Kingdom Hearts 3D 60FPS code? (Intended for New 3DS models)

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by ShootingStar, Mar 20, 2018.

?
  1. Yes!

57.1%
  2. No.

10.7%
  3. we don't need "new" 3DS-specific codes you wank

32.1%
  1. ShootingStar
    OP

ShootingStar Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2017
    United States
    The thread title should already give an idea of what i'm hoping for, but basically: Is it possible to make a working 60FPS code for the 3DS version of Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance?
    When using the New 3DS, obviously CFW modded, Kingdom Hearts DDD sees a drastic performance improvement, basically keeping the framerate at a locked 30FPS.
    The game used to have huge drops too, particularly in 3D. In 2D I think it could drop as low as 15FPS, and in 3D, deep into the single digits.

I tried making a 60FPS code once, using the same logic from previous KH 60FPS patches, where the 60FPS patches are just a one-line gameshark code, but to no avail.
    A code that at least functions as intended and caps the game as 60FPS should most definitely be possible, as it shares the same engine as Birth by Sleep on the PSP, which also has a one-line 60FPS code.

(To specify: the type of code i'm talking about are the same as common codes/cheats for other 3DS games using NTR cheat plugins.)

2. CrisFTW

CrisFTW Your Excellency

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    Why bother having a code to improve the game when you can improve it with Luma3DS v9.0 - Rosalina menu

Enable L2 cache
    Set clock rate to 804MHz

Last edited by CrisFTW, Mar 22, 2018
    CaptainSodaPop likes this.
  3. PoppaDre

PoppaDre GBAtemp Regular

Aug 23, 2016
    Canada
    what other settings should be active for new 3ds to get max performance out of it?

4. ShootingStar
    OP

ShootingStar Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2017
    United States
    804MHz clock speed and L2 cache are the best - and probably only relevant options for getting max performance in Kingdom Hearts 3D.
    The boost in performance is huge too.

5. PoppaDre

PoppaDre GBAtemp Regular

Aug 23, 2016
    Canada
    is that the Clock+L2 option under New 3DS CPU/ Im on v 8.1.1 is there new?

6. ShootingStar
    OP

ShootingStar Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2017
    United States
    Yes, that should be the right option. Just select Clock+L2 and it'll drastically boost performance in KH3D, and maybe even more so in other games with heavy drops.

PoppaDre likes this.
  7. Zyvyn

Zyvyn GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 9, 2017
    United States
    theres luma 9.0 out but dont use the luma updater app its broken and has to be updated manually

PoppaDre likes this.
  8. PoppaDre

PoppaDre GBAtemp Regular

Aug 23, 2016
    Canada
    Sorry for the hijack But just updated to v9 manually and my only options are the

New 3DS CPU Clock+L2

and

Show NAND or user string in System Settings

nothing else is needed?

9. ShootingStar
    OP

ShootingStar Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2017
    United States
    Long overdue, and huge bump, but
    Well I know it improves the game quite a lot, but I mean like actually unlocking the FPS so that it can run at full 60FPS. The game is locked at 30FPS.

CrisFTW likes this.
  10. CrisFTW

CrisFTW Your Excellency

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    Then just play the game on the 3DS emulator. I'm sure you can play it at a better resolution and at 60fps

11. Tac 21

Tac 21 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 2, 2008
    Canada
    what woud you get for the FPS jump if it was intended for 30 FPS?

12. CrisFTW

CrisFTW Your Excellency

Jan 10, 2016
    United States
    "Smooth gameplay" on a 3DS

13. granville

granville GBAtemp Goat

Aug 24, 2007
    United States
    Orlando, Florida
    Side note to this topic in case you have a PS4- the HD remaster of KH3D in the Kingdom Hearts 2.8 collection runs at 60fps. All of the Kingdom Hearts ports on PS4 do in fact. That's the only way to get it running at 60fps that I know of at the moment. Incidentally the camera is also immensely better, they zoomed it out away from the character considerably.

Better resolution yes, 60fps no. The game does run great in Citra, but it's still hard locked at 30fps no matter how much extra power you throw at it. It will require someone to either make a romhack or a cheat code to unlock the framerate to 60.

The same benefit as running any other game at 60fps, provided the speed is correct and there aren't any serious glitches it's a major improvement...

There are a lot of codes and hacks out there to get 30fps games running at 60. All the of Kingdom Hearts games on PS2 and PSP have them. I beat Birth By Sleep at 60fps via emulator without encountering any bugs that impeded my progress.

Since this year, i've also been playing Zelda BOTW in Cemu with a framerate unlocker hack. The game was "intended" for 30fps and is locked to that on the Wii U. But it runs absolutely wonderfully in 60fps and is a major improvement IMO.

There is also a 60fps hack available for Mario 64 DS (there's one for the N64 version too)-

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N likes this.
  14. ShootingStar
    OP

ShootingStar Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2017
    United States
    Playing on Citra doesn't magically cap the game at 60FPS, that's not how it works.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I knew about the N64 version's 60FPS Hack, but dang, the DS version as well?
    As for playing KH3D at 60FPS, i'm sure it's possible on the 3DS version since we can use cheat codes in 3DS games in the form of NTR CFW Cheat plugins.
    For New 3DS owners, i'm sure it'd be nice to have 60FPS if they don't have the PS4 version.

15. kikongokiller

kikongokiller GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 12, 2017
    Australia
    A lot of games on the N3DS could use some framerate unlocking codes in all honesty, MGS3D especially. There hasn't been much progress in that department though.

16. ShootingStar
    OP

ShootingStar Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2017
    United States
    Shame that this isn't the case yet, a 60FPS hack for Super Mario 3D Land would be great

RaikuGMR and kikongokiller like this.
  17. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Addict

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Don't think it is even that noticeable on that small screen

18. ShootingStar
    OP

ShootingStar Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2017
    United States
    It definitely is. Play something that runs at 30FPS like Kingdom Hearts 3D, then switch to something 60FPS like Mario Kart 7. It's quite remarkable.

19. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Addict

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Hm if the frametiming is good, i don't think it will be noticeable on a small screen like that. The thing is with kingdom hearts games that they have pretty good frametiming so it doesn't bother me that much

20. kikongokiller

kikongokiller GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 12, 2017
    Australia
    The framerate is noticeable no matter what size screen you have, so it's still pretty annoying having to play stuff like that.