Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
So I'm looking for two things.

1 - Some live streaming or screen share software that works with games and such properly. Skype's screen share function won't pick up some tools like MCEdit (window appears all white), and while Livestream works, it's a totally pain in the ass to set up and use, I'm looking for something I can run a program, click a button, and stream... without having to set up dates and deal with all the shit Livestream's site is trying to make me do now.

2 - Some software that'll let me record/composite my webcam along with a game. I can record games with FRAPS just fine and can record my webcam with it's own recording software, but the recording software has issues (it delays before recording so I have trouble syncing them) and Idunno' how to composite the two with any of the software I have.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I've got FRAPS for capturing game footage to record already, don't need bandicam or camtasia.

XSplit doesn't look free (for a smooth experience) and I'll rarely stream, so I'm meh on paying for it.

OBS looks like just what I need! Fiddled with it for a few minutes and it looks like it'll let me composite from a bunch of sources at once even if they're not using the same input method (already got it recording a game and my webcam), which is fantastic. It looks like it can record as well as stream through various other services, so I'll mess with it some more and see which service works best.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice I'll have to give OBS a shot then. I typically have to record my desktop, which just a direct feed from my HD PVR is playing. LiveStream is excellent, but I want direct input. XSplit is terrible IMO. If OBS works then all I'd have to do is get a decent microphone.

Edit: Thanks for the creation of this thread, I was about to make something similar.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Hm, looks like OBS's video recording in general is set up for streaming, which means there doesn't seem to be a method to pass the video to a third-party encoder for compression (or specifically, lack of compression), so the video recording is always h.264... I was hoping to be able to record it with no compression for almost full speed, opposed to having to tell it to compress with a high bitrate, slowing down the game and all that jazz.

So for times when I do local recording instead of streaming, I might want some other software. Is there at least anything free that will composite two videos together? I know high-end video software can do it, but eh.

I tried instagib.tv and the signup+streaming was like a 2 minute process at worst so it'd be great... but I'm getting weird sound effect echos (viewers are seeing it too) that don't show up when recording locally, so yeah I'm going to try twitch as another service now.

EDIT: Damnit it's doing the same thing with twitch. D:

EDIT2: Fixed, I muted the browser. I was watching the stream too while I was playing, and it seems that these video capture programs capture ALL audio, not just the game... so it was echoing itself because it was playing a second after recording. XD So for streaming this stuff seems to work fine, especially for having <1Mb/s upload.

Now my issue is recording multiple streams with good quality...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjy9nc5QwBY