GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
M3 = Multi3 = English, Italian, Spanish (or another combination, sometimes English, French, Spanish etc...)

M5 = Multi5 = English, French, German, Spanish, Italian,

M6 = Multi6 = English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Japanese (or sometimes replace Japanese with another European language such as Nederlands).

Orc

‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong

tama_mog

Kupo
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I may be wrong now I think about it, I think it's the m3-forums that forbid the posting of group names since I see the group names int he release nfos found here. =P

larvi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the NDS ones I understand pretty well it some of the older console ones that I have no clue on. What does (h1) (b1) (f1) (o1) (!), etc mean for example?

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WRG is the release group, don't post release group names on this forum, it's one of the rules.

Since when has that been a rule?
unsure.gif
Considering we post the release group on every release topic.

Orc

‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong
the NDS ones I understand pretty well it some of the older console ones that I have no clue on. What does (h1) (b1) (f1) (o1) (!), etc mean for example?

h* are hacked roms, b* are bad dumps, f* are fixed, o* are overdumps, ! are verified good dumps, So be good and he'll bring you everything in your Romlist alphabet!

EDIT: Those are only used by the Good**** tools by Cowering btw. a* are for alternate roms and T-/T+ for translations. Don't really bother to know them lol.

larvi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the NDS ones I understand pretty well it some of the older console ones that I have no clue on.  What does (h1) (b1) (f1) (o1) (!), etc mean for example?

h* are hacked roms, b* are bad dumps, f* are fixed, o* are overdumps, ! are verified good dumps, So be good and he'll bring you everything in your Romlist alphabet!

EDIT: Those are only used by the Good**** tools by Cowering btw. a* are for alternate roms and T-/T+ for translations. Don't really bother to know them lol.

Thanks
bow.gif
Those have been bugging me for a while, I even googled quite a bit trying to find the meanings but really didn't know what to begin to search on.

forkyfork

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
On this same topic, why are some rom names originally named as ..

asdf-wrg.zip

I know the last three letters are the release grou, but what about the first three letters. They're an abbreviation. But why isn't the rom just publishd as the title (releasegroup).zip. What's with the 4 letters?

Orc

‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Hong Kong

asdf-wrg.zip

I know the last three letters are the release grou, but what about the first three letters. They're an abbreviation. But why isn't the rom just publishd as the title (releasegroup).zip. What's with the 4 letters?

8 characters for the base file name and 3 characters for the extension? Something to do with the FAT file naming? Dunno really. I'm not from teh scene LOL

lagman

I wish I was green.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
Let´s pretend we are talking about #1196 Blackthorne (Europe)

File Name: ep-black.zip -I think this is the format that the reease groups use-
Internal Name: BLACKTHORNE -This is the name that came with the game-
Serial: AGB-AQXP-EUR -I dunno ´bout this one-

It must be the same for DS

GBARMS know it all
wub.gif

lagman

I wish I was green.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
I check, and you´re completely right, it came in the damn cart.
I´m a dork.

Edit:
It is on the box too, 3 times; one above the codebar and two in a place which name I don´t know
tongue.gif

Here we called them box´s ears
shy.gif

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

asdf-wrg.zip

The first bit of letters are an abbreviation of the game, and the last bit is the release group.

Originally computers could only handle 8 character files. So if you typed in thisismyfile.zip it would rename it to thisis~1.zip

I assume it's just a continuation of tradition from when they could only name it 8 characters.

Plus it's really not necessary to have long file names anyway.

Pundan

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The reason why the directories etc are named in a certain way is because back in the old days of the BBS scene and so forth you couldn't use spaces in your filenames. So that's why they're_all_bound_together_by_these_underscores. Nowadays it's basically just something that has stuck and it's also there for preventing troubles with UNIX and so forth.

asdf-wrg.zip

8 characters for the base file name and 3 characters for the extension? Something to do with the FAT file naming? Dunno really. I'm not from teh scene LOL

Same thing here, this is something that has stuck aswell. It isn't something that is strictly limited to just GBA/NDS releases as this is used everywhere by release groups.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning