Loading noises. Is this normal? (especially with monster hunter)

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by jaouad, Oct 31, 2013.

1. jaouad
    OP

jaouad GBAtemp Regular

Sep 25, 2008
    Netherlands
    Hi guys,

I started a thread in the hacking section because i wanted to virginize my vWii. But it seems its not possible.

The reason i wanted to do that is because i want to send my console to repairs. Since i learned it isnt possible to remove all traces of hacking(yet), I decided to ask if it's really a defect I have.

So the issue is that(i think) the WIIu makes strange noises during loadings. Im not talking about the knocking noise which was quite apparent to be normal. But a grinding noise. Like a very soft grinding/squeeky noise only hearable at night when playing off tv.

If you guys want to test it out to confirm, please if you got monster hunter 3 ultimate. The noise happens during the cgi cutscenes and ingame especially in the single player town(havent played in a while so forgot its name)

Thanks in advance brethren and sistaz

2. Elusivo

Elusivo GBAtemp Fan

Jun 21, 2013
    I have mh3u and it does access the disk quite often, but it only makes normal disk access sound like the knocking sound, nothing out of ordinary, so either you do have something there or i'm just not so good at listening to it :P (unlike my gamepad speakers that make a shhhh noise even with the sound all the way down).

You ruled out the noise being the fan?
    How old is your wiiu? maybe it's showing wear signs...

3. jaouad
    OP

jaouad GBAtemp Regular

Sep 25, 2008
    Netherlands
    Bought it in march and I don't remember it ever doing it either. It's definitely not the fans because the console doesn't make any sound outside of particular loadings, most prominently in mh3u

Could you please do the following for me if you can. It would be most appreciated.

When the startup CGI cutscene plays, could you get close to your wii u with your ears and listen if you hear this grinding/squeaky noise?

4. Langin

Langin GBAtemp's kpop addict

Jul 29, 2008
    Netherlands
    The Hague
    Can you record these noises, I might be able to find out what's wrong? Else take it to a store where you've bought it from and let them research it.(If you bought it at Bart Smit, or any toy store MAKE SURE they a thing or two about it!!) It seems like it's hacked though so yeah... you know? ;3

5. jaouad
    OP

jaouad GBAtemp Regular

Sep 25, 2008
    Netherlands
    Yeah it's hacked. I didn't buy it from a store but ordered it from wehkamp. I will try to record it when i'm home. Thanks for the suggestion.

I think the worst part really is nintendo's current digital system. I know the only way to keep my stuff is repairs. Replacement could mean I may lose all my stuff sigh

6. Langin

Langin GBAtemp's kpop addict

Jul 29, 2008
    Netherlands
    The Hague

If Nintendo replaces your unit they transfer ANY purchased content to your new system. I believe saves as well and you can back-up those too! So just wipe your Wii U from any homebrew, send it and kaplow! And maybe those noises are normal who knows! ;3

7. jaouad
    OP

jaouad GBAtemp Regular

Sep 25, 2008
    Netherlands
    Yeah but i'm hearing wiping homebrew still leaves traces of it being hacked so i'm afraid they will mention that once they receive it... killing the warranty

8. Elusivo

Elusivo GBAtemp Fan

Jun 21, 2013
    Just checked, throughout the entire cutscene and even before it starts, with my ear glued on the wiiu i can't even hear the disk spinning or being accessed, it's really quiet, the only noise coming from the wiiu is the fan.

I guess u really need some lube on ur drive ^^

9. jaouad
    OP

jaouad GBAtemp Regular

Sep 25, 2008
    Netherlands
    Lol sigh, well that's disheartening. Thank you very much. Hmm i'll try out some stuff once i get back. Thinking about lubign it yeah... Loljoke

Shaking the wii u a good idea perhaps? Yeah this has always been my way of fixing things when knowing jack about the hardware :(. Ill just ignore the noise since its not very loud for me either. Wait for somethingto come before warranty expires. If not, when the time is right, ill assemble and replace the drive if that's not too hard

10. jaouad
    OP

jaouad GBAtemp Regular

Sep 25, 2008
    Netherlands
    I got a small clip. decided to upload it from an upload site rather than youtube so here's the noise I had been talking about

http://www.speedyshare.com/cf6Zs/IMG-3270.MOV

The recording is bad so I assume earphones are needed to really hear what i mean

edit: that was a terrible record. if it's unclear please tell me. You can hear it only a liiittle bit