Know any streaming services that aren't shit?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Kazekai, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Kazekai
    OP

Kazekai GBAtemp Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    United States
    I'm tired of Livestream's 500kb limit
    Twitch doesn't let you stream anything besides games
    Justin.tv has become a complete pain in the ass over the past few months with their bogus severing from Twitch and now I can't even sign up for them with the same username
    Ustream is and has always been garbage
    Any join.me recommendations will be assumed to be trolling.

I wish there was a way to just stream something from my computer to a few friends - without paying for Skype premium, I mean. >_>

EDIT: I'm not looking for a gaming solution, I'm trying to find a way to stream art and videos in decent quality.

2. omgpwn666

omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

Jun 14, 2008
    United States
    Florida
    Not 100% positive, but I believe Google+ Hangouts may have group screen sharing for free. Maybe you could use that to show your game play to some friends.

3. pyromaniac123

pyromaniac123 ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

Sep 24, 2011
    Have you tried azubu.tv?

4. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    IIRC Youtube also has a Streaming service, and from what I hear it's not all that bad.

5. Kazekai
    OP

Kazekai GBAtemp Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    United States
    If I wanted o stream games I'd use Twitch, I'm looking for a way to do art streams as well as sync up watching shows with people (without counting to three or sending a 4 gig archive to 6 people at a time)

I've never heard of it, I'll look into it, thanks.

6. Shadow_Boss

Shadow_Boss Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 19, 2011
    Canada
  7. UltraMew

UltraMew GBATemp's Mew PRETENDING TO BE FOXI4 4 A DAY

Banned
    Aug 7, 2013
    United States
    Flying a blue hedgehog around
    YouTube? :P

8. BowlOfSpiders

BowlOfSpiders hi

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    United States
    Twitch isn't just dedicated to games. (though that's what most people use it for) Go ahead and use Twitch to stream your desktop. I've used them for a while now and they have never let me down.

EDIT: This is a great program for streaming. http://obsproject.com/

Shadow_Boss likes this.
  9. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Hmm, counting down is a way but I am going to have to look at getting a shared remote control for a media player. I have network control but simultaneous and for multiple machines sounds like something I should look into. I might even be sufficiently motivated to develop something.

As for streaming I only ever do it within a LAN (give or take security cameras but they do not really count here) and would infinitely rather edit my videos than upload raw footage so I am out there.

10. omgpwn666

omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

Jun 14, 2008
    United States
    Florida
    Sorry about that, I misunderstood.

11. RedCoreZero

RedCoreZero Creativity is Power

Banned
    Nov 12, 2012
    United States
    Lived in Florida
    Hangouts on Air (HOA) does have screen sharing for anything on your screen, switching back and forth between your camera and your screen, group sharing, and more tools. I'm not sure if it's suitable for gaming and it can get your YouTube Partnership taken away forever pretty quickly.

12. Shadow_Boss

Newcomer
    Dec 19, 2011
    Canada
    i didn't notice you saying the rest of what you wanted the streaming for.

I think what you're looking for is

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

install it on your and your friends pcs, all of you log into one terminal, and enjoy. When you logout, the passwords won't be saved and will change the next time you want to log in, in order to prevent someone trying to screw with your computer.

here's a better explanation.

"The absolute easiest way to get you streaming would be to usehttp://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx . I could then enter your computer with your password that is rendered useless when either one of us logs out. A new password is needed at each log-in. You can just click my name and then click on email Goerge with your user id and password.

Next up is to look at your sounds and see if anything is muted. There is also an option within the livestream brodcaster to adjust the sound. You allow it access to your player which in this case is manycam and then you go into the sound set-up prior to broadcasting. I have used justin.tv + Manycam as well as justin.tv + FME + Manycam or splitcam in order to broadcast live gaming, public domain video and music. Have you tried with Splitcam http://www.splitcamera.com/ or Xsplit http://www.xsplit.com/download/ or VLChttp://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-win... If we got you going with justin.tv you would just have to tell your friends your channel which I believe works similarly to Livestream."

-Goerge from Yahoo answers.

13. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Y'know, if you tried numerous streaming solutions and they all seem to suck... then perhaps your upload rate is simply poor and you should opt for lower quality video and audio or higher compression? :P

14. Forstride

Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

May 6, 2008
    United States
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Wrong you are. Twitch is against non-gaming content, and are cracking down on it even more now due to The Playroom app on PS4.

15. Shadow_Boss

Newcomer
    Dec 19, 2011
    Canada

Probably had a lot to do with the Chaturbate incident lmao...

16. Kazekai
    OP

Kazekai GBAtemp Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    United States
    YouTube is definitely not going to like some of the things I stream and I like my account being in good standing.

I am currently using OBS.

That wouldn't work, there's no way I can convince them all to download that - besides, I tend to broadcast my art streams for the sake of advertising so I do need an open solution.

My upload speed is 5.14mbps. The problem is that I don't have the money to pay for a Pro account on Livestream so I'm just looking for a different solution.

Edit: Twitch works for what I wanted but it doesn't let you stream non-game content. When I tried using justin.tv they wouldn't let me sign in with my Twitch account and they wouldn't let me make a new account because my account details are already on their server from where they're still connected to Twitch. I really don't deserve to be jerked around like that.

17. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]

Assuming you do indeed mean 5.14 Mb/s and not 5.14 MB/s, that is kind of... low for streaming. I have ~32Mb/s upload and I still run into stutter every once in a while when I stream.

18. UltraMew

UltraMew GBATemp's Mew PRETENDING TO BE FOXI4 4 A DAY

Banned
    Aug 7, 2013
    United States
    Flying a blue hedgehog around
    It was a joke.

19. Kazekai
    OP

Kazekai GBAtemp Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    United States
    No, I meant 5.14mbps is my download speed according to this website: http://www.speedtest.net/

It did used to be faster at one point though, I'm pretty sure comcast is speedbumping us again just because they cannot identify everything I download.

Like I said, Twitch works just fine for streaming, but I can only use it for games and I already mentioned the problem I'm having above.