LEGO Worlds announced

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by T-hug, Jun 1, 2015.

1. T-hug
    OP

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    lego11.PNG
    Warner Bros. and TT Games just announced LEGO Worlds - The title will launch via STEAM Early Access today and looks to be Lego's own version of Minecraft.

Here is the press release:

leg1.jpg leg2.jpg leg3.jpg
    :arrow:Press Release via GBAtemp Inbox

migles and Margen67 like this.

2. VinsCool

VinsCool Delusional

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Basically, another minecraft clone.

This should have been minecraft first.

lPolarisl, nxwing and Cid2mizard like this.
  3. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    that's really a very unfair thing to say. it looks to be much much better than minecraft in my opinion. with many extra features. but obviously this is aimed more at kids than minecraft was.

nxwing and Margen67 like this.
  4. VinsCool

VinsCool Delusional

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    What I mean, is that THIS should have been minecraft at first. I always refered it as a "lego" game
    Lego world is now a thing, but it's... A bit too late.

nxwing and dimmidice like this.
  5. dimmidice

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    looking at these screenshots i'd say it came right on time. anyone who ever played and loved minecraft will cream their pants when looking at this. unless of course they don't like lego. but anyone who's in touch with their inner child is going to want to play this IMO.

i think if it had come out before minecraft people would've dismissed it as saying "eh, lego's for kids" but minecraft opened up block building to people of all ages. iono just my 0.2$

mercuryshadow09 and VinsCool like this.
  6. XrosBlader821

XrosBlader821 Digimon Tamer

Feb 1, 2014
    Gambia, The
    I'm looking forward to this. Grew up with Lego and the possibilities in Creative expression are endless and less limited than with Minecraft.

7. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Minecraft is actually dying down. It's quickly becoming archaic and outdated thanks to the shackles of java, and very very limited dev support. I'm sure people will start looking for something better. I'm hoping Oort Online delivers its promises. Lots of good ideas to add onto the ol minecraft feel. But Lego games always have the potential to do well, since a LOT of people loved and still love lego. It's just one of those things. So a lego minecraft game could potentially be a hit. Hell, i'll try it.

8. dimmidice

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    i agree. minecraft hasn't really improved at all in ages. it's added some insignificant content updates. but other than that its the mods that keep it alive. the base engine of minecraft just isn't very good to be honest.

mercuryshadow09 likes this.
  9. Magnus87

Magnus87 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 28, 2013
    Argentina
    I like it but we have many minecraft clones and also Lego Dimension

10. stanleyopar2000

stanleyopar2000 The Official GBATEMP Thread Killer. No Mercy.

Jun 22, 2007
    United States
    and this is the #1 reason why Notch sold the Minecraft IP. He got from underneath it while it barely had steam left

Margen67 likes this.
  11. Yil

Yil GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 19, 2014
    Canada
    Back in the day lego released a game called Lego Creator which has the same thing as Minecraft(beside exploration) with tnt in games(which your mini fig can hold).
    This game has far more potential than Minecraft if this has constructible vehicles. And lego is a kind of more realistic.

12. MaskedRed

MaskedRed Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 11, 2015
    United States
    Inside A Giant Whale
    Honestly, this looks rather fun and i don't knowif those building tools are presented in OG Minecraft but i assume they'll be really useful for building things. Personally i hope the "Exploration" and the fighting aspect are fun and have incentives for you to actually keep on fighting like Minecrafts EXP bar.Is it Going to be PC only?

13. DjoeN

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    Said it long ago, Lego should do a Minceraft alike game, now it's here, downloading it right now for €14,99
    I loved Minecraft, but got tired of it, no real new innovation since 1.7 and up.

I don't play alot of games, but i didn't mind paying the money for this game (somebody has to :P ) cause i see alot of potential in it (i could be wrong to ; ) )

[EDIT]
    Ok, i have to get used to this, but damned, riding a horse as like real :)
    It's a whole different game, get Minecraft out of your mind, you can build brick by brick what you want or get prebuild stuff, you can unlock verhicles and you have to collect the famous Lego coins by breaking whatever you come across :)

But yeah, it's beta, you notice, plenty of bugs in it, and playing in full hd has it's problems on a slower computer like mine, but it plays mostly fluent, seen plenty of Minecraft clones, but this has the most promises

Last edited by DjoeN, Jun 1, 2015
    nxwing and T-hug like this.
  14. TwistedZeon

TwistedZeon Zettai Zetsumei Toshi 3 Translation Project Leader

May 15, 2014
    Canada
    In my opinion, this is the Lego game they should have made a long time ago not all these licensed games like star wars and batman (even though they are good games). This reminds me of the days of Lego Island, when Lego actually didn't have to rely on others to make ideas for them.

I really look forward to this game!

Technicmaster0 likes this.
  15. Snugglevixen

Snugglevixen Fox Princess

Feb 17, 2015
    New Zealand
    My den
    I'm planning to get Minecraft to play with a friend of mine on XB1 but if this comes to XB1 we will probably be playing this instead.

Too bad it's currently only on Steam.

16. Crass

Crass Rock me Dr. Zaius

Nov 3, 2006
    United States
    Oregon
    Looks interesting, but the lack of multiplayer will keep me away for the time being.

17. Walker D

Walker D I have a hat

Nov 15, 2009
    Brazil
    My home
    Interesting... graphically, it's definitely better than Minecraft... ...lets see how it turns out

18. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    I tried it out. It's definitely got potential, but it is missing a lot of features, so if you're hesitant, you might want to wait while they're added. It's got plenty of bugs, but at least some were funny. I constructed a digger while swimming and it launched me into the sky, and I either got stuck or was so high up that it would have taken me forever to fall down. Thank goodness for a suicide (respawn) button. They expect it to be out in early 2016, but with game delays being the norm nowadays, who knows when it will actually come out.

I'm actually worried about the wording of the future features list. It could be interpreted as being added to the Early Access version or the full, retail version. Some features like the procedurally generated caves are rather important when it comes to one of the main aspects of this game: exploration. Right now, if you dig down, there's just LEGO bricks until you hit the bottom, and simply can't go further. No ore, no monsters, no treasure chests, etc. It's part of the reason why I found the Early Access version to be boring, since that was my favorite part of Minecraft. There better not be Creepers in LEGO Worlds, though... they haunt my dreams to this day...

19. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    A lot of this is exactly why I'm hesitant to purchase now. This is the first day it's been out, thus, it's going to have far more bugs than it will probably have even a week from now. Besides that, everything I've read about why it's fun so far is focused on what you can do above ground, but a lot of fun also comes from exploring underground worlds in these types of games. I don't necessarily need ore, but it would be nice if there were caves with chests with special bricks, dungeons that reward better and cooler weapons, or new building designs, etc. There is a lot of potential and tons of Lego material to work with. I just hope they make the most of it to create an expansive, yet unique experience. As it stands, one major thing that stands out to me is that it sounds like the digger should either be tuned down or axed in the final version, as it would be too easy to plow through maps and find everything worth finding in rather quick succession.

All in all, it has my curiosity, but I need at least a few major updates before I can consider purchasing.

20. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    There are chests with special items (so far I've found a blunderbuss and a banana) but above ground. One on top of what looked like a quarter of a tower, and one on top of a rock pillar. So they're sorta out of the way. But, like the currently available creatures and vehicles, I'm sure they're there only to show what's possible. There's no way the current version of the digger will live on (unless it's a reward for like, 100% completion or something). There is a smaller vehicle that has less digging capability, but it's still rather powerful. If the developer is smart at all, they'll make the vehicles require fuel, consuming more with increased capabilities, and making fuel, coal, or whatever a natural resource you can gather. There are also animals you can ride on (including flying ones, like an eagle or a dragon). Considering how powerful the ability to fly is, they should make living mounts require meat or some kind of food, similar to the vehicles.

But, even if they don't make these changes, they'd be even more stupid not to add Steam Workshop compatibility. So, if they fail at making an enjoyable experience, I'm sure there will be people out there who are more than willing to make some themselves, and share it with the community. I certainly would enjoy some sort of Survival mode.