LCD vs LED vs Plasma

dlf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes it's me again. We still haven't bought a replacement TV, we still would like ideas.

* Should be cheap (less than 1200, I'd think)
* Will be used for Wii & PS3
* As both have netflix, their netflix will be used, as well as the TV.
* Blu-ray & DVD movies should be watched on it (via the PS3, or a different/old DVD player)
* ~ 46 inches
* Internet capable
* We DON'T CARE AT ALL FOR 3d
* I guess Plasma is fine, although I would still rather have a LCD or LED -
* If possible, have a network setup so we can have something streamed to the TV from a computer. Along with turn the TV on and turn on our audio equipment (which would have to get replaced as well).

* The Old recomended models were:

* Sony:

* EX700/710
* NX700
* NX800

* Samsung:

* UNB8500

* LG:

* LE8500
* LH90

THANK YOU!!

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Okay, just for basics, YOU DO NOT WANT PLASMA. They're really non-energy efficient. AND THEY GET REALLY HOT.

LCD and LED are both fine choices. The only noticeable difference between the two is that LCD is a little thicker and LED is a little thinner, so you'll wanna go with LED if you plan to mount the TV on a wall.

If you don't wanna do that, go with LCD. Just as good and half of the price.

As for brands, You could really go with any and be fine. I have one of the least-heard of brands of TV (sylvania) and it still kicks ass.

Any TV is internet capable if you plug in an internet-capable machine
tongue.gif
(definitely wii and maybe PS3)

Or you could could just get a HDMI cable if you've got a new PC and throw it into the TV. Works for me.

Ethevion

Wannabe Artist
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
Check the BestBuy website. Here in Canada there's sales on most LED TVs. Sony 46 inches going from $1099.99 to $799.99.
If you want even cheaper than that, go for Insignia. It's like $499.99.
If you want a more expensive one, Sharp Aquos. My dad bought the 50 inch one a few weeks ago. It was around $2500

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
LED > LCD

I use a good LCD screen at work and bought a new LED for home and LED is jsut so much better!

And for screens Im biased towards Samsung so... go for Samsung!

djsnb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try newegg.com for TV's and Review's. Thats what i did. I went to buy a plasma and actally got a LCD. From what i read plasma's arent good for gaming(to dark people say), but i never tryed it so im not 100%. Good luck. mines a 46in sony LCD 120Htz, no internet, got mine before internet on Tv's were an option.

dlf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This will be placed infront of a fireplace, that although doesn't get used that much may fired up IF it gets cold enough (North Eastern Texas).

As of the latest Consumer Report it seems plasma are rated cheaper & "better" than LCD. Someone on my end is adamant on plasma

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Plasmas have a tendecy to burn in, Ive seen it alot. Also if you move you need to have surgical hands to make sure you dont tip the TV otherwise its fucked, seen this aswell.

LED > LCD > Plasma imo

or wait till OLED comes along ;>

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
*insert usual line about considering projectors*

Re internet and the like- find an old P4 or something, wire it into a network and stick XBMC on it. Job done.

DEagleson

Gamer Extraordinaire
Trophies
Website
raptr.com
XP
Country
Norway
LED TVs can be big and bulky too.
Some "superior" LED TVs use RGB dynamic LEDs instead of the edge LEDs used on the slimmer TVs.

But for gaming skip Plasma TVs, because it will hase some kind of burn in.
(HUD and static loading screens.)
H**l, even TV channel icons burn in.
frown.gif

I use my big and bulky 50" LG Plasma (Cheap too) for watching movies and its superior to every low cost LCD i tried.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
@personuser (and to anyone who are bashing Plasma)
Modern technology allows Plasma to be energy efficient and less prone to screen burn-in. Now days Plasma and LCD comes really close.

@OP
Since you want cheap TV, LED is out of the question. Color from LED is more vivid than LCD. LED is also more energy efficient compare to LCD. When I say color is more vivid think of it as "white is more brighter and black is more darker". In technical, LED is a type of LCD with back-light of LED, instead of fluorescent light.

Since you are looking at 46 inches TV, I'll say go with LCD instead. Benefit from Plasma over LCD can be realize from TV over 50 inches.

Be sure to get 1080p TV, since you want to play Blu-ray.

As for the frequency, stay with 60Hz. 120 Hz, 240 Hz, 600 Hz ones are really expensive.

dlf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That one above is also on the sony style site. What are the CURRENT advantages & disadvantages to plasma? Since someone here is INSISTENT on getting one and not a LCD or LED.

dlf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If we get Plasma, are there any that can detect motion? Because i'd rather not have someone forget to turn it off and it stay on for hours and hours.

ninchya

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would recommand looking at bestbuy's Insignia Brand leds, they have warrenty and are rebranded, but made by LG tvs, Insignia = Bestbuy Brand. I picked up a new LED Insignia 19" TV, the quality is really nice, idk if there are 46".

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
led tvs are still lcd, they just have LEDs as a backlight as opposed to CCFL. if you go with led, you have to consider sound, led tvs are a lot thinner and sound tends to be very crappy because you can't fit decent speakers in them - i'm not talking crappy from an audiophile point of view... i mean crappy as in black and white tvs had way better sound back in the day.

also consider edge lighting vs full array leds.

misteromar

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
nando said:
led tvs are still lcd, they just have LEDs as a backlight as opposed to CCFL. if you go with led, you have to consider sound, led tvs are a lot thinner and sound tends to be very crappy because you can't fit decent speakers in them - i'm not talking crappy from an audiophile point of view... i mean crappy as in black and white tvs had way better sound back in the day.

also consider edge lighting vs full array leds.

This guy is right LED are still LCD its just the back light.

I would personally just look at LG or Samgsung LCD in my price range, also keep a eye for any special processing the TV's may do which might cause input lag for gaming.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Look at you holding tiny things