• Views 2,973
  • Replies 14

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, assuming marcan is right about encryption keys not being copyrightable, then there has been a misconception amongst our community about the sharing of such keys.

I have somewhat realised this before, since hackmii has hosted the common-key for a long time without trouble.

Probably in the past we have taken a 'safe rather than sorry' approach, which isn't really wrong.

Mrkinator

Neil Peart Wannabe
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
icefireicefire said:
Illegal in USA - DMCA restrictions.

Not illegal in the more sane parts of the world.
Canada FTW!

The common key is what originally drove WADder out of GBAtemp. (I'm glad that happened
tongue.gif
)

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Mrkinator said:
icefireicefire said:
Illegal in USA - DMCA restrictions.

Not illegal in the more sane parts of the world.
Canada FTW!

The common key is what originally drove WADder out of GBAtemp. (I'm glad that happened
tongue.gif
)

Edit*: Whoops, i read WiiBrew and not GBAtemp, my comment is about WiiBrew.
Nope. It was using nintendo channels as base for channel wads, and having them spread all over the official WADder homepage. Marcan had a big problem with that, just making a page on WiiBrew that is 100% legal itself is not enough for him when you find 100 illegal channels if you follow the link. And i think there might has been the one or other problem as well.

dark42

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
IANAL but I'm pretty sure as long as you host the key.bin outside the US you shouldn't concern yourself with the DMCA.
Even in the US, just host it anyway, and if Ninty sends you a DMCA takedown notice then take it down. That way you're legal. I don't think they can just go and sue you, they have to send a takedown notice first.

Once again I would like to mention that I Am Not A Lawyer and this is not legal advice.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: oh shit where??? :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: