BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So my friend texted me today and said her laptop screen is black. just black. So she restarted and no good. somethings wrong, but im not sure what. shes running Vista on a Sony Vaio (? i think). Any suggestions? i dont even know where to start.

EDIT: im looking around campus for a VGA cable and an external monitor. we'll see where that gets me.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
My money's on Zamo's explaination. It's a very common fault with laptops.

To find out for certain, shine a bright desk lamp or a torch onto the screen while it's turned on. If you can see a faint picture hiding in there then that will tell you that the LCD panel and the rest of the laptop is working fine, but the screen backlight behind it isn't.

If that's the case, it's a guessing game as to which part of the backlight assembly has gone, but the most common is that the inverter board that provides power to the backlight has snuffed it. Either way, it's a hardware repair job I'm afraid. If it's under warranty send it off to Sony, otherwise if you know what you're doing or know someone who does then google around for information about replacing inverter boards. Most computer repair shops charge ridiculous fees to repair laptop screens for you but that might be your only option. If doing it yourself, you'll probably have to read the part number off of the board that's in there now to find a match. The price of the part varies depending on the age of the laptop, if you can find one at all. (I couldn't find one for mine, spent 3 years running off an external monitor before I caught a cheap second hand one on EBay).

Otherwise, running off of an external monitor should work just fine. As long as portability isn't an issue you get used to it.
smile.gif

nin10do

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
this has happened to me before for two reasons:

sometimes the laptop doesn't detect that the lid is open. try closing and opening it again a few time quickly.

have you hooked up a multiple monitor to it before? try hitting the fn+monitor key a few times.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
~Kuraudo's Sword~ said:
press Fn on your keyboard along with the contrast button
tongue.gif
roflcopter

looks like i just over heated and could start up or something. we took the battery out and waited for about half an hour and went to dinner. when we got back we tried again and Viola! good as new. Thanks guys.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: loved nes remix, but hated having to play Baseball, Tennis and Golf in order to progress