Laptop to Hotspot?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by rockstar99, Nov 28, 2010.

1. rockstar99
    OP

rockstar99 Hi

Dec 3, 2008
    Canada
    Toronto
    I have a sony vaio laptop running Windows 7.My NDS has problems with my current WPA router so is there an app that will let me use my laptop connected to the internet via internet usb as a hotspot that is WEP or no security?

2. aiRWaLKRe

aiRWaLKRe GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    Orlando
    Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector but they discontinued it.

3. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    They discontinued it due to contractual issues with the manufacturer, BroadCom (iirc). However the idea behind that device still holds well. You can, for example, connect your laptop to the internet through ethernet and use the WiFi as an AccessPoint for your NDS to connect to (using Internet Connection Sharing). Or, if you can't use ethernet, you can get a certain type of WiFi dongle (I think it had to be reprogrammable, but I can't remember) to do the same thing.

I've got a Ninty USB WiFi, so I've never actually needed to use the above (and I can always change the secondary WiFi on my router to WEP for my NDS and PSP), although I have used the setup in reverse - connecting my Xbox 360 to my laptop through ethernet and used ICS on the WiFi to get internet on my Xbox.

4. rockstar99
    OP

rockstar99 Hi

Dec 3, 2008
    Canada
    Toronto
  5. Bently

Bently GBAtemp Fan

Sep 17, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    There is WEP encryption on Connectify. You just need to switch to Ad-Hoc (While connected to the internet VIA internet cable [WIERLESS SHARING WON'T WORK WITH THIS]).

Although that may not be the most correct, you may try that out and hopefully report with positive results 8D.

6. DeMoN

DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

May 12, 2004
    United States
    Connectify will not work with the DS. If you have an Intel supported wireless card though, you can use the MyWiFi Technology and it will work with the DS. http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/...less/mywifi.htm

These are the supported wireless cards:
    * Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1000
    * Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200
    * Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
    * Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 + WiMAX 6250
    * Intel® Ultimate N WiFi Link 5300
    * Intel® WiFi Link 5100
    * Intel® WiFi Link 1000

To find out what wireless card your laptop has, go to the Device Manager and check under Network Adapters.