Laptop suitable for gaming?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by rayjay, Jan 5, 2013.

1. rayjay
    OP

rayjay GBAtemp Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    I've recently got a new HP Pavilion g6 Notebook PC and I was hoping that as it was more powerful than my old laptop, it'll be able to play all of the games i've got on steam. Unfortunately, the fan seems to produce a lot of noise whenever I try to play the more high-end pc games e.g quantum conundrum.
    Is my laptop still not powerful enough? is it another issue? or should I try not to worry so much about the noise?

2. MeowTheMouse

MeowTheMouse GBAtemp Regular

Feb 2, 2008
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Fan noise mean nothing, QC is not a high end game, but if the game is running I don't see whats the problem?

Can you please post your specs? :D

Edit:
    Nvm, just googled the specs. tbh specs are pretty bad for gaming, but I guess it will do if u want to play 30fps on lowest settings. You would obviously have more trouble running more powerful games like just cause 2.

3. Lurker2

Lurker2 Banned!

Banned
    Sep 7, 2012
    United States
    -

Rasas likes this.
  4. mocalacace

mocalacace GBAtemp Fan

Sep 28, 2008
    United States
    What kind of games are you looking to play on your laptop? and what is your budget?

5. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    "G6" is a line, you might as well say "I have a Chevy truck, is it good?"

We need to know the actual specs of the machine... but chances are no. Most laptops are not good for gaming.

6. rayjay
    OP

rayjay GBAtemp Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    It has a intel core i5-2450M cpu @ 2.5 GHz, 2501 Mhz, 2 Cores and 4 Logical Processors.

7. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    Alright that's the CPU, but what about the GPU/video? The video card is important for gaming.

8. xist

xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

Jul 14, 2008
    As far as i can see it's got integrated graphics (Intel HD 3000), which i *think* is a bit ropey for gaming in terms of newer games in high qualities.

(may be 4000, but it's still integrated...)

9. Daemauroa

Daemauroa GBAtemp Regular

May 10, 2012
    Netherlands
    I think he got a Intel HD 3000, because the HD4000 which actually aren't that bad for regular use, were introduced when the Ivy Bridge game, aka Intel 3xxx series. however, some processors from this series do still have the HD3000.

but if he hasn't any dedicated graphics card, and he is able to return the laptop, I think he should look for another laptop, something with a gt630m(? not sure about if it is powerful enough, but still a bit better than the Hd7450m I think)

or for people here on this forum :
    he probably got a HP Pavilion G6-1350SD it is the only g6 model that comes with an Intel i5 2450m , and it does have a dedicated graphic card (checked later) an hd7450m. I can't remember if this one was actually any good, if not worse than the intel Integrated graphics...

10. rayjay
    OP

rayjay GBAtemp Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Just checked my device manager and all it says under the Display adapters is Inte(R) HD Graphics Family

11. Lurker2

Lurker2 Banned!

Banned
    Sep 7, 2012
    United States
    -

Rasas likes this.
  12. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    HD 4000 is a lot better than the HD 3000, but like all IGPs, the RAM is shared, so you will get a performance hit. Get one with a dedicated GPU.

13. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    How can something be "a lot better" than itself?

14. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    If it ain't broke, I'm not trying. Look above.

15. KingBlank

KingBlank King of Nothing

Sep 17, 2008
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    Well, if you notice that your gaming performance drops during games and your fan is really loud, then download a program for monitoring you laptops heat levels, (like Coretemp, or HWINFO)(you can manually change your fan speeds with HWINFO on some laptops).
    If you notice any of your components getting temperatures above 80-90 degrees celcius then you need to get a cooling pad, or use the laptop in a well ventilated area.

If your gaming performance is bad all the time, then you prob want to get a new laptop, look for laptops with dedicated graphics (not intergrated), they should have much better performance than your current one.