Loading games from SD card help

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by Rikutheater, Apr 23, 2013.

Apr 23, 2013
  1. Rikutheater
    OP

Newcomer Rikutheater Member

United States
    Hey there everybody. Recently soft modded my wii with letterbomb and trying to figure out if its possible to get any USB/SD loader to work and load games from my SD card. I'm working with a 16 gig sandisk micro with SD adapter, the cards also used for my android phone. I've tried several methods to try to get d2x cios installed and it keeps coming up with dsi exception errors every time I run it. Any help would definitely be appreciated.

To sum up, im on system menu 4.3u, letterbombed it, and I want to be able to backup games to my SD card and be able to run them with whatever loader will work. Thanks for any help with this.

2. Rikutheater
    OP

United States
    OK. So I was able to get wiiflow up and running, but I'm still having issues. Every time I go to backup a game it freezes for a few seconds, goes to the backup screen for a split second and then "dsi exception occurred" and stack code dump screen shows up. Anything I need to install before hand? Like cios or anything? I haven't been able to run the d2x installer correctly or something. It'll initialize then get to some numbers and downloading 0000000005 and some error will pop up.... every time.... I have no consistent wifi access for my wii so could anyone possibly send the was files from nus? If that's not allowed asking here I apologize for asking, it just seems like everything I try winds up at a dead end.

And sorry for the double post. Just trying to see if anyone is able to help. :(

3. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    If you download ModMii For Windows and tell it to hack your Wii, provide it with a few details that it will ask for (such as current SM and region), but make sure you tell it that your Wii is a virgin (even though it isn't). It will download all files needed to hack it to your computer, for you to move to your SD card and create a custom tailored guide to walk you through the hacking process step by step to get all files installed.

You likely don't have a compatible cIOS installed. You could try running YAWMM with cIOS 236, if that installed, and use it to install the wad for cIOSx d2x 249, but I would just recommend you go the ModMii route. It'll take care of you along the way and also help you get some of your apps (like Wiiflow) set up exactly how you want them.

4. Rikutheater
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the reply man. As far as getting modmii, that's gonna be another issue. My PC doesn't really have internet access either. See, I had a friend of mine download the letterbomb.zip and send it to me. Looks like I'll need to see if he can do this as well. What's YAWMM? And where can I get that to see if it'll work? Never mind, just googled it lol

Oh one last thing. I downloaded ios236 installer and that said it installed everything when I ran it.

5. Sicklyboy

United States
    YAWMM = Yet Another Wad manager Mod. Many people prefer Multi Mod Manager, as it does MANY things, but as far as installing wads I tend to use YAWMM. Just my preference.

I've never run the d2x installer, I've always installed from a WAD, but see if you can now run that under cIOS 236.

Also, just to make sure, you DO have HBC installed at this point, right?

But yeah, the best, most headache free route is going to be to get your friend or someone you know to let you use their computer and download all of the files that ModMii gives you along with the guide (or do exactly what you tell them, but it'll be more frustrating for you because they're not gonna know what the hell is going on lol). It'll be a one-shot thing, it'll download everything you'll need in one go.

Edit - also, I'm assuming you're reading and posting from your phone then. I don't know what kind of a data plan you have or what restrictions your carrier imposes, if that's the case, but is there any possibility you could temporarily tether your phone to the computer for internet access so you can download the stuff?

6. Rikutheater
    OP

United States
    Alright I'm gonna see if YAWMM works. Yeah HBC is installed. As far as the tethering, I've tried to do it with my old busted ass PC but it has no wifi connector or whatever and USB tether was a no go as well. Lol. But ill give this a shot and have a update soon. Thanks man.

7. Sicklyboy

United States
    No problem. You WILL need the other stuff that ModMii gives you installed at some point - some of it provides a slight blanket of protection against "what does this button do" bricks (fiddling with things when you shouldn't be), preserving the hacked state of the console (Priiloader), and enabling you to play homebrew/backups (many different versions of cIOSx d2x and herme's cIOS, backup loaders (which you can download on your own, but this will help configure them for SD loading))

I'll be watching this topic though, let me know how it all goes.

8. Rikutheater
    OP

United States
    Alright that didn't work... I'm using a 16 gig sandisk micro with an adapter. I think this is most of my problem tbh. I've seen mainly you're gonna need a regular SD card for this to work. Oh and I guess I should've asked this first but will this affect anything with running disc regularly?

When I tried to run YAWMM it loaded up I picked ios236 for installation and hit A on mount SD card and it failed to load the file system, would mount ret1 . So many problems lol

9. Sicklyboy

United States
    It -could- be but it isn't necessarily the cause. It's always recommended to use a non-HC SD card, but I routinely use 4 and 8GB SDHC cards to mod and use the wii without a problem.

10. Rikutheater
    OP

United States
    Could you think of anything that would cause that error?

[+]Mounting Wii SD Slot, please wait... OK!
    [+] Retrieving file list... ERROR! (rest =-1)

11. Sicklyboy

United States
    Possibly needs to be formatted with the Panasonic SD formatter, but if you have another SD to test out that would be a little quicker.

Otherwise... since you're on 4.3u, was that off of the internet/a game disk, or did you install the IOS it runs on (I THINK IOS60) and SM 4.3u wad? If you could install wads we wouldn't be trying to figure out why you can't install them. Not my brightest moment. XD

12. Rikutheater
    OP

United States
    Ahh... I need more space lmao. The PC I use is cluttered with a bunch of junk, there's little to no room left to put on it really. Ill try and see if I can't make room for my needed files. Honestly looks like this is gonna have to wait til I either get another SD card or get an external hard drive. Anyhow thanks for the help man.

13. Rikutheater
    OP

United States
    Errrm... so I fudged up. I ran ios236 installer v6, used v5 previously. Ran and said it installed. Went use YAWMM, MMM, Wad manager1.7, and nothing. Impatience and frustration getting the best of me I decided to run it again and just see if I pressed 1 just to see if it would make a damn. And now!!!! 236 is gone and I can't get it back. How to let it know I don't pirate games?

14. Sicklyboy

United States
    Just run a legit disk on your Wii for a few minutes and it -should- let you reinstall it, from what I read.

Or run MMM on IOS36 and tell it to install cIOS236 by itself, which should work.

15. Rikutheater
    OP

United States
    Alrighty, I need a quick answer on this lol. I managed to get it all installed, tried cfg v70 loader. Its running right now but... it keeps saying split error: error writing disc

Its round about 2-3% as I write this. Should I stop this or let it finish?