Korean Common key released

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Dack, Sep 13, 2008.

Sep 13, 2008

Korean Common key released by Dack at 11:47 PM (2,047 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. Dack
    OP

Member Dack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Latest posting on hackmii.
    http://hackmii.com/2008/09/korean-wii/#more-143

Bushing has got his hands on a Korean Wii dump and extracted the common key.

This key is different to the one every other countries Wii uses and meant ISO images could not be investigated.

The result of this release is that Korean discs can now be manipulated by applications such as Trucha and Wiiscrubber.

2. WB3000

Member WB3000 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    So, I see that he posted the key itself in the post. I was assuming that it was like the previous key release, and that it was illegal to spread it around? Is this still the case?

3. Dack
    OP

Member Dack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    It's a funny kind of rule I believe. The normal common key is posted in one of his other bloggings.

What it seems to be is that in the USA, with the DMCA, the key is classified as part of the circumvention device for the protection. In other words if you distributed it on an American based site then you would be in contravention of the DMCA.

Outside US those rules would not apply but other local rules might.

That's why people tend not to post it as a lot of sites are hosted on US servers and so would fall under the DMCA juristiction.

What I believe anyways, probably wrong, and I'm sure 100 internet lawyers will decend at any moment and correct me [​IMG]