Killed my DS Lite swapping cases

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by thesund0g, Sep 11, 2010.

Sep 11, 2010
  1. thesund0g
    OP

Member thesund0g GBAtemp Fan

Antarctica
    Well, I think I damaged the ribbon connector while swapping cases on my DS Lite. It powers up briefly, the lower LCD flashes a second then it stops. Meanwhile, the green power LED kicks on, gets a little brighter, then shuts off.

I tore it down a second time, got it to boot fully once out of several tries, and now it won't boot again, so I'm guessing I shorted the upper-half ribbon connector per the description here: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=98240 -- also the teardown I followed.

If so, is this what I need to buy: http://www.divineo.com/cgi-bin/div-us/zz-dsl-lcdtop

Also, I don't see the speaker connection there, do I have to solder or did they just crop it out? If someone can recommend a cheaper US retailer (or heck, CA if it's much cheaper) I'd really appreciate it. Am I just better off buying a dead DSLite on ebay?

Thanks!

2. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    Well, if you ruined the ribbon cable...then you will need to get a new top screen. I got mine from DealExtreme, but divineo is also good if I recall correctly. You have to take the speakers from the original and resolder them onto the new screen.

3. thesund0g
    OP

Antarctica
    That's what i was afraid of. But I need to confirm that's the problem before I throw down $30-ish on the thing.

4. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    If you can get it working correctly at all, then your ribbon cable is probably fine and you could have just left the connection loose on accident...
    Here is the product at DealExtreme, although it's based in China I think.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3161

5. RoMee

Member RoMee ??

United States
    I did the same thing to my ds lite..
    the hinge broke so I swapped out the case for a new shock clear case
    after I was done I ran into the same problem

I got tired of it so I sold it for $30 and bought DSi xl

I still don't know what I did wrong..I'm gussing it's the flat wire too, but I don't know that for sure

6. Cuber

Member Cuber GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I also did the same thing.. don't give it to a friend you think is trust worthy to fix though.. you'll never see it again. >_>;;

Tho, after a few tries of trying to put the ribbon cable into the connector on the motherboard(The white bit, don't know its technical name name) I did manage to get it to turn on and stay on.. but the top screen looked like this..

[​IMG]
    ooer..

Did you find the curling the ribbon cable to get it back through the hole difficult at all? I did... but I do kind of suck.

7. thesund0g
    OP

Antarctica
    Yeah I had a hard time with it, but I made the mistake of doing it when I was WAY too tired and shaky. I will be more careful next time. [​IMG] I think I only got it working once by coincidence, I retried the connection about a dozen times.