Kirby Epic Yarn keeps freezing during Squashini

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by Jasmine_W, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Jasmine_W
    OP

Jasmine_W Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2018
    United States
    Hello there, I have an issue with one of my games.

Kirby Epic Yarn keeps freezing during the Sqashini boss fight as soon as he brings down the blue drapes.

I've tried via SD and HDD on both USB Loader GX and Configurable USB Loader with same result.

Have modded a couple family Wiis in the past all the same way from stock.

Every other Wii and GameCube game has worked without issue, have passed over 40 games seems odd this one wouldn't work.

This is what I always do:

v10beta53 d2x-v10-beta53-alt
    Base: 56
    Slot: 249
    Rev: 21010

And

v10beta52 d2x-v10-beta52
    Base: 57
    Slot: 250
    Rev: 65535

Anothee person seems to have the same issue as me, but didn't post a resolution.

I will also provide a savedata file up to the point that I'm at in game maybe that will help.

If somone has the time to troubleshoot with me or has a resolution please help thanks.,

Jasmine.

Attached Files:

2. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Guru

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    Bad dump? Also, don't use d2x v10 beta53.

3. Jasmine_W
    OP

Jasmine_W Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2018
    United States
    I was reading a post by one of the admins that said that.

So, write over the 249 with beta52 right?

I'll try this when I get home.

Edit:

Weird, still crashes.

Hmmn any other suggestions?

I thought for sure Cyan was right he's been correct in the past.

If anyone else can test it with the save data up to that point, maybe the issue happens to you too.

If not, let me know your setup please. :^)

I'm fairly certain the game dump is good, but how do I triple check?

Edit:

Question. Will .wbfs files be verified in hash md5/sha-1? Or do I actually need an unscrubbed file in order to check?

Last edited by Jasmine_W, Oct 4, 2018
  4. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Guru

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    Unless you don't know how to use a command line application I'd recommend using Wiimm's ISO Tool to test it. Just use "wit verify <filename>" and it will scan the file(s) and display a table showing the partitions in it and if they're OK or BAD.

I know Epic Yarn is completable without crashes using d2x. I've played it quite a few times. :)

I don't think I've ever seen Cyan recommend v10-beta53 out of hand. The beta53 as 249 and beta52 as 250 was something that was in the Complete Softmod Guide for years before someone finally managed to change it.

5. Jasmine_W
    OP

Jasmine_W Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2018
    United States
    Strange. I've been downloading from the same place for a long time and all games have worked. Guess a collection that big is eventually bound to have at least one bad copy and this was it.

Downloaded from another source at 1:1 (iso NOT wbfs to make sure) and that fixed the prob.

Well thanks a lot for your suggestions wolf ;^)

I think I'll change back to v53 as well, I don't think compatibility will be gone. It has worked for me so far.

Cyan did mention it, if I find the thread I'll link you :^)

I also ended up using Wiibackupmanagers check system and my first copy gave me red text.

The new copy gave me green on both .ISO and .WBFS file types.

Last edited by Jasmine_W, Oct 5, 2018
  6. tswntk

tswntk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 6, 2012
    Switzerland
    @Cyan always says "latest is not the best" (something like that) and this is specifically pointing to v53 vs v52.
    v53 has compatibility issues with Emunand (as stated by the developer himself) and breaks some games and hdd detection. It is only needed if you want to use usb port1 instead of port0 or usb plug and play.

If v53 worked for you that means you haven't tried Emunand and if v52 works for you now, then you don't need port1 support for now. No point reverting back to v53.

7. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    r53 does not work (well, or at all) with games on SD card, specifically kirby? I know kirby don't like SD+r53.
    you need the game on USB, d2x v8 or v10 r52, base56 or 57. (I suggest 57 to have less problems in the future, but I don't know if kirby require 56 or works fine with 57).

the game keeping crashing is more likely due to the bad iso you had first (red in wiibackupmanager).
    it should work fine now.

8. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Guru

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    Was it Epic Yarn? I thought it was Return to Dreamland that was fussy about SD and patches due to MetaFortress.

9. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    ahh, yeah, you are right. I had "kirby" in mind, I didn't make attention to the subtitle :P

Last edited by Cyan, Oct 5, 2018