Misc Laptop as hotspot

sfg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

So I've followed the CNET tutorial on how to turn your laptop into a wi-fi hotspot and after disabling the firewall my DS Lite sees it however it fails to connect with a 51300 error code. What could be the problem?

I tried this with the Opera browser in case it matters.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Have a look here. See if anything here helps.
smile.gif

sfg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I'm not sure I understand how the WEP key works.

Do I have to enter on my DS the same thing I entered on my laptop? Say I enter 12345 as the network key on my laptop that's the same thing I have to enter on my DS? That's what I did and it doesn't work.
I assume that's not what I have to do since on my laptop the number of characters for the key changes to eight whether I enter a 5 characters or 10 characters key.

Also, should I check "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network"?
Does it matter what it's selected in the advanced section, the one with "Any available network, access point, computer to computer etc."?
Any other settings I should be aware of?

ProtoKun7

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Try running the access point without encryption, to see if you can connect at all. The wireless connection should be 802.11b compatible.

I assume the computer is running as an access point and isn't scanning for other access points?
When you mention the advanced section, select 'access point' and try it from there.

If it doesn't work, would you be able to upload some screenshots?

sfg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, now I must have did something wrong because I can't get the DS to see the connection anymore. It just says "The access points's security settings are not supported by the Nintendo DS.... "

QUOTE said:
I assume the computer is running as an access point and isn't scanning for other access points?

How can I check or change this?

QUOTEIf it doesn't work, would you be able to upload some screenshots?

conn1.jpg

conn2.jpg

If you need screenshots of anything else let me know.

ProtoKun7

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is anything else using this connection? If not, it might be worth taking it to default. Before that though, try turning all encryption off and trying again.

Might be good to see the other tabs on the right too.

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The cnet tutorial tells you to use an Ad-Hoc network, which the DS does not support. For a DS connection to work, it must be a client to an access point, so unless your laptop Wireless NIC supports Soft-AP mode, you are destined to fail.

killeryunran

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
CrimsoniteX said:
If you have Windows 7, there is a program that does this very easily. It's free for now too (while it is in beta):
http://connectify.me/

THANK YOU SOOO VERY MUCH!
I've been looking for something like this. Another thing Nintendo can't overcome.
Hacker's who support people like me, who support Nintendo with a one time buying
gbasp.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @NinStar I like it gentle, then rough, then gentle again. Then I nap. +1