Linux mint- how to fix this annoying issue?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by jDSX, Feb 3, 2016.

1. jDSX
    OP

jDSX *pokes*

Jun 15, 2015
    United States
    Happy furry land with Lucar
    I installed linux mint last night after getting sick of windows (great OS btw) I messed around not much, I couldn't find my gpu driver which is a AMD gpu. I want to mainly use it for watching movies with VLC or something like it, installed vlc and now when I watch a movie I get bad screen tearing during the movie and it's hard to watch especially an action movie.

I'd like to know if there is a fix for it? I am using linux mint cinnamon latest version I tried setting in vlc and they are seemingly useless.

2. jDSX
    OP

jDSX *pokes*

Jun 15, 2015
    United States
    Bump with no updates, my gpu driver is installed properly and still having this problem in linux :(

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I had the opposite problem with tearing in things other than VLC.

Anyway when you say you could not find a driver did you use the proprietary drivers or was it just that the proprietary version of fglrx was not playing with your GPU?

4. jDSX
    OP

jDSX *pokes*

Jun 15, 2015
    United States
    I used the catalyst control center for my gpu on linux. Do you think I should try the beta drivers to see if it makes it go away?