Suggestion Like Morrowind & dont mind using android? This might be the best experience on switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by Basketto, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Basketto
    OP

Basketto GBAtemp Regular

Jun 25, 2019
    Australia

Just stumbled on this :P.

Only requires a free google play app called OpenMicrowave + a copy of a legit Morrowind folder

Last edited by Basketto, Sep 11, 2019
  2. Daggot

Daggot GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 3, 2015
    United States
    Isn't OpenMW already on the switch?

3. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    It is, performance isn't super though, not sure if Android is any better.

4. Basketto
    OP

Basketto GBAtemp Regular

Jun 25, 2019
    Australia
    This is through open microwave app, I imagine you will be able to increase graphical capabilities to a higher standard than the ubuntu/port to horizon, although unsure atm. I havent tried the port in a while but from what i recall ubuntu worked better, out of the 2 so far.

5. notimp

notimp GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2007
  6. Basketto
    OP

Basketto GBAtemp Regular

Jun 25, 2019
    Australia
    I have just tried this :P, unless your using a program to overclock you wont get the same performance on horizon unless something changed dramatically. Load times seem pretty decent with mods too which i found a little painful with the ported version. I should mention the visuals look pretty top notch too. If you like the horizon version enjoy! It works well. But I wouldnt be so quick to discard this unless you outright dont like running android on switch

7. notimp

notimp GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2007
    Have you used energy profile settings on android? If so - you have overclocked your switch.
    So the statement potentially becomes:

Android is better because of overclocking, if you dont overclock while using the alternative.

Could that be the difference?

8. chaoskagami

chaoskagami G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚

Mar 26, 2016
    United States
    ↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
    Yes.

The same applications probably do perform worse at the same clock speeds due to IPC overhead, but it's probably related to performance settings here. Horizon OpenMW doesn't change clock speeds, so you're getting the "normal" clock, which is whatever the current HBL takeover application's clock speed is (so if BotW is overlocked and you run HBL via its icon with R, sys-clk applies that speed unless its code changed.) In portable mode, the defaults are terrible.

Last edited by chaoskagami, Sep 11, 2019
  9. Jkid291

Jkid291 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2018
    United States
    In practicality it would probably be easier to just use OpenWM as its just installing and playing, easy enough to overclock in cfw, as well as easy (if you know what your doing) modding it. If you don't want to install .nsp files to your switch then this method works great. You probably will get more management out of the android version (and easier save editing?)

10. Basketto
    OP

Basketto GBAtemp Regular

Jun 25, 2019
    Australia
    I have used performance before, but my tests are using balance so far* pretty sure the balance has the same CPU as horizon and slightly increased GPU to portable. Should add too right off the bat, this version gives off more appealing visuals.

Last edited by Basketto, Sep 11, 2019
    notimp likes this.
  11. Jackson98

Jackson98 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 8, 2017
    Australia
    Kudos, this runs very well and has lovely visuals! The only annoyance I have found is that with the use of the Switch pro controller, L&R Triggers cannot be read at all when mapping the controllers.

Basketto likes this.
  12. notimp

notimp GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2007
    Just to state it as well, the Horizon native version has a resolution slider. By default it runs in a SD resolution, you can change that. :)

Basketto likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted