Latest R4DS Cheat Database Issues

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by mikeyt1998, Apr 7, 2009.

Apr 7, 2009
  1. mikeyt1998
    OP

Member mikeyt1998 YouTube Glitcher

United Kingdom
    downloaded the new CHEAT.DAT from 'cheats.gbatemp.net' and something isn't right at all...

seems that when i put the file into the '_system_' folder on the micro SD then put it back into the R4, only half of the cheats are showing up. some new and some older ones but theres gaps inbetween which should be there...

EG. These are all the games on my R4 currently.

Games WITH cheats:
    FFXII
    FF Tactics A2
    FFIV
    Dragon Quest IV
    My Japanese Coach
    Chrono Trigger
    My World My Way
    FFCC EoT

Games WITHOUT Cheats:
    Pokemon Pearl
    The World Ends With You
    Spectrobes - Beyond The Portals
    Pokemon Platinum

Now what's strange about it, is that there are only a few which dont work, and a few which do...

the game list you get when you download the .DAT contains all of the games listed above in the without cheats. so i dont understand why only half of them are working lol

i've tried to patch the 'DS_MENU_' using the thing from yasu but that gave he same result, sonly half the games showed cheats and my menus were all in japanese lol. the patcher i used was japanese too so i dont know exactly what i was ticking becaus everything showed up as '??????????' i downloaded the pre-patched menu too from gbatemp but that just gave me the error on startup that i have the wrong firmware language on the micro SD (i'm on a chinese R4 with english patched kernel)

so if anyone could help i'd be very happy lol

cheers [​IMG]

2. clonesniper666

Member clonesniper666 KRII LUN AUS

United States
    Use yasu's r4cce and then just hit sort by country and all your problems wiill go away unless you have some European games.

3. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    Looks like it's YSMenu time for you. It's the only way to completely solve the cheat database problems on the R4.

4. mikeyt1998
    OP

United Kingdom
    Dragon Quest IV and FF Tactics A2 are (E)

just made a discovery... DL'd the usrcheat.DAT too, put that into the '_system_' folder (removed CHEAT.DAT first) and it contains the same error...

but it says cheat(Y) too. i thought that only happened if you had cheat.dat in the folder? becuase usr_cheat.dat is just a button that you have to touch on the touch screen aint it?

explain YSMenu please [​IMG]

5. clonesniper666

Member clonesniper666 KRII LUN AUS

United States
    Depravo can definentily explain better than me but I will give it a try. Ysmenu is an alternate firmware for the r4 it is based off of the dstt firmware. It mainly fixes the cheat code bug, the arm 7 patching dilema, and has increased compatiblity for commercial roms, along with other things I suppose.. If you think you will enjoy it there is a sticky in the r4 forum on how to make it.

6. mikeyt1998
    OP

United Kingdom
    yeah i googled it and found out what it was lol

seems a bit long winded to me, but if it's my only choise i'll have to make the move i suppose [​IMG] does YSMenu still use the same directory system as the R4 or does it change? coz i dont now if i can be arsed moving all of the stuff around on my card.

is there no specific reason why these cheats arent showing when they did on the older cheat.dat i had?

it's so annoying...

7. BoGG

Newcomer BoGG Member

Canada
    I think the explanation is R4 and some other cards (like my DSTT) have a limitation on how many cheats they can gobble. Personally everytime I update my cheat listing I get the latest file from Narin's Official Cheat Database Topic and I edit the file with R4CCE to remove mostly all Jap and Euro Codes which I don't use. Never had any problems with cheats not showing up this way.

8. mikeyt1998
    OP

United Kingdom
    well i've managed to use YSMenu to change the R4 Firmware it seems to show all of the cheats [​IMG]

thanks guys [​IMG]

strange about that BoGG, YSMenu uses the DSTT firmware on an R4DS but even with the same amount of cheats i can see them all... weird that you cant XD

i'm just wondering how to find the R4DLDI.DAT now so that i can play hombrew (my emulators are what i really want [​IMG])

EDIT: done, made the R4dldi.DAT [​IMG] ahh, its so satisfying knowing you've got enough knowledge not to be classed as a n00b XD

9. greator

Member greator GBAtemp Regular

Malaysia
    OPEN the [NEW massive CHEAT compilation thread] and READ THE WHOLE 1st POST.

If you still dont understands,
    -Official R4 firmware cant read big size CHEAT.DAT
    -You have to open the CHEAT.DAT using R4CCE and delete games that you dont use. This will make the size smaller.
    -You CAN put both USRCHEAT.DAT and CHEAT.DAT in 'system' folder. In R4 game menu, there will be 2 cheat button. HOWEVER it is recommended that you only use either ONE of those.
    -YSmenu CAN read big size CHEAT.DAT
    -You can't install YSmenu just like that since its made for DSTT flash cart.
    -You have to patch it first using R4YSauto.
    -YSmenu is VERY SIMILAR to R4 but with better compatibility. The only change is the [system] folder is now [TTMENU] folder.
    -YSmenu can only use USRCHEAT.DAT. Just put them in [TTMENU] folder and you're done.

You can find all these programs in this forum (NDS section).

10. TornZero

Member TornZero GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I've got a problem with not being able to use ANY of the cheats on the CHEAT.DAT for my R4. Please don't tell me to use YSMenu unless you have a very detailed and useful explanation on how to put it on my R4because it doesn't work whenever I do it with the guide that's in the R4 DS section..

Also,
    1. I DID delete the games I won't be using to cut down on file size (That was my first theory of my problem).
    2. I DID use R4CCE to do #1.
    3. I only put CHEAT.DAT into my _SYSTEM_ folder.
    4. Needed help because my R4 won't recognize the cheat file (I think it only recognizes Cheat Code Editor-compatible files).

I have plenty of games with cheats that I added on to the .dat file that works, but some cheat lists (All the cheats for the game) don't show up. Some of the games with this problem, I can handle not having the cheats for, but the other games, I can't really do without them every once in a while.

11. nejster228

Newcomer nejster228 Newbie

United States
    where can i find the YSmenu thingy

12. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    T0rnZer0,
    what would those games that didn't show up?
    was it any PATCH game?

13. TornZero

Member TornZero GBAtemp Regular

United States
    No. They weren't patched (Maybe they were, but I edit each time I plug the SD into the comp). Every time I plug my MicroSD into the computer, I update my game codes in my cheat files so I can't get the cheats messed up. If they were patched, I would've known. The game codes never had to changed when I updated.

PS, I'm working on getting YSMenu started up, so right now, it's gonna be a few minutes.

PPS, I used YSAUTO to make the files for me, and yes, I changed the name of the zip file I downloaded so it could work correctly, but it still didn't work. If you can, please give me some instructions on used YSAUTO accurately, b/c I might've done something wrong.

PPPS, I will try using a different choice of how to install YSMenu.

14. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    T0rnZer0,
    hahaha it seems complicated but check your email please [​IMG]
    i send you something but as far as i know it works on original r4