Kony 2012. *Please Watch*

cod4r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad you posted this here and I logged in just to leave this comment.

For anyone who doesn't want to watch it because of the length: congratulations, your priorities are in order!
Your homework, video games, relationships, and financial issues are much more important than an informational video you haven't even taken 5-10 minutes to watch.

For those who have taken the time to watch it all the way through, I heavily recommend you share it with everyone you know. It's not about jumping the bandwagon, it's about raising awareness. The time is NOW to act, otherwise we are no better than those who stood by while the holocaust happened because they thought it was an exaggeration. This video is not exaggerating, it's happening right now and the sooner it stops, the sooner the world can learn to overlook their differences and come together as a global community.

I apologize for the urgent tone of this post but it is amazing to me that nobody has commented on this...

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I hope me posting here will get more views in this thread.

I don't normally get wrapped up in stuff like this but it's what, 31mins to watch and share this.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I haven't watched it yet, but a friend told me about it earlier and I am planning on watching later and I'm pretty sure I am behind this completely.

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
I do agree stopping Kony is a good thing and all, but it seems the whole thing isn't really as good as it sounds, here are some alternative views:

http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/
http://animalist.tum...ldren-worth-the

Not sure how valid either side's assertions are, but its still worth it to watch the video, at the very least for awareness purposes. I'm not going to support the movement, but its still generally for a good cause. Kony should be trialed in the International Criminal Court regardless whether this movement would actually help Ugandans.

Reactions: 5 people

OdinOmega

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
All hail the internet. Without it, the USA's government would still not care.
You all should share it on Facebook or Twitter ASAP to spread it.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope me posting here will get more views in this thread.

I don't normally get wrapped up in stuff like this but it's what, 31mins to watch and share this.

I hope people take the time to watch this. We always say, "We want our government to listen." or "We're just one voice that can't be heard." and the like, well... now's your chance to be heard. Even one voice can make a difference.

They pray for help each day. So why not take time out of your schedule to help?

If we can take the time to browse the temp, then we can take the time to possibly help save some lives.

EDIT: Just saw Dom's post. Well balls.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I can't quite watch this video, I'm in school. I'd like to know what it's about though. Can someone post a small summary?

Basically, there is this guy in Uganda called Joseph Kong who runs the "Lord's Resistance Army" (he thinks he is acting on Christian values apparently - clearly not the case.) This "army" abduct children in Uganda and make the boys into child soldiers and the girls into prostitutes. Obviously these are horrible crimes against humanity. The video is trying to get enough awareness to make governments take notice and bring this man to justice. I have also not yet watched the video but I was told about it and already had a little knowledge of the LEA from the movie "Machine gun preacher".

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have now watched the video. There are some very powerful moments in it, showing the sheer brutality of Kony's actions and their impact on the people of Uganda. It is truly horrific what this man has done and he needs to be brought to justice.

For anyone who hasn't seen the video: The creator of the video went to Uganda and met a child there who had been abducted but had escaped. (The boy at one point told the camera it would be better if he was killed, even now that he had escaped - just shows how terrible the situation is). He came home and formed an organisation (I won't call them a charity, but I'l get onto that in a minute) called "Invisible Children". They went to the US government and tried to get them to do something - they did nothing. So they raised some awareness through social media etc., and went back with a group of young people - this time the government had to take notice. Obama wrote a letter to the organisation telling them he was dispatching some advisers (I think it was about 100) to help the Ugandan army capture Kony. To date, they still have not succeeded in this goal.

Invisible Children have now made this video (which in the 48 hours or so it has been online has got over 4 million views) they want to spread virally to raise awareness, so that people will pressure the governments of the world into putting more resources into the matter. The climax of the plan is April 20th; on this date, they want everyone who has watched the video to cover their local city with posters (this will take place overnight, so that the rest of the world will wake up to a covered city). The idea is to make Kony "famous" - i.e. raise awareness about what he has done. The idea is that once enough people know, it will be impossible for governments not to do something about it.

While I admire the goal of bringing Kony to justice, and this campaign, I do not support Invisible Children, for the reasons pointed out in the first link Domination posted (haven't read the second yet, but will do in a minute). They only actually use 30% of the money donated to them for actually helping people. Not even almost acceptable IMO. They use more money for creating their videos (this is the 11th they've made apparently) than for helping people. That's just not right.

Reactions: 6 people

cod4r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They only actually use 30% of the money donated to them for actually helping people. Not even almost acceptable IMO. They use more money for creating their videos (this is the 11th they've made apparently) than for helping people. That's just not right.
Raising awareness professionally costs money. Organizations have to appeal to people's interests in order to push aside their apathy and get them to pay attention.

We have positive emotions and negative emotions and allocate those feelings to different things. A lot of people have this view of the world that it is full of ignorance, apathy, and hatred so they tend to integrate those negative concepts in themselves and end up contributing to a chain reaction by affecting the people around them. Meanwhile, their positive feelings are overemphasized in their interests, such as sports, technology, and art. These interests are what videos try to build a bridge across in order to raise awareness. Did you notice the aesthetic quality of the video? We can appreciate beauty and this video is an example of appealing to our senses to get us to do something.

Besides, raising awareness does have a positive effect despite all the money you have to spend on it. The donations (goods) and volunteer work (services) end up returning more than what was spent. It's economics. Money is just money anyway, are our economic problems more important than our safety?

You don't have to support the organization itself but you should at least support the concept of stopping this guy and you can do that by informing people. Just because you promote a video doesn't mean you're supporting the organization, you can be promoting the video for the sole purpose of supporting the idea. I do not really see any organizations besides Invisible Children making as much noise about it.

In addition, people complain that more money is being spent on transportation and videos rather than direct 'action'. How exactly are they supposed to directly act to stop Kony? Hire several thousand mercenaries? No, I don't think so. We have militaries but we can't tell them what to do, only the governments can. That's the reason we're raising awareness, to put pressure on the government.

pokefloote

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, this made me laugh.

But seriously, the idea behind invisible children is good. 30% of the donations going to actually help Uganda? Bad.
Regardless, we should spread the awareness. It can't ever be fixed if we don't pressure the government. Africa isn't going to save themselves.

D

Deleted_171835

Regardless, we should spread the awareness. It can't ever be fixed if we don't pressure the government. Africa isn't going to save themselves.
And I'm not exactly sure sending over the US military to intervene with yet another war (eliminating Saddam and the Iraq War, anyone?) is the best idea. Eliminating Kony won't be the ultimate fix to all of the problems in Africa. While his capture/death is a good step towards it, there's much more that needs to be done.

So the whole Kony thing is complete Bullshit? Sure smells like it.
Your nose is broken. The controversy is regarding the campaign and where the money is actually going to, not Kony himself. He is a heinous war criminal.

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Your nose is broken. The controversy is regarding the campaign and where the money is actually going to, not Kony himself. He is a heinous war criminal.

So my nose was right on then. You assumed I was talking about Kony himself when I meant the movement. You spoony bard.

D

Deleted_171835

So my nose was right on then. You assumed I was talking about Kony himself when I meant the movement. You spoony bard.
Well that depends on where you stand on the issue. Calling it "complete bullshit" is a bit rash.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
    S @ salazarcosplay: and good morning everyone +1