laptop processor

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by noob killer, Sep 18, 2012.

Sep 18, 2012

laptop processor by noob killer at 6:01 PM (697 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. noob killer
    OP

Member noob killer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    hello there i have a NE56R13u gateway laptop and i was tring to research how to upgrade the processor but no luck finding anything i would like to make it a quad core any help would be awesome.

2. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    Short answer is that you cant upgrade it.

3. noob killer
    OP

United States
    really i was watching vids of other laptops getting a new processor

4. Daidude

Member Daidude The genius

United Kingdom
    Basically it is possible and easier to upgrade a desktop proccessor but as for a laptop very very few models allow you to upgrade the proccessor so put simply I guess you can't upgrade your laptop proccessor. :/

5. noob killer
    OP

United States
    oh ok thank you for your input, well i have a desktop that i want to upgrade but its an older comp wouldnt i need a new motherboard and all that good stuff

6. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    For a laptop, first you need a standard CPU socket to be able to upgrade. If the laptop has one, then you can upgrade to any CPU supported by the BIOS, socket, PSU and cooling system. Note the last one, as most upgrades will generate more heat, and you cannot upgrade your cooling system to be able to handle it. Also keep in mind that laptop CPUs aren't readily available on the market and you have to source them from places like eBay. They aren't cheap.

The process to do it is only a little more difficult than desktops. You have to open up your laptop, usually completely, remove the cooling system, remove the CPU, then put the new one in. Put new thermal paste on it, put the cooling back, close the laptop and hope BIOS accepts it.

In short, it's not worth it.

As for upgrading your desktop, that's much easier. Even if you don't upgrade beyond whatever generation you're in (e.g. Core 2 Duo), you can always upgrade to a higher model (e.g. Core 2 Quad) and just get an after market cooler for that socket (e.g. LGA 775) to handle the improved CPU. Maybe add more compatible RAM (e.g. DDR2) or a better graphics card (e.g. HD 6550). Also make sure your PSU can supply enough juice for the upgrades (e.g. 450W or more).

The easiest upgrade most people can do is buy a SSD and stick Windows on it (and maybe their games, though they can't fit many).

7. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Also do note that most games rely on the GPU more than the CPU (in terms of power required versus power available), so if this is for gaming even if you did it things wouldn't run much better (if at all).

1 person likes this.
  8. noob killer
    OP

United States
    i understand a little more then half this. also my pc specs really suck so like i stated wouldn't i need a new motherboard as well. and thanks for the help

9. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Without knowing what CPU and graphics card you've got, it's hard to say if you need to replace your motherboard.

Rather than saying "sucky specs", you could try and list all the details you know/can find out. Program's like CPU-Z and GPU-Z do wonders.
    My friend says that his Core i3 system with a HD 4870 graphics card sucks compared to the systems I've been building. Thing is, all he needs to do to play games on high settings is upgrade the graphics card, since the Core i3 is plenty for gaming. Even his £30 motherboard won't need replacing for a few years, and his £15 DDR3 RAM will work with all motherboards.

10. noob killer
    OP

United States
    ill check it out