Kickstarter Was Hacked

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Gahars, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]

Kickstarters and stoppers alike, take note:
    :arrow:Kickstarter Blog

For more info, read the Knicked-starter Kickstarter Blog.

2. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Kinda glad I never got into the whole Kickstarter thing and never made an account or anything

3. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Just like how I was so glad I didn't have a PS3 back when PlayStation Network got hacked.

ProtoKun7, Narayan, Kalker3 and 2 others like this.
  4. w!!

w!! GBAtemp Regular

Apr 24, 2009
    United States
    Ever shop at:

Target
    Neiman Marcus
    TJ Maxx
    Barnes and Noble
    ... the list goes on.

Things like this happen all the time. That's why you should do a few simple things to protect yourself... Use only credit cards, not debit or bank accounts on sites. At least here in the US, credit card companies give you immunity to the fraud charges. I like to use only one card specifically for online purchases that I have set up for alerts when charges are made. Also, use a unique username, email address and password for these sites different from your bank and other financial sites.

You shouldn't shy away from using new sites/technologies/buying stuff because of stuff like this... but you should use caution and understand the risks to better protect yourself for when this stuff happens.

pokefloote and windman410 like this.
  5. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Possibly hacked by someone who didn't meet their goal.

6. gbatempfan1

gbatempfan1 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 2, 2010
    While they can target a single users password and try to recover it, especially if it was weak, because they used salt on the old passwords and bcrypt on the new, if they used those properly, at this time it would be computationally ineffective to recover everybody's password. So for the most part the list of passwords should still remain encrypted for a relatively long time, weeks, months, perhaps even years.

7. Mario92

Mario92 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 20, 2010
    Finland
    Finland
    Credit card information is mostly handled by Amazon and no need for password when using Facebook Connect. So I'll just leave this very old maymay here:
    [​IMG]

8. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    I don't have a kickstarter account. But my thoughts go out to those who lost their personal information. And do public service announcements count as news?

9. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

If the reporting of the news also serves as a public service announcement, why wouldn't it?

VatoLoco likes this.
  10. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    I thought about what I'd written and came up with this: public service announcements are news, but with a twist. They're kind of like advertisements: information is revealed in the hopes that you'll take action based on the contents of the ad. Or maybe I'm just being silly. I think that's more likely.

11. FireGrey

FireGrey Undercover Admin

Apr 13, 2010
    Someone should start a kickstarter to finish the job.

12. WhiteMaze

WhiteMaze GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 16, 2013
    Seriously?

Virtual Debit Cards people.

Each time you want to purchase something, you create one and use it. Lets say you want to buy something for 20$. The limit for the card is 20$.

So even if a hacker gets access to your Virtual Card information, the limit has been reached. The card is now useless because all it had was 20$ to spend.

I have never used a Credit Card online and never will. Many people got jacked, I'm not going to become one of them.

Because what Credit Card companies say that they do, in case of fraud, is one thing, what they are actually willing to do when such fraud happens is another.

They usually do what's in those small little almost invisible letters at the end of your contract that you couldn't even read because you didn't bring your glasses.

I don't trust it.

13. ProtoKun7

ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

Global Moderator
    Jan 3, 2009
    Gallifrey
    That's a good point, actually. I didn't have a PSN account at all until I bought a Vita, long after the hack. I didn't get a PS3 until later still.

14. dragonblood9999

dragonblood9999 GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 27, 2007
    Canada
    you mean MBNET right? i used to use that when i lived in Portugal. i don't think that Canada has something like that

15. WhiteMaze

Jun 16, 2013
    Yeh, MBNET.

I mean, there's bound to be other services like that, no?

You should check with your Bank to see if they offer anything of the sort.

Safest thing ever.

16. dragonblood9999

dragonblood9999 GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 27, 2007
    Canada
    the only thing my bank(BMO) has is mastercard credit cards or a travelers mastercard, that i can load money on to it when i need

17. WhiteMaze

Jun 16, 2013
    That sucks :/

Well, be careful then. And use Paypal for safer purchases.

18. w!!

w!! GBAtemp Regular

Apr 24, 2009
    United States
    I did preface that with how they deal with it in the US.... :)

I know they have different policies in European Countries and other areas... I've had fairly good experiences with the credit card companies... they are too afraid to lose you as a customer than worry about a charge most of the time.

And yes, debit or virtual debit cards are a better idea, but more hassle and sometimes more cost. Paypal is a good alternative too, but imagine if that account got compromised. I've been burned by them before with ebay purchases where I reported it within the 45 day window and they claim that I waited to long even though I sent them their own confirmation email.

19. WhiteMaze

Jun 16, 2013
    Well it all comes down to preferences.