Laptop Fan

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Prior22, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Prior22
    OP

Prior22 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    My laptop fan has been making sporadic rather loud grinding sounds as of late. So I decided to open it up and spray some compressed near the fan. This didn't help that much.

The odd thing though is that I decided to also install a CPU temperature monitoring program. When the grinding sound begins the temperature remains at around 55 degrees. So overheating isn't the issue. What other problems could be plaguing the fan?

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Dodgy bearings are the main culprit here. Most opt to replace the fan in these situations but if you do fancy pulling it apart then you can try to get some more grease in there.

3. p1ngpong

p1ngpong Irish ex captain

Former Staff
    Apr 18, 2008
    Croatia
    DS Scene
    Fans wear out, they can also become unbalanced through muck. These things can cause fans to make loud noises as they spin. Double check that your fan is completely clear if not you may have to replace it. In general laptop fans are usually easy to replace and are inexpensive. Search ebay to see if you can find a compatible fan it will probably be your best bet to fix the problem.

raystriker and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  4. Prior22
    OP

Prior22 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    Would you recommend getting the fan and heat sink, or just the fan?

5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    A heatsink doesn't really wear out and it might be hard to find a replacement for one as they tend to be custom parts. Give it a good clean and maybe apply new thermal paste and it should be good as new.

Prior22 likes this.
  6. Essometer

Essometer GBAtemp Regular

Oct 22, 2010
    Germany
    Enger
    Had the same problem with my Lapton, just replace the fan. Heat sinks doesnt wear of

Prior22 likes this.