I know.

8. NESticle

Newcomer NESticle Member

United States
    Normmatt said in this thread that he and Smith will no longer support it. So unless they gave the work to someone else, we are out of luck with AKAIO.

9. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    I think Norm may have been facetious in that thread.

10. Leonidas

Slovenia
    That topic is 4 months old, and if you look at various new topics, you will see the 1.5 is in the working, because the play-testers sometimes leak out some information about it and there have been pictures as well, although I haven't checked if they were real or fake. My guess is you consider it dead because it hasn't been officially announced, but then this is unofficial software anyway. Might be ready by the end of this year though.

11. iFish

Member iFish Slower than a 90s modem

Canada
    dose that mean i should go m3i i was going for it but now acekard seeingg the price

12. Tokiopop

Member Tokiopop Caffeine fiend

United Kingdom
    People need to stop bringing that thread back up. IT WAS A JOKE. Rea some of the posts instead of the first 2.

Anyway, on topic. If you want gimmicky features get the M3, if you want a solid firmware (AKAIO)get the Acekard. If you want to emulate GBA games get an iPlayer.

13. iFish

Canada
    if i want gba ill use my gba lol

14. shansoft

Member shansoft GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I really dont recommend the Acekard 2i right now, especially the firmware is not really updating and new release stop working...

the best would be SC One, or M3i Zero...

15. Chaosruler

Member Chaosruler GBAtemp Fan

Israel
    didn`t we go through with this stuff at 1.4 => 1.41?
    you all people were like "nothing new in akaio forever", I was like "screw that, I just bought this card, oh well..."
    and 2 days later, the great anonucement of Normatt of the new Akaio 1.41, which kinda shutted you all up, now you come here talking again...
    to clear it : the more you whine, the slower the outcomes, let Normatt or whoever is there work on their on terms, they DON`T get paid for it, they do it for OUR sake, not for theirs, therefore why the hell we allow ourselves to even complain or ask them to work faster?
    I am simply greatfull that they made 1.41 so far, around the millions of games the DS has, only 10 or so wouldn`t work
    Acekard is doing well and thanks to acekard it is overwhelming my whole exceptions of it, therefore I`d recommand going there, you don`t need stuff like RTS at all to be a gamer

16. wolffangalchemist

Member wolffangalchemist This is bat country!

United States
    yeah but what can you do?
    n00bs are like stray cats feed them once and they will never leave your doorstep, they just come back everyday wanting more.

17. shansoft

United States
    you just contradict yourself there...

the reason why people not suggesting Acekard because the lack of support, and firmware essentially base on non-profit group, where they do whatever they want to do, the official is pretty much dead..
    so acekards are pretty much ending up like R4 with YSMENU...

now you see the point there?

It is the matter of official support, and they are pretty much dead..
    and for AKAIO, we don't know how this thing will last, it could probably end it tomorrow or the next few second. It's unpredictable, because they are non-profit.

OP is here to make a decision, and we are here to give a suggestion. And from the business point of view, Acekard is clearly not a good choice right now for a new buyer, especially the lack official support.

kids these days need to grow up from the vault, the world is not that simple as you think.

18. iFish

Canada
    i would go for acekard then if you not sastified with it get a m3i zero becasue the acekard is 12$ on deal extream

19. Retrievil

Member Retrievil GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I was just in this position. For the $13 it costs on dealextreme, I'd say the Acekard is the best buy right now.

As far as people saying the M3 team updates..... They sure do, but they also come out with new cards constantly and once a new one is out, they completely abandon the older ones. Take a look at how many cards the M3 team has come out with in the last couple years and how many are still supported. I'd rather at least have the possibility of AKAIO, rather than nothing like you get with an older M3 card.

20. shansoft

United States
    they still support my M3 Real [​IMG]