Laptop choice help!

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by 0927123, Dec 11, 2009.

Dec 11, 2009

Laptop choice help! by 0927123 at 5:32 AM (1,654 Views / 0 Likes) 22 replies

1. 0927123
    OP

Newcomer 0927123 Member

Canada
    help me choose.

well I have these 2 in mind.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Productcompar...e=1&bop=And

if the link did not work it's

ASUS N81 Series N81Vp-X1
    and
    ASUS G Series G51J-A1

I'm thinking of performance and portability. I don't care if the battery life is low, I'll plug it in always anyways. Don't want the overpriced alienware stuff. Considered Macbook Pros but they're coming on a refresh (can't wait, well maybe) and I need one right now for school work. Also some light gaming (maxing sims 3). Size should also range from 11" to 15.6 max.

Anymore suggestions are welcome!

2. Sao Mortel

Member Sao Mortel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    My next purchase is gonna be
    1. a ASUS EEE netbook running windows XP
    2. a Mac mini
    this duo is everything I would need with both PC and MAC
    and you got more juice than a macbook Pro for same dough

3. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    you get a lot more power with the G51J-A1, i7 quad-core and GTX260M

just put hackintosh on the netbook so you dont have to bother with apples BS prices

4. Jasper07

Member Jasper07 GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
  5. Raki

Member Raki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    If you don't care about battery life or fan noise: the i7 one. the 720qm is beating even the latest c2d/c2q mobile processors
    If you want longer battery life: the P8700 one. it's a 25W TDP Processor, so it won't drain your battery that fast

The i7 also has a FullHD (1980*1080) screen, which is really nice to work with, but there are people with bad eyes which think this resolution is too high for a 15 incher. so maybe look at this one in a store first?

But if you don't really need it now: Wait! Intel is about to release arrandale. those are dual core nehalem processors with lower TDPs than the current mobile i7s

6. 0927123
    OP

Newcomer 0927123 Member

Canada
    like until when do I have to wait? Also the fan noise, is it that loud? Is it also a hassle to put a 15.6 vs 14" laptop on a backpack and go to university everyday?

Posts merged

umm yeah people I don't care about your specs. Stop hijacking the thread! Thank You.

7. Dark Blade

Member Dark Blade Flippin' Insane

United Kingdom
    Get a Macbook Air! Awesome and light

8. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    lo isnt that a bit too expensive [​IMG]

9. 0927123
    OP

Newcomer 0927123 Member

Canada
    yes it is pretty expensive. I've given macs a thought for some time and came up that I can get better spec'd laptops for the same price, even lower. Like Asus for example. I have a classmate that's been using his Asus laptop for 3-4 years and it still works. Nways, I need to max out sims 3 that is my little benchmark for my laptop choice. Also to use adobe products smoothly and film editing software(vegas,premiere).

10. Raki

Germany
    The new processors are about to release in january...so I guess most manufacturers will use them in late january/february

at least in the Dell Studio 15 the i7 gives a significant boost in fan noise vs. the core2duo versions

although, if you're doing a lot of video editing a strong processor is necessary if you get into the professional range. despite this, if you're taking it with you everyday you might consider a subnotebook.

BTW: I have a Asus laptop aswell, which was repaired now for the 3rd time within the first year of ownership...so I cannot say this is good quality...

I would suggest you to look at better quality stuff like Thinkpads...sturdy, but expensive

11. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Movie editing usually requires a strong processor, which laptops can lack. You will be paying a premium to get anything near that privelage on a laptop.
    Have you thought about getting a decent spec desktop for movie editing and then a netbook for mobility purposes?

12. 0927123
    OP

Newcomer 0927123 Member

Canada
    i really want to get rid of my really old desktop system and I don't want the clunkiness of a desktop anymore. Anymore suggestions on portable power laptops? Nways thanks guys for the response, this is so much better than yahoo answers!

13. Sao Mortel

Member Sao Mortel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Where is Hackintosh VS. a MAC? I am thinking of compatibility problems and a lot of fiddling here. right or wrong?

14. Raki

Germany
    netbooks are quite well supported since they are very similar. normal notebooks are avaible in such a variety, so that most of them aren't supported very well and it's a lot of fiddling

15. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    I have a 15.6" now
    not that much of a hassle, I wouldnt put it into a back pack though
    I just have a laptop bag thats gives it the proper protection

16. 0927123
    OP

Newcomer 0927123 Member

Canada
    joe what laptop do you use right now? yeah pretty expensive mac air it's like wafer ready to snap any time -_-

17. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
  18. 0927123
    OP

Newcomer 0927123 Member

Canada
    it's been a while. well hmm still I don't have a laptop. I'm looking now for some good build quality laptops like it can last for at least 3-4 years and some laptops that run cool on intensive work load. Any laptop like that? either one is okay. both is better haha

19. Raki

Germany
    go for a thinkpad - afaik their cooling is quite good as well, but they are more expensive than a average laptop...

20. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    there geared towards business rather then entertainment, gaming, or other stuff as big blue has always been about or I should say lenovo now