load iso from wifi

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by MrFrem82, Feb 4, 2010.

Feb 4, 2010

load iso from wifi by MrFrem82 at 6:31 PM (3,627 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. MrFrem82
    OP

Newcomer MrFrem82 Member

Italy
    Hi guys!
    I'm new here,but i'm an active members on an Italian Wii's dedicated community.
    I've a thousand dollar question for you: Does it exist any homebrew application that can transfer my .iso's files from my pc to my wbfs partition on an external harddrive via wii's wifi? Something similiar to the samba on ftp connection of Wiixplorer and MPlayer that allows me to put on an HDD my downloaded iso?

I now that some of you will know the answer to this question.

Thanks

2. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
    Search? I answered this now several times...

No, and there will never be one. Haven't you seen how crappy the Speeds are? The Card is just too crappy, and it will always be crappy, so forget it (via Homebrew).

The WODE-ModChip should be able to stream games via Wi-Fi when it recieves the update, but you'll need a Wi-Fi Card, and the Speed is still slow (as far as I know even slower than 3x Speed).

Summary: No, never. Just too slow.

3. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    AFAIK, there isn't, at least not for WBFS.

If it did exist, it'd likely be EXTREMELY slow. You could scrub them on the PC-side, but you still have to transfer the GBs that are game data, not to mention write it to the disc. Also, the wii's Wi-Fi card simply isn't very fast to begin with.

If you use FAT32 for your USB Loader HDD, ftpii might be able to mount it, but I've never had luck with the feature. Every time I start FTPii, I see something like "Mounting USB Device...failed!"

4. MrFrem82
    OP

Newcomer MrFrem82 Member

Italy
    Ok,thanks for your replies guys!!!

5. Cwiis

Newcomer Cwiis Newbie

Canada
    You could if you were using FAT32 partition (now supported by many loaders) and the WBFS file format for the games. I used Wii Backup Manager to convert my collection. Once it is in FAT32 you can then use Wii Backup Manager to convert your ISOs to WBFS format and manually load them using an FTP client. You can even use NetDrive (abandonware, google for it) to connect via FTP and map the FAT32 (or NTFS) partition to a drive letter. Unfortunately you can't use Wii Backup Manager to automatically copy the files to the drive because, AFAIK, it tries to read the disk directly, which it can't via FTP. In any case it result in NetDrive trying to download the entire partition!

Yes, it is slow. I use Geexbox MINI (wii-mini-0.1beta2) over WiFi with FTP server enabled. I couldn't get WIFI working with IOS version, but haven't tried again yet. I connect to it with Filezilla (latest rev) FTP client on XP SP3 and I get 750kB/s transfer rate. Compare that to ftpii at a mere 230kB/s and also doesn't have NTFS support. For me, 3x speed increase makes booting the MINI version via BootMii is well worth the extra effort, not to mention the added value of NTFS support. I haven't tried WiiXplorer's FTP server yet, but I would suspect similar speeds as with ftpii. Geexbox MINI has full, direct hardware support (doesn't rely on IOS for hardware access) and provides me with full access to multiple FAT32 and NTFS partitions on external USB HDD (Seagate Desktop Drive 500GB) as well as the FAT32 on SD (1GB) at the best possible speeds (that I've found so far!). I find it useful for loading forwarder ISOs (around 2MB) and even full game ISOs if I'm willing at the time to leave it running for a while/overnight or while I'm away.

Sorry I'm late on this post, but thought it might help someone, even if you don't find it useful in your particular situation.

Enjoy!