LEGO Worlds announced

lego11.PNG

Warner Bros. and TT Games just announced LEGO Worlds - The title will launch via STEAM Early Access today and looks to be Lego's own version of Minecraft.

Here is the press release:
"Developed by TT Games, LEGO Worlds allows players to use LEGO building sets digitally so they can build and create wherever their skills and imagination roam.
LEGO Worlds embodies the physical, LEGO brick-building fun that consumers have enjoyed for decades, on a digital platform that delivers an entirely new type of experience with the beloved bricks,” said Tom Stone, Managing Director, TT Games.
“From the brick-by-brick editor, to discovering an expansive range of items, characters and creatures to populate your worlds – the creative possibilities are endless.”
In LEGO Worlds, players have the freedom to alter procedurally generated worlds and create anything they can imagine one brick at a time, or use prefabricated structures to customize their environments. Large-scale landscaping tools are available to modify terrain quickly and easily. Entire worlds and creations are brought to life with characters and creatures that interact with each other as well as the player in unexpected ways.
From helicopters to dragons, motorbikes to bears, there are always interesting ways for players to explore the vast worlds and discover hidden treasures. Fans of the LEGO building sets will be rewarded with a select number of commercially available sets that can be unlocked in-game during Early Access, with many more to come in future game updates.
Future plans will also offer multiplayer and sharing features, for friends to experience each other’s worlds and show-off their creations.

leg1.jpg leg2.jpg leg3.jpg

:arrow:Press Release via GBAtemp Inbox

Reactions: migles and Margen67

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
There are chests with special items (so far I've found a blunderbuss and a banana) but above ground. One on top of what looked like a quarter of a tower, and one on top of a rock pillar. So they're sorta out of the way. But, like the currently available creatures and vehicles, I'm sure they're there only to show what's possible. There's no way the current version of the digger will live on (unless it's a reward for like, 100% completion or something). There is a smaller vehicle that has less digging capability, but it's still rather powerful. If the developer is smart at all, they'll make the vehicles require fuel, consuming more with increased capabilities, and making fuel, coal, or whatever a natural resource you can gather. There are also animals you can ride on (including flying ones, like an eagle or a dragon). Considering how powerful the ability to fly is, they should make living mounts require meat or some kind of food, similar to the vehicles.

But, even if they don't make these changes, they'd be even more stupid not to add Steam Workshop compatibility. So, if they fail at making an enjoyable experience, I'm sure there will be people out there who are more than willing to make some themselves, and share it with the community. I certainly would enjoy some sort of Survival mode.
There are bone people who will attack you
There are also cavepeople who run away from you, trying to hun them down and get close enough to unlock the character is kinde amusing for a little while (get on a horse for that). I like how you can unlock LEGO sets from different packs like Lego City. Another thing was when i found the rubber speed boat and while roaming the water i stumbled across a submarine, trying to get it closer by land my screen switched between white and the play area, exiting the sub was not possible anymore and the suecide button didn't work, had to force close the game (it's a beta after all)
I like how you can climb mountains and trees, but it's a pitty you don't have to gather resources with tools for whatever possibility it can be used for (it's lego, so you can build whatever you like anyway without needing tools). It's nice they have kept the coin collection in this game to :)

And what's with the huge colored mushriooms everywhere? :P

dimmidice

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm actually worried about the wording of the future features list. It could be interpreted as being added to the Early Access version or the full, retail version.
anyone who buys the early access game gets the full version though? that's how early access always works on steam AFAIK. did you read anywhere it's different for lego worlds?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Christ...FINALLY! I was thinking those guys working at lego-company couldn't add two and two. A minecraft clone is so right up their alley it's not even funny anymore. :P

I still gotta chuckle. Practically everyone compared minecraft with building stuff as if with lego. Now that lego does it, everyone says it's like minecraft. :lol:

Reactions: dimmidice

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Minecraft is actually dying down. It's quickly becoming archaic and outdated thanks to the shackles of java, and very very limited dev support. I'm sure people will start looking for something better. I'm hoping Oort Online delivers its promises. Lots of good ideas to add onto the ol minecraft feel. But Lego games always have the potential to do well, since a LOT of people loved and still love lego. It's just one of those things. So a lego minecraft game could potentially be a hit. Hell, i'll try it.

this.
minecraft was built on a very crappy language...
if it was built on an actual language imo it would be one of the best games...
minecraft is a simple game, it's hard to understand how a simple game that looks like a early 3d game, has problems running on my pc, while it can run decent games at low specs..

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
anyone who buys the early access game gets the full version though? that's how early access always works on steam AFAIK. did you read anywhere it's different for lego worlds?
What I meant was that it wasn't clear if those features would be available at launch or if they would be added later on through patches.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This looks pretty cool and I like the mass building functions. Does anyone know if there is a similar method to building circuits as with MC? If they go full MindStorms simulation in this it would be amazing!

mercuryshadow09

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
looking at these screenshots i'd say it came right on time. anyone who ever played and loved minecraft will cream their pants when looking at this. unless of course they don't like lego. but anyone who's in touch with their inner child is going to want to play this IMO.

i think if it had come out before minecraft people would've dismissed it as saying "eh, lego's for kids" but minecraft opened up block building to people of all ages. iono just my 0.2$

As one of the Minecraft junkies you refer to.....yes, yes YES!!!

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
My girlfriend bought this, watched her play a bit and...it doesn't look too bad? I guess?

The building mode is a little buggy and hard to use right now, so building giant cool artistic structures is sort of out. The vehicles and stuff they threw in were pretty cool, I especially enjoyed the driller, you can just dig giant pits to hell if you wanted to. Everything else was pretty eh, there are a few different landscapes around the world that are randomly generated like Minecraft, but (also like Minecraft) they got pretty repetitive and boring after a bit. Being able to change the way your character looks is kinda neat, but also lacks a bit of diversity (that I would imagine would be expanded upon by release and with mods). I was also kinda disappointed you couldn't build your own vehicles, I'm hoping they throw something like that into the game at some point before release.

If they throw in vehicle creation and online multiplayer I might give it a go when it releases, but otherwise I probably won't bother with it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.