Linux exe's?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Primenay13, Sep 27, 2009.

Sep 27, 2009

Linux exe's? by Primenay13 at 9:44 PM (849 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. Primenay13
    OP

Member Primenay13 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    how can I run windows exe files on linux? Is there any way?

2. King Zargo

Member King Zargo I'm a Star

Netherlands
    You must instal wine. But I dont know how Wine works [​IMG]

3. Primenay13
    OP

United States
    Where do I get this wine? Does anyone have instructions on how to install it?

4. King Zargo

Member King Zargo I'm a Star

Netherlands
    What kind of distro are you using? Ubuntu?

5. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    Get it at http://www.winehq.org/

Or, if you're using Ubuntu or Debian just type "apt-get wine" on the console [​IMG]

Be aware that it doesn't have 100% compatibility, but most of the basic stuff should work.

6. Primenay13
    OP

United States
    I'm sorry Im a linux noob. Can someone give step by step instructions. like what options to go to. Im using the iceweasel browser and I download but it just opens a folder with exes in them please help.

EDIT: Also I am using knoppix on a cdrom as my boot.

7. Primenay13
    OP

United States
    Do you just type something in the command promt or what? I have no Idea how to do this

8. fuli

Newcomer fuli Newbie

Hungary
    As far as I read the knoppix is a debian based distribution. So open a terminal and type:
    "sudo apt-get install wine"
    When it finishes installing log out then log in and you can run .exe files.
    Most likely the wine default settings will be OK and there won't be any problem.

9. Sir-Fritz

Member Sir-Fritz GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    If you need this much help maybe you shouldnt be using linux.

10. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I think it is best if we take this from the ground up.

Among other things every half decent operating system provides methods by which programmers can do common or otherwise boring tasks, these are called APIs (application programming interface) although there are other things that come into play like drivers. They come in many forms on windows the but most common one you will see are the DLL files that litter your system (there is an important aside here that may clarify things for you but I plan to skip it, search for "DLL hell" if you want more and if you ask I suppose I could bang something out).
    These are the primary reason you can not just take a program that runs on a windows based system and the run linux on the exact same hardware and expect it to work (it gets a bit more complex as operating systems also limit what individual pieces of code can do- linux more so than most windows).

Knowing what they are and what they do allows you to replicate this but as any programmer with some windows experience will tell you MS keeps many of them locked away, others do not operate as you might expect and seen as thousands of programmers made windows it is a big mess. Still some people have endeavoured to reverse engineer windows and one of the projects made by doing such things is WINE which allows apps to use the windows api set to run. For reasons mentioned in the first sentence this is far from flawless but not everything uses every API (all the time- some apps will just miss a bit of rare or indeed not so rare functionality) or expects them to perform to the fullest so you can run many apps using it. Many devs will also aim to have their programs work in WINE too.

There are arguably 3 parts to the WINE project/setup:

The core of WINE- this is the linux executable that packs the windows APIs among other things, you can often also augment the WINE package with windows DLL files (directX is a popular, if somewhat misguided, one). Taking this to the extreme there are projects like ReactOS (aiming to make an open source version of windows) but few will ever go anywhere near this level for general applications.

The frontend- can be anything from the basic command line to a full fledged "desktop environment". The command line is usually the way of choice for those who know what they are doing and you can usually bastardise your operating system to run exe files with wine automatically. Naturally this varies from linux distribution to linux distribution and I will attempt to cover the basics after these three points.
    Some of the more advanced frontends include things like those mentioned here ( http://wiki.winehq.org/ThirdPartyApplications ) or even the spinoff project (sort of) known as cedega (aimed at games more than anything else) which can be anything from simple command line wrappers to full blow solutions (will carry out tweaks to get given apps to run).

The libraries- aimed at programmers more but if an open source windows app appears these libraries can allow you to build said app meaning you do not have to change much code (I doubt much beyond the archetypal hello world will even compile let alone do so without errors and work without things being changed). I sense this is a bit beyond you right now but it is worth knowing for the future.

The basics:
    I am aiming this more at your predicament but I will try keep it a bit more general than I might.
    Linux is just a kernel, it is usually left to others to wrap it up and bundle some applications with it. Popular distributions include slackware, debian, ubuntu, fedora and there are many many many..... many more (see http://distrowatch.com/ ) along with those who build their own.
    While many of these distributions share a method of installing files (usually termed package manager although not quite accurate for some distributions) or can use another method from another distribution (generally not advised). Most people do not see this though and will instead just run the little app that allows them to select files from a list and run them. These little apps generally browse so called repositories which are owned and maintained by people the distribution trusts, there are third parties who make their own apps and there are big projects like WINE here that will compile their code for the more common package formats (usually debian and so ubuntu and linux mint, slackware, suse, fedora and beyond- WINE is actually a fairly good representation of the common ones: http://www.winehq.org/download/ ). WINE is available for most distributions although few install it "out of the box" for whatever reason. The reason I mention the main WINE site is because updates can come thick and fast and your distro of choice may lag behind for a while where the main site would not.

Step 1 is install it however you would.
    Step 2 is configure it: part of nearly every operating system is a bunch of predefined directories and drives for doing various things. You should have a WINE config option allowing you to set these and other options... you may have a nice frontend to do this for you but I always suggest knowing this.
    Step 3 is running the app.
    From the command line/terminal you usually type something like "WINE somefile.exe" which runs it. You may like to put a location in yourself or if you find yourself in a directory with it in/it is in a predefined directory (unlikely and possibly a bad idea).
    You can often tell your distro to run all .exe files (actually it will more likely read the header of the file but same idea for the most part- linux tends to ignore extensions in favour of something more reliable like a file header) in this manner but often you will miss out on valuable information like what the app fails to find (remember that part where I said you can use windows DLL files to patch over missing functionality).
    Next up is the frontend, these can vary quite widely as to how they work so I suggest reading their manuals- generally though they will be aimed at a bunch of apps and/or have a simple command line wrapper.

11. Primenay13
    OP

United States
    lol I don't have a choice my comp (now broken) cant run anything else.