King Has Trademarked the Word "Candy"

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    King, if you're not in the know, is the developer of the popular Candy Crush Saga game for mobile devices (and Facebook) everywhere. You swine.

Like all companies, King wants to protect their property. That's pretty reasonable. Like all kings, however, they want total control over their subjects. This is a little less reasonable.

:arrow:GameZebo

Yeah, I know how it is. Today it's the video games and clothing, tomorrow it's the strippers and music. Somebody get Aaron Carter on the line, he needs to know!

Now for all the boring, bland caveats. Like the news blurb said, this is limited to the realm of video games and clothing (Because merchandising!). While all of this is in writing and on the books, continuing to enforce something like this might be another matter entirely. Plus, of course, candy companies can't be sued because "candy" is used to identify their product, not as a trademark.

Still, this is pretty blatant shenanigans on King's part, and it really hurts smaller developers who may not be able to afford the legal fees necessary to fight back.

Welcome to the future, everyone. Welcome to the King-dumb.

2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Ha, good look enforcing this shit King.

3. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    Oh boy more ridiculous issues thanks to copyright claims. This is worse than a patent troll or someone who sits on a domain though. Seriously copyrighting a word? Jesus.

4. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    I'm not sure where this lands between Scrolls, Edge (aka Tim Langdall iirc) and rounded rectangles, but it probably beats at least two of those.

5. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Protip, copyright =/= Trademark. A copyright implies it's your own original content, whereas a trademark just identifies that the product you're using is from a certain company.

Qtis likes this.
  6. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States

Ah much thanks, I always make that mistake when I talk about this stuff in a hurry.

7. chavosaur

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    What the actual fuck.

8. Dimensional

Dimensional GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 7, 2008
    United States
    Texas
    I look at this and I think of two things: 1) The patent offices seem to be so poor they'll sell the trademark to life itself to the highest bidder if they could, and 2) most game companies now can't use the word candy for anything, and as such will have to change the word to something more broad like Sweets or specific for the various objects in the game, like chocolate, sugar, lollipop, etc

Just goes to show how far governments and corporations will go for power. And so far nobody is smart enough to stop them, nor willing to, nor can. The world is doomed!!!!! XP

9. Dork

Dork Newbie

How in the fuck did this get approved?

10. DaggerV

DaggerV Archmagi of the Emerald Moon

Dec 3, 2009
    United States
    King-dumb, I love it.

On side note, just another day in an attempt to grab more money.

11. spinal_cord

spinal_cord Knows his stuff

Jul 21, 2007
    somewhere
    Yet another example of how screwed up the whole copyright/trademark mess is.

12. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    ...and there's your problem. What kind of monkeys are running that US trademark office? The game is candy crush saga. Not candy. Or did they register the names "crush" and "saga" as well?

Fuck it. I'm just going to create a simple 'hello world' program and put it on the internet. I'll call it "the ultimate game challenge". Then I'll register "the", "ultimate", "game" and "challenge" for trademarks. And if any of those sleazy thieves DARE to copy ANY PART OF MY GAME, then I'll sue their asses*!!!!! :angry:

And speaking of monkeys...does this mean that nintendo is getting sued if they dare include Candy Kong in tropical freeze**? :unsure:

*okay: I'll settle for a meager 10% of their profit. but they better pay me! :grog:
    **fuck...just in case this happens, I better register claims of headlines like "King takes on Kong", "they're aiming to be King of Kong". ;)

13. BORTZ

BORTZ Don't pretend you aren't impressed

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    :mellow: wut

Warning: Spoilers inside!

14. bowser

bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

Sep 1, 2008
    India
    GBAtemp ↑↑↓↓← → ← →BA
    So you're saying Nintendo can't use Candy Kong in their games anymore? And Playboy girls can't wear chocolate panties?

EDIT: ninja'd!

15. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Iggy Pop now owes them 370 thousand dollars :mellow:

16. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    If we are doing music videos now

Back on topic it seems like the trademark division of the USPTO is trying to one up the stupidity of the patent division.

17. XDel

XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Solaris
    Copy Right laws need to be abolished! Humanity survived thousands of years without them and will be fine if we let go of them now.

18. Sheimi

Sheimi A cute Vixen!

Oct 22, 2009
    United States
    This is why this makes America look like a total shithole.

19. frogboy

frogboy lacking both style and grace

Dec 6, 2011
    United States
    Oh well. It's not like Candy Crush made me entirely sick of candy or anything.

20. Walker D

Walker D I have a hat

Nov 15, 2009
    Brazil
    My home
    This is not copyright protection ...this is fuc** expression banning ..wtf? ...denying the use of words? This trademarks shit is taming society and slowing down or evolution...