Kingdom Hearts 3D 60FPS code? (Intended for New 3DS models)

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by ShootingStar, Mar 20, 2018.

?
  1. Yes!

55.6%
  2. No.

11.1%
  3. we don't need "new" 3DS-specific codes you wank

33.3%
  1. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Addict

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Frametiming is more noticeable not framerate. People usually complain about framerate but you should complain more about frametiming. A question you could ask is why does 30fps feel different and less noticeable on console then when you lock the framerate 30fps on pc. I'm a big pc gamer myself and always use 144hz/fps min but the thing people always make mistakes with is that framerate matters. No it does not, frametiming matters.
    Take a game like monster hunter and play it on ps4 or xbox and then do the same on pc and lock the framerate to 30. The difference is huge. even when both are played in 30fps

Last edited by kumikochan, Oct 12, 2018 at 1:46 AM
  2. kikongokiller

kikongokiller GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 12, 2017
    Australia
    Regardless of whatever you wanna call it or refer to it as, where does that leave us in terms of improving this issue for problematic games?

3. kumikochan

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    I don't think you can do much about it because the game has been built up from the ground with 30fps in mind. Increasing it to 60fps would break a lot of stuff

kikongokiller likes this.
  4. ShootingStar
    OP

ShootingStar Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2017
    United States
    It was more-less the PS2 KH games that would break from 60FPS. Kingdom Hearts 1 isn't beatable at 60FPS due to cutscene glitches, and Kingdom Hearts II had doubled gravity.
    Birth by Sleep, which uses the same engine that KH3D would later use, doesn't break nearly as much, and all the animations and stuff play at the correct speed.
    Logically to me, that would mean KH3D would have little issues if capped to 60FPS if a game using the same engine didn't break all that much.

5. kumikochan

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    it could be but you don't know for sure till you unlock it. Maybe it would work but for me the frametiming is really good so it doesn't bug me that much that it is 30fps on 3ds

6. granville

granville GBAtemp Goat

Aug 24, 2007
    United States
    Orlando, Florida
    I've been testing it. It works fairly well from what I can see besides a couple of minor issues (mostly animation related from what I can tell, such as collecting and using keys). I actually prefer the way the 60fps was implemented for the DS version, the N64 version's 60fps hack I believe uses a sort of artificial interpolation effect instead and isn't as smooth as the DS hack.

I don't know how well this runs on real DS hardware, been using an emulator to try it out. It should work on a real DS as well, but will probably slow down at some points.

Snake Eater 3D's performance is shockingly horrible. It's locked to 20fps to begin with (the original had occasional performance dips as well but was at least locked at a higher 30). But it frequently drops into the low teens and even sometimes single digits. And playing on the New 3DS via homebrew to unlock the extra CPU speed doesn't completely fix this either, cutscenes still constantly drop into the mid teens.

I'm suspicious there's poorly optimized GPU programming causing some of these dips, beyond just the CPU speed. The GPU in New 3DS did not receive a bump in clock speed like the CPU did.

There are also other issues with Snake Eater 3D besides the horrible framerate too. The jungle foliage has significant reductions in both density and draw distance. Though the lighting is slightly better and they added a crouch walk move which was welcome (though this is negated by the controls being worse in other ways).

The best way would probably be the PS3 version. I think that version runs at 60fps. Vita port seems to run at a fairly solid 30fps most of the time.

Though for anyone with a powerful enough PC (it seems to run fairly well on my 4670k at 4ghz), there's a 60fps hack for the PS2 version for use in PCSX2.

Last edited by granville, Oct 12, 2018 at 9:25 AM
    plug313 likes this.
  7. plug313

plug313 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2016
    I wonder if there is anyone who can help us unlock the frame rate for these games. it's definitely possible and we won't know if it breaks anything unless we try. if we're lucky nothing will break and the games will play better thanks to the New 3DS extra power

8. granville

granville GBAtemp Goat

Aug 24, 2007
    United States
    Orlando, Florida
    There are quite a number of people in the communities for other emulators who have made 60fps hacks, generally via cheats. I know of Retroben from Project64 has done some for N64 games (and there are a couple of others who have done N64 framerate hacks too). Also asasega from the PCSX2 forums made a ton of PS2 60fps hacks. There's a handful of people from the PPSSPP forums as well as Dolphin who have done it for those respective emulators (the forums have threads with a list of the 60fps hacks). But i've yet to see anyone attempt any such hacks for 3DS games, don't know if there's an interest from anyone with the skills to do it.