Hardware Liquid Metal Cooling Nintendo Switch

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I get that but the most important thing you'll get out of it are less fps drops. The switch cpu speed is affected with temps

I thought the clock speeds are locked and not affected by temperatures and that temperatures will just rise until the console shuts off. And even then, this shows it's rather difficult to overheat it. Am I wrong? I will add that my brother is using the official dock while I threw it away as quickly as possible and I'm using the small 3rd party one and I've never been bothered with fan noise. His sounded much louder. Yes, I do play with headphones all the time but when I've taken them off I've really noticed how quiet the switch is when idle in Rabbids and that's a taxing game.

Last edited by isoboy,

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I thought the clock speeds are locked and not affected by temperatures and that temperatures will just rise until the console shuts off. And even then, this shows it's rather difficult to overheat it. Am I wrong?
On gamers nexus they showed that frame drops occured when thermal limit was reached and that the switch probably downclocks to remain at a good temperature. The drops Always happen when the switch reaches 59 - 60 degrees and then it goes lower again and the drops go away

Reactions: tomcoleman

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On gamers nexus they showed that frame drops occured when thermal limit was reached and that the switch probably downclocks to remain at a good temperature. The drops Always happen when the switch reaches 59 - 60 degrees and then it goes lower again and the drops go away
Until someone shows proof that installing some kind of new paste or liquid metal on the cpu actually enhances gameplay in a big way (as in really helps remove gameplay stutter or fps drops in a meaningful way), I won't bother but if need be I'll totally do it.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Until someone shows proof that installing some kind of new paste or liquid metal on the cpu actually enhances gameplay in a big way (as in really helps remove gameplay stutter or fps drops in a meaningful way), I won't bother but if need be I'll totally do it.
I just told you. Gamer nexus did. They showed that when a switch hits 59-60 degrees fps drops happen because of switch probably downclocking to maintain a good temperature. There are plenty of reports of users changing to premium paste or liquid metal that temperatures stay lower so meaning no more fps drops.

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just told you. Gamer nexus did. They showed that when a switch hits 59-60 degrees fps drops happen because of switch probably downclocking to maintain a good temperature. There are plenty of reports of users changing to premium paste or liquid metal that temperatures stay lower so meaning no more fps drops.

Whatever their results, I have yet to play something on my switch where doing this would benefit me. I played Zelda on Wii U and the switch version has been patched to run at a stable 30fps like 95% at the time at this point. You need to show me better examples than that. A great example would be Lego City. The framerate is all over the place, it dips constantly. - IF - that was due to clockspeed throttling and - NOT- poor optimization I'd love to see some proof of that.

Last edited by isoboy,

Sonansune

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That couldn't be anymore wrong.
have you watched the video yet?
he said liquid metal thermal paste on phone will put your phone in risk of gettting short circuit, since phone always moving around. It's not worth to do unless you are aiming for benchmark only.
switch is even vertical in docking all the time, paste may leak out through the time and cause short circuit.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
he said liquid metal thermal paste on phone will put your phone in risk of gettting short circuit, since phone always moving around. It's not worth to do unless you are aiming for benchmark only.
switch is even vertical in docking all the time, paste may leak out through the time and cause short circuit.
yeah true that. I forgot about that aspect actually. The surface pressure would keep it in place if the movement wasn't that absurd but the possibility is there that eventually a small drop can leak on the circuit or the aluminium itself by letting it drop or something like that. I don't think movement itself would do something about the surface pressure because in that regard all cpu's would leak because you delid them while they're flat and when done you put them up sideways

Last edited by kumikochan,

Sonansune

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yeah true that. I forgot about that aspect actually. The surface pressure would keep it in place if the movement wasn't that absurd but the possibility is there that eventually a small drop can leak on the circuit or the aluminium itself by letting it drop or something like that. I don't think movement itself would do something about the surface pressure because in that regard all cpu's would leak because you delid them while they're flat and when done you put them up sideways
and they using electric tape surround cpu to avoid any possible leak:lol:.
they said liquid metal paste can't used on aluminium directly, it will turn the aluminium into crispy flakes:rofl:

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Movement or my Vita falling on the floor or hitting something hard was the reason I actually removed the higher capacity battery I installed in it. I've soldered many electronic chips before but this was the first time I wasn't confident with my mod. The wires sat nicely on the solder blobs but I could easily poke them and they came off the battery. That's a risk for shorting the battery and making it catch on fire or explode. Safety first. Removed it and reinstalled a brand new official battery.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
and they using electric tape surround cpu to avoid any possible leak:lol:.
they said liquid metal paste can't used on aluminium directly, it will turn the aluminium into crispy flakes:rofl:
What do you mean tape ? I never used any tape whatsoever when delidding my cpu's so i don't get what you mean with tape

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You're right, I apologize for jumping the gun. My bad. It did seem like a proper idea at the time though. lmao.

didn't realize the switch needed more cooling, cool i suppose ;)
Tbh, I foresee tampering with the clockspeed being a thing once CFW is properly implemented. With that being said, I'll definitely look at what I can do to help cool the Switch further. It's more like a computer than anything now that I look at it.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I have some silver thermal paste I use on my Raspberry Pi 3, and it drops temps down HELLA. So I feel confident enough to do this mod. I'll use a small amount though, as it IS a metal paste, but it's not runny.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1