Kojima’s Project Ogre will tackle “delicate, taboo” issues

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
“The game I’m working on right now is dealing with quite a few issues that are pretty delicate and taboo,” Kojima said in a Q&A session, as transcribed by Shack News.

“I’m not sure if they’ll end up being in the final product or not, but that’s something that I want to continue to strive for.”

“The way the player interacts with [Wii U] is very different than any other device out there. So if I were to make a game for the Wii U, it would have to be a unique game," he explained.

"I don't want any misconceptions that [the Fox Engine] is specific to a certain hardware platform, because it’s not. The way we envision it, it’s more this platform that isn’t mounted to a particular hardware.”
http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/20/kojimas-project-ogre-will-tackle-delicate-and-taboo-issues/

More at source.

MEGAMANTROTSKY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kojima actually wants to tackle "real world issues"? This might be interesting to see. I just hope that he doesn't muddy it up with the plot devices that he used in the Metal Gear series. I've never gotten over the existence of "Solidus".

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Kojima actually wants to tackle "real world issues"? This might be interesting to see. I just hope that he doesn't muddy it up with the plot devices that he used in the Metal Gear series. I've never gotten over the existence of "Solidus".
Because the issues of Cold War, nuclear deterrence and the question of identity are not real-life issues that were relevant, especially when the series begun. Also, solidus is an actual chemistry term, refering to the locust of temperature between solid and liquid state. See the connection?

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I like it that he takes the Wii U seriously. He doesn't want to throw a port on there with a few extra features, he'd rather build something around the system its self. Good attitude.

That said oh god this better not be another MGS2

D

Deleted_171835

“The way the player interacts with [Wii U] is very different than any other device out there. So if I were to make a game for the Wii U, it would have to be a unique game," he explained.
Is this the new excuse now?

The Wii U has a standard controller with a touch-screen. There's no reason not to bring it.

MEGAMANTROTSKY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because the issues of Cold War, nuclear deterrence and the question of identity are not real-life issues that were relevant, especially when the series begun. Also, solidus is an actual chemistry term, refering to the locust of temperature between solid and liquid state. See the connection?
You know, you could have at least looked up a definition of "plot device" before jumping down my throat: http://en.wikipedia....iki/Plot_device

A plot device is an object or character in a story whose sole purpose is to advance the plot of the story, or alternatively to overcome some difficulty in the plot.[1]

A contrived or arbitrary plot device may annoy or confuse the reader,causing a loss of the suspension of disbelief. However a well-crafted plot device, or one that emerges naturally from the setting or characters of the story, may be entirely accepted, or may even be unnoticed by the audience.

In my opinion, Solidus is an example of a half-assed plot device. I don't care where he lies in spectrum of temperature, Kojima took the clone subplot too far. Solidus left little impact and his existence felt like a cop out. This is not to mention the inclusion of Raidan. Liquid controlling Ocelot with his arm is another. It borders on ludicrous, and it was hard to take the game seriously. Anyway, that is what I was referring to, and I apologize for the misunderstanding.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like it that he takes the Wii U seriously. He doesn't want to throw a port on there with a few extra features, he'd rather build something around the system its self. Good attitude.

Is this the new excuse now?
I've thought of both of these and left me wondering, should I be pessimistic or optimistic about that comment...

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

For the record, when telling their friends about the history of Metal Gear Solid to a friend, most Metal Gear Solid fans say Metal Gear Solid, have a large cough, and then say Metal Gear Solid 3.

I think Kojima was trying to sink the franchise more than the Big Shell but people still fucking loved it so he was forced to make Metal Gear Solid 3. My theory continues by Kojima realizing that Metal Gear Solid 3 could be his swan song (good things come in threes, right?) by putting all his effort into making a game with deep mechanics and incredible storytelling. Then they said "METAL GEAR SOLID 4 OR WE'LL KILL YOUR FAMILY" and Kojima went "well fuck".

MEGAMANTROTSKY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

For the record, when telling their friends about the history of Metal Gear Solid to a friend, most Metal Gear Solid fans say Metal Gear Solid, have a large cough, and then say Metal Gear Solid 3.

I think Kojima was trying to sink the franchise more than the Big Shell but people still fucking loved it so he was forced to make Metal Gear Solid 3. My theory continues by Kojima realizing that Metal Gear Solid 3 could be his swan song (good things come in threes, right?) by putting all his effort into making a game with deep mechanics and incredible storytelling. Then they said "METAL GEAR SOLID 4 OR WE'LL KILL YOUR FAMILY" and Kojima went "well fuck".
I guess I didn't understand that. I didn't think there would be any ambiguity with using the "Metal Gear series" as a catch all term for the franchise. Granted, I've only played Solid 1 (Gamecube) and 2 (PC), but I at least knew that the MSX games were part of the continuity. As for your theory, I suspect you're largely right. I'm hoping that this Ogre project will help his growth as a game director, and that he won't only be well known for one franchise.

I said "well known", so Policenauts and Snatcher is not applicable.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess I didn't understand that. I didn't think there would be any ambiguity with using the "Metal Gear series" as a catch all term for the franchise. Granted, I've only played Solid 1 (Gamecube) and 2 (PC), but I at least knew that the MSX games were part of the continuity. As for your theory, I suspect you're largely right. I'm hoping that this Ogre project will help his growth as a game director, and that he won't only be well known for one franchise.

I said "well known", so Policenauts and Snatcher is not applicable.

Well MGS2 was awesome when it came out since it was a rather good update, mechanics wise, of the original Metal Gear Solid. It added first person aiming and some rather cutting edge graphics when it was released. Everyone hated that they replaced Snake as the protagonist, and that protagonist was a lame whiny son of a bitch until Metal Gear Solid 4 at least made him cool.

I definitely suggest Metal Gear Solid 3 though, it has a lot of great themes, like patriotism, loyalty, betrayal, and nature vs. nurture. Gameplay was also made infinitely deep, almost frustratingly so. There's so many things you can do in that game that it's mind boggling. From all the different CQC techniques to camoflauge to weapons, it's what many will say is the best Metal Gear game and possibly even the best game period.

Sappoide

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
For me every Metal Gear Solid game is a masterpiece but I agree with Guild McCommunist: MGS3 remains the best of all, everything is great in it: setting, plot, gameplay, characters, everything. Metal Gear Solid on ps1 still has it's charm, I would play it over and over. The fourth chapter is the great conclusion of the series and I think it should not have a sequel.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: ssssey ioBtneicnA@