Looking for a cloud storage

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by SomeGamer, May 16, 2016.

1. SomeGamer
    OP

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    ...that offers plenty of space for free, has a good sync client for desktop and mobile and where my files are stored encrypted. Any suggestions?

2. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    Mega.nz is at least two for three - 50GB free, I think, and encryption is their whole selling point. As for whether their client is decent I can't really say, although I don't think you can mount the remote end as a network drive as easily as you can with Google Drive, OneDrive, etc.

3. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Rent a cheap VPS and install ownCloud. Or, if you buy a cheap domain (most .com and .net domains are roughly $8 a year at NameCheap), I can host you for free and setup ownCloud for you. I have a dedicated server with about 2 TB of free space, so it wouldn't be an issue for me.

Last edited by Joom, May 16, 2016
    xy2_ and astronautlevel like this.
  4. SomeGamer
    OP

SomeGamer GBAtemp Guru

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    I've heard that MEGA was purchased by a Chinese company and since then I don't really believe in its security.

5. LongTimeLurker

LongTimeLurker GBAtemp Regular

Aug 25, 2016
    Canada
    Store it anywhere, use your own encryption (Like boxcryptor or something). Either way at the end of the day, you can always use the argument "but I don't trust the company", because you shouldn't.

An alternative is SpiderOak. Only 2GB though.

Study cryptography if you don't trust anyone. Just take the keys, see how they're produced, what they produce, how they behave in generic functions, etc. Limits how much trusting you need to do. Also MEGAsync and megatools are also both open source, so you should be able to see exactly what you're trusting (if anything, really).

6. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    Mega is fine but can be very slow at times and offers none of the cool stuff Google Drive has such as a video player for files and "Office" applications to perform work tasks.

7. xy2_

xy2_ GBAtemp Regular

Feb 4, 2016
    France
    +1 for @Joom's suggestions. For cheap VPSes I would also add time4vps.

This may be a little costlier and 'harder' to set up at first than a traditional cloud service, but it is well worth it and will save you money and trouble in the long run.

8. foleyed84

foleyed84 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 25, 2016
    United States
    Union, KY
    Google Disk