1. osm70

osm70 GBAtemp Maniac

Czech Republic
    Updating and changing the rules... yeah, that isn't going to happen. The moment you try touching the first amendmend you get an angry mob because you are "trying to take their rights away" and "suppressing free speech".

2. UltraSUPRA

UltraSUPRA Masks don't work.
    Suspended

United States
    It's almost like absolute freedom of speech is the most important freedom one can have. Have you read 1984?

3. osm70

osm70 GBAtemp Maniac

Czech Republic
    I agree that freedom of speech is important. But I don't think it should be 100% absolute. To give you an example... would you be OK with someone randomly telling all your friends and family that you are a rapist and a pedophile? Surely you would want to press legal charges, wouldn't you?

4. UltraSUPRA

Suspended

United States
    That's an odd point to come up with when that's exactly what you've been doing with Trump.

5. osm70

osm70 GBAtemp Maniac

Czech Republic
    Well, I have never called Trump either a rapist or a pedophile. I have no idea whether he is one or not and I am not someone who would just say random crap about others. Now, assuming Trump is neither a rapist nor a pedophile, telling everyone he is of course isn't something I would approve of.

Also, you haven't answered my question. Would you respect their free speech or would you want to press charges?

6. UltraSUPRA

Suspended

United States
    I'd respect their free speech. Remember ProJared and RelaxAlax? They were under fire for a bit, and then the truth revealed itself. It always does, one way or another. I'd show my evidence, but I wouldn't sue.

7. osm70

osm70 GBAtemp Maniac

Czech Republic
    If that's true then you are way "less fragile" (for lack of a better term) than most people. I am pretty sure almost everyone would flip out and sue them as hard as possible. At least where I'm from.

8. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

United States
    Even permanently banned from Snapchat.

Shadow#1 likes this.
  9. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Seems a mere association (not conviction in court of law, though even that would be dubious) can get you pinged from Airbnb

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a...ks-inauguration-week-reservations/ar-BB1cIZQl

Well that is a thing.

I hope the movers and shakers in silly cunt valley understand their actions -- even with California mag size restrictions it takes but one shot and that kind of prodding looks like it is going to wind someone up that is not a little girl that fucked in the head before too long.

10. monkeyman4412

OP monkeyman4412 Gbatemp's moronic trash

United States
    Well, you really can't just leave the rhetoric either. Especially considering that this group of people was out to kill. and was actually a lot more organized than at first glance. it's now being realized the main thing was to lead out the police for other groups to place bombs. And something fucky was going on, since police officers that knew something was going to happen, was told to go home early, and then when the riots started happening they were asking what the fuck why their phones weren't going off.
    Free speech is not absolute. It has limits.
    There is also a paradox of tolerance really. Maga, proud boys and so on, are openly intolerant to groups of people. May it be leftists/liberals(they aren't the same but in their eyes it is), or (ethic group here)
    They want them dead. Tolerating that essentially get's that group killed.
    So really you shouldn't be tolerating the intolerable if you actually want to defend tolerance. Since really, if you bend with the intolerant group, or become tolerant with that group. Your not being tolerant anymore, your acting/supporting intolerance.

Last edited by monkeyman4412, Jan 14, 2021
    IncredulousP and Plasmaster09 like this.
  11. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Do the maga set or proud boys, nebulous classifications though they may be, have any history of disliking I presume that is supposed to be ethnic there (anybody can dislike anybody else for the ethics they have, part of the whole free speech thing)?

As far as bombs then one making radical claims need to provide evidence.

" Free speech is not absolute. It has limits."
    For some, myself included. The question is ever what those limits are. I kind of like the informal US model (libel/slander, direct incitement) and with that in mind I am not sure any limits were broached.

So really you shouldn't be tolerating the intolerable if you actually want to defend tolerance

"I may not like what you have to say but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

12. djpannda

djpannda GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    aww you just read in school I take it... don't forget the freedom of not getting shot because of the color of your skin

13. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Is that a thing that commonly happens these days in places people care to live?

BlazeMasterBM likes this.
  14. BlazeMasterBM

BlazeMasterBM Member
    Newcomer

Romania
    It is scary that big tech is able to silence anything that goes against the narrative given to them by society. Basically, social media is becoming more and more of an echo chamber and becoming less and less civil and open-minded. I don't trust big tech as far as I can throw them.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - amendment, social, first