Gaming L+R Button Defects? Are these common?

caribou007

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a brand new DS Lite and the spring on the R button feels much weaker than the spring on the L, and it feels like it travels a greater distance before it clicks. I spoke to a very kind Nintendo representative who made a special repair order to have the springs and actuators replaced so that I wouldn't have to replace the whole system, on which I had already installed a Zagg Invisible Shield and genuine Hori Screen Guards. Unfortunately, I just got the system back, and while the repair order file says they performed the replacement of those parts, the L+R buttons still seem to have the same problem.

Do many people have this problem with their L+R buttons? I find it very strange that the new parts seem to exhibit the exact same problem, it's very noticible and actually very distracting when trying to use the buttons.

P.S: The Nintendo representative was very kind and offered to try having the system repaired once again, which is completely awesome.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This really isn't something unordinary and I don't see a point in sending the console for repairs unless the difference is *massive*. Parts like theses have a degree of tolerance, not a pre-set firmness or however you'd call it.

yokomoko

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I suggest you have Nintendo repair the buttons again, while you're still under warranty. I had the exact same problem with my DS Lite, only the problem progresively got worse and worse until the R button no longer functioned at all! It really sucked and I never use my DS Lite any more since the R button is vital to so many games. Anyway, I wanted to get my R button repaired by Nintendo, only since the warranty was expired they wanted the sum of $80! For any expired warranty DS repair Nintendo charges $80, which is so ridiculous that you might as well buy a brand new DS at that point. My DS Lite was less than a year old at the time I started having real trouble with the R button, on the other hand I have a phat DS that's 3 years old and works fine. I've read about many people having problems with the DS Lite shoulder buttons, and I haven't read much at all about people having problems with the original DS's shoulder buttons, so I think the Lite may have a design flaw in this area. My DS Lite's R button is completely unresponsive now, and the L button was screwing up too before I just gave up on the system. Having a broken DS Lite in less than a year really left a bitter taste in my mouth, I really think you should try and have it repaired before it gets worse and your warranty expires.

edit: Blowing on the buttons worked for a few days but soon quit working.

Redhorse

Warehouse 13 Curator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have repaired several shoulder buttons on DS lites and replaced or changed cases for those watning different colors, screens when broken etc.... (NOT spamming work here..) When putting it back together, the springs on the shoudler buttons where the thing that game me the greatest trouble, I learned they can be left out with no ill affect to the gameingexcept personal prefered sensation. What does matter is the button travel once it makes contact with the inner switch.
Often buttons stop working because of Dust and respond to canned air. Blowing into them is a bad idea as it distributes saliva on the inner workings/board and eventually destroys it as it is very corrosive.

Sometimes the point of where the switch meets the mother board (two thin clips) become bent and change the travel distance on the switch, in this case it will still work but only with heavy force. Which ironically is often what causes this problem at the first place. Eventually it stops working altogether until the buttons are replaced (@ $50. USD per switch of paid in cash. that is to repalce it not the cost of it, which is very cheap.

The third and more frequent problem is the switch stops working (reason unknown) altogether. Anything in electronics that moves, will eventually wear out... faster when not handled delicately. GANKING down on switches (mario slides etc...) causes rapid wear and tear.

You can do it yourself (re soilder switch) but it's super tiny and a major pain in the arse. Some on Ebay used to offer solder services at a reasonable price, recent times have no idea. But yes, when the shoulder buttons are man-handled, they wear out quickly.

loco365

Trophies
XP
I have this defect, except blowing air in the buttons doesn't do a bloody thing.
It depends on the DS Lite tnh, In some of them it works, in others it doesn't.
What about those sold in March of 2009? I know the exact date I got mine because I had gotten Pokemon Platinum on release day and my old Phat DS had died, so I bought a lite that evening to continue playing.

Edit: Blowing in the buttons does work a little, but at a sacrifice: My top screen blanks out due to the moisture in my breath.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have this defect, except blowing air in the buttons doesn't do a bloody thing.
It depends on the DS Lite tnh, In some of them it works, in others it doesn't.
What about those sold in March of 2009? I know the exact date I got mine because I had gotten Pokemon Platinum on release day and my old Phat DS had died, so I bought a lite that evening to continue playing.

Edit: Blowing in the buttons does work a little, but at a sacrifice: My top screen blanks out due to the moisture in my breath.
Well I did have one from kauch (White NDS lite). Never got fixed for the L+R. Got the red and black one later, And it did get fixed by blowing on it.

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I have a similar problem. The R button requires more force to get accepted as being pushed, and even the lightest of pressure being taken away causes it to become unresponsive, even if I've got it pressed down as much as the L button. Blowing into the crack between the R button and the rest of the system seems to fix it, even if it's temporary.

Click This

Surgite!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ended up putting scotch tape on the actual button on the PCB because nothing I did short of soldering a new one onto the DS Lite worked.
A single piece of scotch tape folded over did the trick for me, if you want to risk voiding the warranty by opening up your DS.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Qxinr.png

Reactions: 1 person

Click This

Surgite!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ended up putting scotch tape on the actual button on the PCB because nothing I did short of soldering a new one onto the DS Lite worked.
A single piece of scotch tape folded over did the trick for me, if you want to risk voiding the warranty by opening up your DS.

My comment came back to bite me in the ass in just a few hours... My R button completely broke. IE. Opened it up, pressed the button while playing a game to test, no response. I hate soldering. :(

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Had/have the problem with my DSL. Sent it to Nintendo to be fixed (within warranty) and they worked for about 2 weeks after each. The I got compressed air and opened the whole case aat the same time. Works wonders now (DSiXL and 3DS going strong still, but they've received a lot less love than the old DSL :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://gbatemp.net/profile-posts/163064/