Laptop to Hotspot?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by rockstar99, Nov 28, 2010.

Nov 28, 2010

Laptop to Hotspot? by rockstar99 at 7:59 AM (1,790 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. rockstar99
    OP

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    I have a sony vaio laptop running Windows 7.My NDS has problems with my current WPA router so is there an app that will let me use my laptop connected to the internet via internet usb as a hotspot that is WEP or no security?

2. aiRWaLKRe

Member aiRWaLKRe GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector but they discontinued it.

3. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    They discontinued it due to contractual issues with the manufacturer, BroadCom (iirc). However the idea behind that device still holds well. You can, for example, connect your laptop to the internet through ethernet and use the WiFi as an AccessPoint for your NDS to connect to (using Internet Connection Sharing). Or, if you can't use ethernet, you can get a certain type of WiFi dongle (I think it had to be reprogrammable, but I can't remember) to do the same thing.

I've got a Ninty USB WiFi, so I've never actually needed to use the above (and I can always change the secondary WiFi on my router to WEP for my NDS and PSP), although I have used the setup in reverse - connecting my Xbox 360 to my laptop through ethernet and used ICS on the WiFi to get internet on my Xbox.

4. rockstar99
    OP

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
  5. Bently

Member Bently GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    There is WEP encryption on Connectify. You just need to switch to Ad-Hoc (While connected to the internet VIA internet cable [WIERLESS SHARING WON'T WORK WITH THIS]).

Although that may not be the most correct, you may try that out and hopefully report with positive results 8D.

6. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Connectify will not work with the DS. If you have an Intel supported wireless card though, you can use the MyWiFi Technology and it will work with the DS. http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/...less/mywifi.htm

These are the supported wireless cards:
    * Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1000
    * Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200
    * Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
    * Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 + WiMAX 6250
    * Intel® Ultimate N WiFi Link 5300
    * Intel® WiFi Link 5100
    * Intel® WiFi Link 1000

To find out what wireless card your laptop has, go to the Device Manager and check under Network Adapters.