Lockheed Martin Designs Cheap, Efficient Saltwater Filters

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Gahars
    OP

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Lockheed Martin is a well-known defense contractor that's worked with the United States throughout its engagements in the Middle East and beyond. War is their business, and unfortunately, business is a-booming.

But what if they could also save lives? Like, all of them?

As it turns out, they may just be doing that. Lockheed Martin revealed that it has discovered a way to cheaply and efficiently extract freshwater from saltwater sources.
    [​IMG] Reuters

H2-Oh yeah.

Now, a little bit of context. The Earth has a huge amount of water; scientists predict our planet has between 3 or 4 metric shit tons of the stuff. The problem is, though, about 97% of that is saltwater, and thus, undrinkable for human beings. A lot of freshwater is very difficult to access, which limits our options considerably. With many areas getting scorched by rising temperatures and our booming population, this is kind of, maybe a huge problem. You know, just a little bit.

If we could easily convert that pesky saltwater into freshwater, though, well... that changes everything. Not only could we mitigate a potential-disaster, we could all collectively grab our groins and, in unison, shout, "Hey, Poseidon, suck deez nuts!"

You know, for science.

Lockheed Martin plans to have a prototype out by the end of this year, and they're looking to put the product on the market by 2014 or 2015. While I'm glad to see a relatively quick time frame, I can't help but be a little bit disappointed - I was really hoping to work a "Water they waiting for?" joke in here somewhere.

The sacrifices we have to make, man...

Rydian likes this.
  2. J-Machine

Member J-Machine Self proclaimed Pog champion

Canada
    H2-OH YEAH! Am I right? eh? ehhhhh?

Forget it... I thought I'd get the heads up on water themed puns before they trickle down and turn this thread into a pool of face palms but its harder than I thought it'd be.

Shade Tempest and Celice like this.
  3. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    this thread needs moar salt

4. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    I'll take these news with a grain of salt :tpi:

Also, how cheap is "cheap"?

Rydian likes this.
  5. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    So...after a war for oil, will there be a war for water?

I'm not optimistic. On pretty much any other company, I would have been. But lockheed martin? C'mon...you already know how things will go. Some country will get enough bad press so America can do that preventive "strike thingy" that somehow justifies attacking innocent people. Then LM's bombers turn out to be "mislead" so they'll destroy things like water plants. Then after the slaughtering of innocents war is over, they'll proudly rebuild the nation with Lockfleet Martin's cheap saltwater filters.

...or is that supposed to be "cheap" as in "it will cost the consumers less than they're paying now"? :unsure:

6. Celice

Member Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Scarcity of water has been known about for quite some time. It's one of humanity's little treasures that the species would willfully ignore the problem until it's too late--perhaps for our own betterment, if we couldn't be bothered to save ourselves in the first place.

7. McHaggis

Member McHaggis Fackin' Troller

United Kingdom
    I wonder if this would be any good for the water in Majorca (that don't taste like what it oughta).

8. FireEmblemGuy

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    Is it just me or does the thread title feel really close to spambot formatting? Maybe I'm just not awake enough today but I honestly thought that's what this was at first glance.

9. omgpwn666

Member omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

United States
    We can already turn urine into drinking water with something NASA invented, but I think I'd rather drink saltwater converted into fresh water.

10. Rizsparky

Member Rizsparky Saiyan Prince

United Kingdom
    I wonder if the taste has remnants of piss..

omgpwn666 likes this.
  11. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    This would be an ideal and cost effective way of desalinating water in California and most of the Northwest and also Florida which like California already has a desalination facility, California can have some cheap desalination plants that the state desperately needs.

12. Ergo

Member Ergo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Surprise, some people find a problem with a defense contractor provided something that many many millions of people don't get enough of...

(God help them if they ever look into what, exactly, that big bad ol' "military industrial complex" has contributed to making modern they take for granted every day--their little pinheads might 'splode.)

13. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    what happens when they've drained the whole ocean though? :creep:

14. Engert

Member Engert I love me

United States
  15. chavosaur

Reporter chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip
    United States
    Simple.
    we invade Neptune...

Bladexdsl likes this.