LaTex

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Youkai, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Youkai
    OP

Youkai Demon

Jul 1, 2004
    Germany
    Germany , NRW
    Anyone here using this ?

My new Teacher who is supposed to teach how to write a proper documentation now wants me to use this "Program" to write any kind of Documentation, needless to say that I am actually not happy about that ...

He was talking about how awesome that LaTex is for over an hour and proudly showed some of his works.
    When I told him I could probably do the same thing in Word without the need of learning this kind of "Programming language" you need for LaTex he was kind of angry and seemed to felt offended ^^V

Not sure but I guess if you know your way trough Office it doesn't really make much sense learning this, while it could be interesting to learn this one instead of Word if you haven't used either yet.

What do you think ?

2. Reiten

Reiten Member

Newcomer
    Feb 28, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Recall LaTex from my time in University. Haven't used it much since then, but mostly because I don't have to work with documents that often.

It's a nice text formatting tool and if you get used to it, you can format text a lot easier, and if memory server also more precisely, then with word or similar text editors. The downside is that you have to learn the language, which might be a hassle for the average user.

3. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    It's excellent for formatting mathmatics and other abstract formulas; while you could do a lot of it with Word it'd be a longer/messier process, and you'd also be using Word.

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    It is the de facto markup language for most of high level science, technology and computing. It is amazingly powerful and the only things I use word for nowadays are two page documents, things which came with a word template (peel off labels are a good one here) or if I just need a one page wifi password/go upstairs for the event type thing.
    To bring it back to your former trade then you just made a statement the equivalent of "I don't need a DRO, I have handles with markings".

Personally I normally use https://www.lyx.org/ which is a graphical frontend for it for all my big documents (papers, guides, project proposals, documents....) and spares me touching code most of the time, give or take heavy layout work (menus and proper posters that are not straight up images) for which I use https://www.scribus.net/ unless someone/a client used something from the adobe stable or something and wants to continue using it.