OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.dennisvanzwieten.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
This homebrew is an adaptation of the boardgame Labyrinth. Seeing as the official Labyrinth DS game ruins the game for me by messing with the board setup (and adding an unnecessary storyline), I created a version that's more true to the original.

Gameplay in a nutshell:
Reach the treasure you're aiming for by moving horizontal or vertical strips of the labyrinth, creating new paths. Be the first to find all your treasures and return to your starting point to win.
Details are explained in the interactive 'How to play' menu.

Screenies:
Labyrinth_screenie.png

Download:
Labyrinth.nds

To change a player to AI and back, tap the player's icon in the main menu.

Updates v 110817:
- updated libnds
- sped up pathfinder demo
- added simple player AI

Updates v 110726:
- Flickering has been fixed

Known bugs:
- Rotated sprites don't look as good as non-rotated sprites
- While the AI is 'thinking', screen may flicker

Todo:
- wireless multiplayer!
- improve AI
- implement additional game rules
- Custom board layouts (currently only uses original static board layout)
- Fancy 3D graphics

Questions/comments/suggestions welcome!

PS: As a 'fun' bonus, it includes a simple pathfinder demo. Press select at the title screen to access it. I included this for testing purposes, and haven't bothered to take it out.
PPS: It is possible to run into the 'debug menu' by pressing certain buttons. Don't mess with the values in the 'MAIN' section ('GAME' section is fine), since it will likely mess up your game.

glysegui

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
FUCKING EPIC BRO.

lol, this was my favorite childhood game. You should totally like, if possible of course, add multiplayer functionality. I'd love to dig this shit out with my friends.

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...wait, wasn't there a commercial adaption of this game? I don't think I ever tried it, but...

smealum

growing up sucks.
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
RoyalCardMan said:
Ruri said:
...wait, wasn't there a commercial adaption of this game? I don't think I ever tried it, but...
Well what's wrong with making another adaption(if there is another commercial one).

Maybe you guys should have read the first post.
QUOTE(Schmendrick @ Jul 25 2011, 12:23 AM)
Seeing as the official Labyrinth DS game ruins the game for me by messing with the board setup (and adding an unnecessary storyline), I created a version that's more true to the original.
Anyway, looks nice Schmendrick, good luck for what's to come.
smile.gif

Schmendrick

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.dennisvanzwieten.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks for the positive replies, everyone.
In addition to the list in the first post, I may add an option to change the game rules (such as finishing your turn when you get a treasure, undoing a previous player's board alteration, etc, anything people on here can think of).

glysegui said:
You should totally like, if possible of course, add multiplayer functionality
It already has multiplayer, but I suppose you mean multi-DS multiplayer. Like my other game, I really need to have a bug-free multiplayer library for both wifi and nifi. For now, I haven't found anything I could use. As soon as I do, I'll work on adding multiplayer to both games.

And yes, there is a commercial game based on the original. The main problem I had with that was that the board was 6x6 tiles, instead of the original 7x7 setup. This means that instead of having 3 rows and columns to move, there were 4; the only 'static' rows and columns are the edges. Compare the following (#: static, O: loose):
CODEOriginalÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂOfficial DS adaptation

# O # O # O #ÂÂÂÂÂÂ# O O O O #
O O O O O O OÂÂÂÂÂÂO O O O O O
# O # O # O #ÂÂÂÂÂÂO O O O O O
O O O O O O OÂÂÂÂÂÂO O O O O O
# O # O # O #ÂÂÂÂÂÂO O O O O O
O O O O O O OÂÂÂÂÂÂ# O O O O #
# O # O # O #
As you can see, they are completely different. Even the online versions featured on the Ravensburger site are completely different from the original in several ways. Add a ridiculous and unnecessary storyline, needless graphic swaps and ugly characters, and I pretty much lost all interest.

Schaapje82

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nice, I'm gonna try this one. I haven't tried the official game, but from what's in your posts I understand that it's different than the boardgame. Thanks for creating this "De betoverde doolhof" game!

Schmendrick

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.dennisvanzwieten.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
GammaGeorgeX said:
This doesn't use link for multiplayer does it?
For now it only uses 'hot seat' multiplayer, meaning local multiplayer on a single unit. Just pass the DS to the next player when it tells you to. In the future I'll try to add wireless multiplayer as well.

QUOTE(relminator @ Jul 26 2011, 04:29 AM) Hey, looks good buddy.

I thought "we fixed the flickering" already? Didn't you implement it?
Hey rel, thanks again for the help. I had looked into your example and didn't notice any differences, mainly because they weren't there. After going through the initialization and drawing code a thousand times, I realized that the problem was that I used the same frame counter to calculate fps (well, updates per second, anyway), and set it to 0 every second. This means that more often than not, it would go from 60 to 0, doubling up the 'top' frames once a second, which of course causes a flicker. This has now been fixed, and the download link has been updated. See first post! Next update will include either AI players or local wireless multiplayer (or both, depending).

Schmendrick

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.dennisvanzwieten.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
New update! See first post for download link.

Updates v 110817:
- updated libnds
- fixed flickering
- sped up pathfinder demo
- added simple player AI

Todo:
- wireless multiplayer!
- improve AI
- implement additional game rules

Known bugs:
- While the AI is 'thinking', screen may flicker

To change a player to AI and back, tap the player's icon in the main menu.

Concerning the AI flickering:
Apparently it's too much to ask to perform even a single pathfinder request in combination with a bunch of memory copying and modifying.. As of now, the only fix I can think of is to choose between a series of fast flickering frames, or a single flicker caused by a few frame drops. I'll be looking into more optimizations. For now, enjoy!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)