L.A. Noire - Are you getting it?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by R2DJ, May 16, 2011.

?

Which console are you getting it on?

1. PS3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 360

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Both (really?)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Neither (REALLY?)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
May 16, 2011

L.A. Noire - Are you getting it? by R2DJ at 1:14 AM (1,084 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. R2DJ
    OP

Member R2DJ GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    So L.A. Noire is just around the corner. I literally haven't heard anything about the game until a month ago! The only details I've heard about this game are that: Rockstar's involved, it's a sandbox game and something about a 2000-page script. I'm not gonna go any further and I'll just surprise myself (like with Portal 2, where they kinda spilled some details at E3 like the first 10 minutes of the game so I'm glad I never looked up Portal 2 details until it came out). The Guardian gave it a 10. Not really my most reliable source and I don't rely on one review to warrant a purchase, but that's saying something!

So yeah, vote and discuss! [​IMG]

2. myuusmeow

Member myuusmeow GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Bought it yesterday for the 360.

It's really good, really reminds me of Phoenix Wright, but often the line between doubt and lie is extremely fine.

EG:

Earlier you find a man's glasses that are old and hand repaired.
    You talk to his wife and she says they are new, just bought.
    I press Lie, and present the evidence (the old glasses)
    She gets offended and I can't talk to her anymore.

Also, sometimes some characters eyes don't move (not talking about blinking, talking about looking) this makes them look extremely unhuman. They can have the best facial animation in a game ever but if they look like zombies staring into space, that's unacceptable.

Most actors in this game really really over act, but I can get over that.

Other than some small nitpicks the game is great.

3. 4-leaf-clover

Member 4-leaf-clover SHSL LUCKSTER :/

Netherlands
    buying it tomorrow

at a local gamestore i can get it for 40 euros if i trade 2 x360 games [​IMG]

4. Nollog

Member Nollog GBAtemp Addict

Ireland
    Getting it on PC.
    ...in about 20 years.

5. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    Not interested, it's over hyped just cause it's made by Rockstar. [​IMG]

6. muckers

Member muckers GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    It's more the new facial recognition tech used in the animation than that, but the fact it's made by Rockstar is being totally exploited by marketing teams to try and sell it to people who's gaming knowledge doesn't go beyond GTA and FIFA.

7. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    i don't like crime solving type games, they bore me.

8. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    If somebody purchases a PS3 or 360 for me, I'll be getting it.

9. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    what does FIFA have to do with anything?
    rockstar seems to hit another home run this year with this game, this time last year they did it with rdr also

10. Goli

Member Goli RPG

Chile
    Am I getting it? Well I already did.
    I wanted to get it since it reminded me of Heavy Rain which I absolutely adored... But this game doesn't actually have much in common with Heavy Rain.
    At first I was like "OMG THIS GAME IS AWESOME" but now I'm like "It's a good game.".
    Most of the cases feel way too similar (though it's kind of understandable in the Homicide desk ones for example), and a lot of times I've felt like they dragged. The facial recognition supposedly is very important since when questioning people you're supposed to tell whether or not they're telling the truth. Which would be fine were it not for the fact that a lot of times their faces don't say much, and that the whole questioning system sucks. However, I think the chases both on foot and on wheels, the whole city exploration and the random(?) street crimes make up for those faults. In fact I'd probably enjoy the game a lot more if the questioning segments were taken out and built into one big cutscene and the rest played out like the street crimes. But then again most people hate games with too many cutscenes so that wouldn't work out.
    I'm currently at the second Vice case, hopefully it improves from now on!
    EDIT: Also, the city is so freaking huge. A while ago I got a street crime taking place near the central police station, which is like, on the other side of the map when you're on the Hollywood police station, which is where I was, took like 20 minutes to get there. And I was using the siren to get there quicker.

11. Nujui

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    I'm still wondering if I should get the ps3 or xbox version. Depends on if I want to use multi disc or not.

12. DjoeN

Member DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Belgium
    Yeah that annoys me to,
    like that murder outside the shoe store, you go in talk to the lady, you ask the wrong question, BAM, she wan't talk to you anymore

13. myuusmeow

United States
    Let your partner drive by holding Y (or I am assuming Triangle) to get into a car instead of just tapping Y/Triangle. This will skip the trip to near the objective.

14. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    I dunno. I don't want the game that bad. Maybe I'll get it sometime after the 360 is dead.

15. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    I like Crime/Case games but not the L.A Noire kind -it's all about graphics, I like the Ace Attorney and Crime Scene type of mystery games, those have real depth IMO.

16. Goli

Member Goli RPG

Chile
    I was actually saying that as something in favor of the game. I don't like to do that since I like to explore it and see if I find film reels or landmarks or whatever.

17. myuusmeow

United States
    I guess you also risk missing out on some dialog between you and your partner too. I'll probably end up driving everywhere just so the game lasts longer too.