Hardware Looking for a laptop cooling pad

kjb1686

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone i am looking for a cooling pad for my laptop because it gets really hot as of right now checking the temps with speed fan my cpu is 75 Celsius and ranges from 65-75 Celsius. I was wondering if there are ones that run off a power adapter so i dont have to use usb to run it. If push comes to shove and i need one that require a usb port are there ones with hubs on them that i can use my laptop only has two usb ports and my mouse is taking up one of them so i only have one free. My price range is 30 dollars but i may be willing to go a little higher if i need to.

Okay i found this http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Maste [...] 602&sr=1-1 would this be a good purchase or not.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Looks like it'll be noisy to me, and I don't know how strong the fans will be if it's only powered from one USB port, but it seems to have a good design. I'm currently using a $5 cooling pad which has one huge 200mm low-speed fan. It's quiet and doesn't push much air, but it's enough to keep my 17" media laptop cool.

kjb1686

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am going to have to keep looking into them it is hard to find a good one and it sucks i only have two usb ports on my laptop and cooling pads with usb hubs built in are a pain to find. Hopefully i can find a good one.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Cooling pads with USB hubs built in, I imagine, would either be underpowered or need an external power supply (usually AC) or both. It's all due to the amount of power one USB port can actually provide (500mAh for USB2, 900mAh for USB3).

kjb1686

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So should i just look into buying a external usb hub for my needs or just get a cooling pad with a usb power built in i don't mind if i need it to be plugged into the wall to run that wont bother me one bit.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
When looking for a product, first identify your needs, then look for a product that fulfills those needs. If you can't find one product, seek out multiple products that account for all of your needs, or drop the needs that aren't so important. Also look for any other workarounds that you can do wiout needing to buy extra products.

As an example, to reduce the temperatures, look into power saving (and/or downclocking) settings and what you can do to reduce the workload. Also clean out the air vents and maybe reapply the thermal paste on the CPU/GPU (warning, this can be tricky in laptops due to custom cooling systems/heat pipes). Hell, my brother just used a couple pens to prop up his laptop to give it extra ventilation, and that worked quite well for him.

Also, USB fans can be somewhat effective for cooling the laptop. Laptop coolers are basically fans that blow air at the bottom, but you can also use a USB fan to blow air over the top and create a kind of heatsink out of the chassis/keyboard itself. This was a lifesaver in prolonged LAN sessions.

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I advise dual fans but keep in mind that if they are usb powered they will consume a bit of power more than a single fan cooler will from your laptop battery

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I advise dual fans but keep in mind that if they are usb powered they will consume a bit of power more than a single fan cooler will from your laptop battery
Or more specifically, if two fans are running on one USB port, they will each get roughly half power and spin at half speed. I see this often with LED lit coolers, especially the ones with 3 fans.

Xoo00o0o0o

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The cooler he linked to is not loud at all. My best friend uses that same pad and his temps dropped nearly 25-30C. The fans can be moved to suit where the laptop gets hottest and it does not suck air away from the laptop, it blows air into the laptop.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
"it sucks air away" is the part I'm always wary about when it comes to cooling pads. For some laptops, this is good since it pulls hot air out... but for most (that I've seen) it'll actually suffocate the laptop which is a very bad thing. If no air goes in, the fans can't work. Anyway, if you say that it's quiet (or "not loud"), then it probably means that all 3 are low powered (which makes sense since they're coming from one USB port).

And anybody who's been paying attention to my posts should probably be able to tell that I'm speaking in theory, since I've not tried that specific cooling pad before.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.