Laptop not charging

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by WII_GUY, Sep 17, 2015.

1. WII_GUY
    OP

WII_GUY Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2015
    Samsung R20 laptop doesnt want to charge.

Specs:2Ghz Intel Pentium
    14.1 inch screen
    ATI Radeon something

Battery Icon at the bottom of the screen says:6% available(plugged in not charging)

help please?

2. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    Could be that the computer is using more power than available for both the charging and usage. Could also be a problem with the charger or connector to the laptop.

3. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    How long have you used your laptop? As a tech, I've come across quite some laptops of which the battery was just worn out. The laptop still worked fine on adapter (even without the battery inserted), but simply refused to add anything to the battery (until you swapped it with another one).

At least try out your laptop without the battery, as well as charging the battery without it being on. If it works without the battery, you can safely assume the adapter works fine. If it charges (from 6% to anything above) when it's turned off, Qtis's theory that the PC is draining energy faster than it can get holds true.

4. WII_GUY
    OP

WII_GUY Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2015
    I turned my laptop off and it charged!
    And for the record, I have used this little over a year, mom used about 5 years...

Qtis was right, my battery settings were set to High Performance bcause of my 1.83Ghz processor.

Thanks to both of you for helping me!

Riyaz likes this.